Master’s Degree Programme in Embedded Computing
Become an expert in embedded systems design!
The master’s degree programme in embedded computing gives profound knowledge in the field of embedded computing, cyber-physical systems (CPS) and the internet of things (IoT). The programme builds an understanding of theoretical issues and practical competencies for challenging design tasks in the field of embedded systems.
In order to master the development process, you will obtain a firm foundation of design methods, software and hardware architectures, as well as programming of embedded systems. Together with innovation and entrepreneurship studies, the Programme enables you to work in the embedded systems industry from start-ups to large-scale enterprises.
After graduation, you can pursue a career in academia, industry or the public sector.
PROGRAMME IN BRIEF
1. Advanced-level studies in the major subject (65-70 ECTS)
- Compulsory courses.
- Compulsory as well as optional courses.
2. Optional and language studies (20-25 ECTS)
- Optional studies in the minor subject (20 ECTS)
- Language Studies (0-5 ECTS)
3. Master’s thesis (30 ECTS)
Academic excellence & experience
Master’s Degree Programme in Embedded Computing is a two-year programme in the field of technology. It is designed to give you an understanding of theoretical issues for starting PhD studies in the fields of embedded computing, cyber-physical systems (CPS) and the internet of things (IoT). It also provides you with practical competencies for challenging engineering jobs in the embedded systems industry.
The goal of the Programme is to offer education on modern embedded system design and modelling. Both hardware and software aspects are covered. You will obtain a firm foundation to design, model and implement embedded systems, including cyber-physical and IoT systems as well.
To master the development process, you will have an understanding of:
- design constraints.
- hardware/software trade-offs.
- design methods and software.
- hardware architectures.
- low-level programming of embedded and IoT systems.
Research in the Programme focuses on the Internet of Things (IoT), novel massively parallels computing platforms and paradigms, as well as autonomous embedded and cyber-physical systems (CPS). The key application domains for the research are personal health, safety, and well-being. The focus is on application development and implementation tools for multiprocessor platforms that are developed within the laboratory and wireless sensor networks.
Master's thesis & topics
In the Master’s thesis, you must prove your ability to do scientific work. You need to master management of research methods, knowledge of the research field and skill of scientific writing.
The goal of the Master’s thesis is:
- to train independent problem solving for demanding research questions.
- to train presentation and argumentation skills, both oral and written.
- to train search and critical evaluation of information.
- to develop an ability to engage in a constructive dialogue with related disciplines.
- to gain insight into actual research and development work as well as the possibilities and constraints of embedded computing methods in the application domain and in the society at large.
Examples of thesis topics:
- Internet of Things Platform Interchangeability with Radiation Meter.
- Embedded System Design of Touch Panel Screen for IoT Applications.
- Task Migration Implement for Fault-Aware Resource Management of Networked Many-Core Systems.
- Hybrid Memory for Next Generation Chip.
- Interoperability Solutions for IoT Protocols via Intelligent Gateway.
- Parallelization of Sorting Algorithms with GPU.
- Embedded Service Bus for Internet of Things Interoperability.
CO-OPERATION WITH OTHER PARTIES
The laboratory of the Programme also participates in the EIT Digital Master School. The Master School is a collaboration with several European technical universities. In the EIT Digital Master School, the laboratory hosts Embedded Systems major’s Internet of Things and Energy Efficient Computing specialization track.
EIT Digital is a leading European digital innovation and entrepreneurial education organization. Its goal is to drive Europe’s digital transformation. For more information, see https://masterschool.eitdigital.eu/programmes/es/
You will be offered a multidisciplinary education which addresses the systematic design of embedded systems from both hardware and software perspective.
In the Programme, you will:
- gain profound knowledge in the field of embedded computing.
- learn to model, design and verify advanced embedded solutions.
- gain an understanding of the factors that influence hardware/software trade-offs.
- learn to carry out research in the field, analyze research results and perform innovative design tasks.
- gain competences for postgraduate studies in the field of embedded computing.
The employment percentage of those holding a Master of Science (in Technology) degree is high in Finland. The degrees from this Programme cover different topical areas of embedded computing well. The education benefits from co-operation with companies in the region, especially in terms of optional Capstone projects.
Based on the personally planned expertise profile, successful careers in the IT sector as embedded computing experts are achievable both Finland and abroad. Graduates are able to pursue careers in the IT industry as embedded computing specialists and experts.
Possible job titles are:
- systems architect.
- software architect.
- hardware architect.
- specialist or engineer.
- entrepreneur in embedded or control systems engineering.
Career in research
Master of Science degree provides eligibility for scientific postgraduate degree studies. Postgraduate degrees are doctoral and licentiate degrees.
Graduates from the Programme are eligible to apply for a position in the University of Turku Graduate School, UTUGS. The Graduate School consists of 16 doctoral programmes which cover all disciplines and doctoral candidates of the University.
Together with the doctoral programmes, the Graduate School provides systematic and high-quality doctoral training. UTUGS aims to train highly qualified experts with the skills required for both professional careers in research and other positions of expertise.
GENERAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
A Bachelor’s degree that formally qualifies the applicant to access Master’s level studies in the country where it has been completed. This degree should correspond to at least 180 ECTS (European credits) or to a minimum of three years of full-time study. You must also prove your English language skills when applying. Please visit the website of the programme for more information.
©City of Turku and University of Turku Communications
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 23, 2018