Cybersecurity Business Management
“The global cybersecurity market is set to grow from its current market value of more than $120 billion to over $300 billion by 2024.”
Why Cyber Security Business Management?
After extensive market research and feedback from IT professionals, professors, and businesses, an immense shortage was identified for technical cybersecurity personnel with the requisite business skills to transition into management roles. The career opportunities for someone with these skills is enormous and expanding rapidly.
Conveniently located near the company headquarters for the world leader in digital security, AUS is uniquely positioned to offer its students access to superlative professors, internships, and company visits that is unparalleled by any other institute of higher learning. This unique offering has helped make AUS the gold standard in Cybersecurity Business Management and a highly sought after destination for students around the world.
Why an AUS degree
AUS’s commitment to the ultimate student experience includes the right number of faculty members to guarantee small class sizes and the subsequent personal support to students in and outside the classroom. Small class sizes ensure full engagement with the professor leading the learning as well as fellow students from a range of professional and cultural backgrounds.
AUS offers a tailored education, with practical and theoretical courses, which are relevant to today’s market. Prioritizing the latest business subjects, the highly motivated and ambitious staff and administration at AUS are dedicated to the academic and personal development of students, working closely on a one-to-one basis to help them achieve their career objectives.
Full access to various databases such as EBSCO, ProQuest, Financial Times and other services are available on and off the campus along with access to academic and industry experts, and through a curriculum shaped by current research and professional practice to maximize your career progression.
Practical and Relevant
A career-path organization combining theory with practical experience, AUS is committed to the training and development of its students, empowering them to take the career path that suits them best.
An international, multicultural environment based in Switzerland, AUS is one of Switzerland’s leading business universities situated in La Tour-de-Peilz on the beautiful shores of Lake Geneva and is privileged to have the likes of global corporations and organizations such as Nestlé, Hublot, the United Nations and the International Olympic Committee within easy travelling distance from campus.
AUS’s backing by internationally recognized and strong local organizations provides the assurance of quality education for its students. It is recognized as a university by multiple accreditation bodies including the U.S based International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE), and the European Council for Business Education (ECBE). It also belongs to the Swiss-American Chamber of Commerce, Fédération Suisse des Ecoles Privées (FSEP), Association Vaudoise des Ecoles Privées (AVDEP) as well as Promove.
What You Will Learn
With three new programs starting in September of 2019, AUS is bridging the gap between technical and management expertise. At AUS, we recognize that cybersecurity is not just a technical problem. It is a business problem. IT, Policy, Legal, Sales, Human Resources, and Corporate Governance must work in tandem. To foster this atmosphere of engagement and to truly drive value in an organization, IT experts must learn the management skills necessary to interface across the organization effectively. Recognizing the need for this skillset in the market, AUS has developed a holistic approach to educating tomorrow's leaders in cybersecurity operations and management.
All courses are taught onsite by AUS professors, who are distinguished thought leaders in the fields of cybersecurity, blockchain technology, and business management. The curriculum is comprised of ever-evolving theory and real-world practical examples, and internships are required for Bachelor’s and Master’s candidates during the Spring quarter of each academic year.
While at AUS, you will acquire the necessary skills to fast-track your management career in cybersecurity. Grounded in cutting-edge business theory, you will learn to sell your ideas while establishing, implementing, and overseeing a cybersecurity structure for an organization. Applying theory to real-world scenarios, you will complete several practical objectives, such as creating a security strategy that combines governance, compliance, and technology viewpoints. Moreover, you will gain advanced knowledge in organizational structures, communication, operational business processes, and the legal framework for cybersecurity policy.
- Communicating, Problem Solving, and Leading in Cybersecurity
- Foundations in Cybersecurity Management
- Cybersecurity Governance
- Risk Management and Organizational Resilience
- Cybersecurity Program Development
- Cybersecurity - Protecting client privacy as a competitive advantage
- Capstone in Cybersecurity
- Develop a cybersecurity program for an organization.
- Create cybersecurity policies for an organization.
- Perform a cybersecurity threat analysis, including a vulnerability assessment, and in tandem, develop a risk management approach for an organization.
- Form and implement cyber incident response procedures based on management best practices.
The above objectives consider the specific requirements for both government entities and private-sector organizations.
To obtain a degree, students will need to complete:
- 13 core modules/courses
- 8 specialist modules/courses
Modules/Courses are selected by the administration depending on student requests and faculty availability and include topics such as finance, economics, management, law, and marketing principles.
The academic year usually begins in September and ends in July with three academic terms (Fall, Winter, and Spring) during this period. Each term includes eleven weeks of study, plus one week of examinations. Examination periods usually occur in the middle and end of each term. Holiday periods usually occur in December and Spring. The long Summer break is in July/August.
- Courses: September - December
- Holidays: Winter Break: 4 weeks
- Courses: January - March
- Holidays: Spring Break: 3 weeks
- Courses: April - July
- Holidays: Summer Break: 12 weeks
Master's Degree Requirements
The conferring of a MIBA degree from AUS follows only after completing the following requirements:
- Academic credit requirements;
- Academic performance requirements (Cumulative GPA of 3.0.);
- Attendance requirements and residency requirements.
In addition, all outstanding accounts must be settled with the administration before graduation.
Transfer credits may be accepted from other recognized colleges and universities for those courses, which apply to AUS’s programs. Advanced Placement (AP) credits obtained at the high school level may be applied to an undergraduate program. Transfer credits may only be awarded for a grade of C (75%) or higher. All graduating students must complete at least half of their Academic Credit requirements at AUS.
How to Apply
The American University in Switzerland will consider all completed applications and will contact applicants within a reasonable period of time, as soon as a decision has been made. Admission to AUS is however subject to a limited number of enrollments; it is, therefore, possible that not all qualified applicants are always accepted.
All applicants must demonstrate an excellent academic record signaling their potential for success in a given field of study and complete the following AUS admission procedures.
Entry to the master’s program requires completion and graduation from a recognized undergraduate program. AUS may require students who do not have an undergraduate degree in business or who are academically challenged to take additional undergraduate level courses. Graduates of non-American institutions of higher learning must be able to document that their degree is equivalent to a recognized bachelor’s degree. Certified translations in English are required for all records, not in English.
A minimum of six months full-time or one-year part-time work experience is recommended but is not required, before entering the graduate program. One of the recommendation letters must come from an employer or supervisor.
The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) test is recommended but not required for graduate-level applicants.
The general requirements for all applicants include the completed application form and payable fees in addition to the documents listed below. The applicant should ensure that these documents are sent to AUS in good time before a course of study begins.
- Request Application Form
- Submit completed and signed application form
- Photographs: Six (6) passport size photographs must be included with the application form that is submitted to AUS. Most of these photographs are required by the local authorities and for student visas.
- Recommendations: Two (2) confidential letters of recommendation from instructors or employers who are familiar with the applicant’s past performance must be sent directly to AUS. Certified translations must also be submitted for all letters not in English.
- Résumé or CV: A brief written account of the applicant’s strengths and accomplishments. Include personal details, education, work experience, other qualifications, and career expectations.
- Transcripts: Applicants must submit official transcripts for all applicable academic work done at the secondary or university-level institutions in the past five (5) years. Transcripts must be sent directly by the institutions to AUS. Certified translations must also be submitted for all documents not in English.
- Motivation Letter: The essay or motivation letter should be at least 500 words in length. You should tell the story of your academic development and any other work experience you have had in a first-person narrative. You should explain your reasons for applying and how you expect AUS to further improve your present career goals.
- Language Proficiency: Proficiency will normally be recognized if students have completed any of the following conditions:
- a. Attendance for at least three recent full years of study in an institution where the sole language of instruction is English.
- b. Obtaining Standard level or higher, in the International Baccalaureate (IB).
- If none of these conditions apply, proof of proficiency in English must be provided by achieving the appropriate score on one of the following:
- At least 550 scores in a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- At least a 6.0 score in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- An application must include all of these items in order to be considered for the admissions process.
AUS operates on a rolling admissions basis, which requires that completed application materials, as well as all academic records and the applicable fee, be received by AUS a minimum of 10 weeks before the start of term. If accepted, you will receive an official Letter of Acceptance and an invitation to enroll. At this time, you will also be advised of any additional information that should be provided in order to complete your file. A payment schedule of the tuition and fees due is indicated in the Offer Letter sent within the Letter of Acceptance.
- Registration Fee: CHF 3,500
- Tuition Fee: CHF 30,500
- Total: CHF 34,000
*All prices are in Swiss Francs (CHF)
*Tuition and fees may be subject to change without prior notice
A number of additional expenses should be expected by students, which are not covered by the tuition fees and will need to be accounted for separately. Additional expenses may include:
- Health insurance
- Social activities/trips
- Photocopying costs
All fees are quoted in CHF (Swiss Francs). As AUS – The American University in Switzerland is a private institution, all students pay the same fees regardless of nationality. Fees are reviewed from time to time and may change from those listed.
The University reserves the right to make such alterations or amendments as necessary.
How to pay
Application and registration fees must be paid before the visa application process. Tuition fees must be paid at least two weeks before the start date of the academic program. If the payment is not done, you may not enroll and start classes until payment has been made. Payments may be made by bank transfer or in person. A student will not be fully registered until full payment is received. Tuition and services may be withdrawn in the case of non-payment.
If you begin a program of study and then wish to withdraw, you must advise the Administration in writing. Any refund will be made according to our Refund Policy.
Note: This process may take a few months.
AUS offers a number of scholarships and bursaries to help you with your education. More information may be collected from our Administration team directly.
The AUS teaching method and the experiences beyond the classroom will ensure that graduates are ready to face the business world of tomorrow. Depending on the chosen curriculum and course work, graduates can aspire to follow these business paths:
- Business owner: Understanding the risks and advantages, the business owner serves as the chief decision-maker, installing trust through sound decision making and rational thinking; and controlling business activities, budget, and resources.
- Operational risk manager: evaluating all operations to identify the risks and rewards within a business, a professional manager who can communicate effectively and influence key decision-makers.
- Finance manager: a numbers expert who can manage the books of a business and can analyze and forecast for the benefit of senior management and decision-makers.
- Business development manager: A visionary who can focus on accounting management, building business plans and relationships to ensure maximum efficiency and growth in business operations.
- Senior product market manager: Implementing marketing strategies to maximize public relations opportunities and marketing tools such as digital and traditional media.
About the School
Preparing you for the business of tomorrow, the American University in Switzerland is one of Switzerland’s leading international business universities situated in La Tour-de-Peilz on the beautiful sho ... Read More