Apply between 4 December 2018 - 23 January 2019
- Degree: Master of Administrative Sciences, Master of Science (Economics and Business Administration), or Master of Social Sciences, depending on specialisation
- Duration: 2 years
- Extent: 120 ECTS
- Start date: August 2018
- Tuition fee for non-EU/EEA students: 12 000 € / year
Read more about Scholarships New kinds of leadership skills are in demand at local, national, international and global levels. The challenges societies face have increased in complexity. Environmental and energy problems, the dynamics of global security, management of regional crises, provision of cost-effective public services and development of fertile grounds for entrepreneurship and business development are all systemic in nature. This means that various institutions and civil society actors must work together, negotiate and agree on the new ways of doing things. Master's degree programme in Leadership for Change enables developing the kind of knowledge and expertise that is needed to explain and understand complex phenomena, become a visionary leader, and to change the world. In the programme, leadership is understood as a capability to deal with change. Major changes require joint efforts of the government, private companies and other institutions. The Faculty of Management at the University of Tampere provides a unique setting for studying multifaceted leadership dynamics. We bring together the perspectives of business and management from the private sector, the understanding about institutions and governance from the public administration, as well as the knowledge of international relations and political processes from the area of politics. The faculty offers high-quality academic research and teaching in the fields of business, public administration and politics - and the Leadership for Change programme focus on the intersection of these fields. The aim of the programme is to provide the student with a unique understanding of these different fields with a specific focus on leading the dynamics of societal change processes.
The programme has three specialisations:
- Governance for Sustainable Change
- Politics in Wider Europe
- Sustainable Business Management
Why Leadership for Change?
Leadership for Change programme is a unique combination of Administrative Sciences, Business Studies and Politics. The programme enables developing the kind of knowledge and expertise that is needed to explain and understand complex phenomena, become a visionary leader, and to change the world. The three specialisations of the programme give students an excellent opportunity to focus on their area of interest while gaining a broader understanding of the central topics of the programme. Students from all specialisations take part in joint courses focusing on cross-disciplinary perspectives on leadership in complex societal processes. The Faculty of Management at the University of Tampere seeks novel ways to lead, govern and study across boundaries. The combination of the three adjacent fields is internationally rare and one of its kind in Finland.
After completing the Master’s degree programme in Leadership for Change you will have:
- an advanced understanding of the role of leadership in solving contemporary challenges at local, national, regional and global levels
- learned to examine global trends such as digitization, urbanization, climate change, ageing, polarization, democratization and integration from a multidisciplinary perspective
- the skills to foster new forms of engagement across sectors of the economy and society learned in interaction with staff members from various disciplines – business, governance, politics and international relations – as well as with different societal stakeholders
- the theoretical and methodological skills to formulate relevant research problems and to undertake independent scientific work
- the skills to analyse and debate the challenges that leadership faces today and to communicate your views to multiple audiences using different channels of communication.
The programme (120 ECTS credits) consists of four elements:
- Joint programme studies (30 ECTS) form the core of the master’s degree programme. The focus is on cross-disciplinary perspectives on leadership in complex societal processes. This module also focuses on a variety of important academic and employability skills (e.g. research methods, academic writing and presentation skills)
- The advanced studies module (25 ECTS) enables the students to acquire in-depth theoretical, methodological and conceptual knowledge in their chosen specialisation: business, politics or public administration.
- Through free-choice studies (25 ECTS) students can develop a unique profile to their studies based on individual interests.
- Master’s thesis (40 ECTS) is an individual research project that enables the student to demonstrate his/her in-depth knowledge of the chosen specialisation.
The programme prepares the graduates to work in private, public or the third sector in tasks that involve analysing, planning and steering complex change processes, which unfold at local, national, international and global levels. Students learn to carry out academic research on these phenomena and acquire skills required for a potential academic career.
Doctoral study opportunities
The programme gives eligibility for postgraduate studies in Administrative Sciences, Social Sciences (International Relations, Political Science) and Business Studies, for example in UTA’s Doctoral Programme of Faculty of Management.
To be eligible to apply for a Master’s degree programme at the University of Tampere, you must have
- a completed university-level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the field of the desired Master’s degree programme or in a closely related subject AND
- fluency in English sufficiently advanced for academic studies. For requirements, please see Language requirements.
Programme specific eligibility criteria
Eligible to apply to the Master's degree programme in Leadership for Change (LFC) is a person who:
- has completed a university-level Bachelor's degree or equivalent in the field of Administrative Sciences, Business Administration or Political Science/International Relations (according to the student's desired specialisation(s) within LFC) or another relevant field.
- Specialisation in Governance for Sustainable Change: field of Administrative Sciences or another relevant field
- Specialisation in Politics in Wider Europe: field of Political Science/International Relations or another relevant field
- Specialisation in Sustainable Business Management: field of Business Administration or another relevant field
The Bachelor's degree or equivalent must be completed by the time the programme begins. If the degree is not completed by the end of the application period, an applicant can be accepted to the programme on the condition that she/he sends the degree certificate to the University by 31 July 2018. An attested copy of the degree certificate must reach the University of Tampere Admissions office by the deadline. A successful applicant will, in this case, first receive a notification on conditional acceptance and later an official letter of acceptance once the degree certificate has reached the University of Tampere. Applicants with a Master’s degree will be admitted to the programme only for well-founded reasons.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 5, 2018