|Part-time PgDip (Conversion)||2 years||September||Southwark Campus|
|Full-time PgDip (Conversion)||1 year||September||Southwark Campus|
|Full-time MSc (Surveying graduates)||1 year||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time MSc (Surveying graduates)||2 years||September||Southwark Campus|
|Full-time PgDip (Surveying graduates)||1 year||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time PgDip (Surveying graduates)||2 years||September||Southwark Campus|
|Full-time MSc (Conversion)||1 year||September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time MSc (Conversion)||2 years||September||Southwark Campus|
- Building pathology
- Property and building law
- Building surveying project
- Use and performance of buildings
- Property and asset management
- Dissertation (MSc Only)
Additional modules (conversion course only)
- The institutional and legal context for property
- Valuations and surveying
Please be aware that option selection is subject to availability.
- Behavioral finance
- Building control
- Building Information Modelling and Collaborative Working
- Health and safety management in construction
- History of architecture and construction
- International real estate and construction
- Legal resolution of property and construction disputes
Employment prospects for graduates of the MSc/PgDip Building Surveying programme are excellent, with nearly 100% employment of graduates from the course since its inception. Graduates work in a range of organizations including both small and large private practices, local authorities, housing associations and government organizations as well as property and construction companies.
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Our surveyors look at financing a project, procuring construction work, financial management, and the entire construction process. We want our students to have 'real world' experiences while studying at LSBU, of fieldwork is a major component. We create these situations by inviting guest speaks in to give up-to-date lectures, having great industry links and taking our students into situations where they would like to work. Most of our surveying and construction courses give our students the opportunity to carry out a construction project. Their work will take into account current construction technologies, energy efficiency solutions and environmental and sustainability issues. The project is very detailed and is carried out across site visits, analyzing on-going construction projects and an appraisal of eco-technologies. These factors can be influenced by a construction's location so our field trips can take our students both overseas to expanding countries like Dubai or around the corner to building developments happening on our own campus.
Market report and case study analysis
Students on our MSc Surveying courses can choose to study International Real Estate & Construction as an optional. For this complex module, students need to go on a study visit to an international city which has an emerging real estate and construction market.
Past students have gone abroad to take in either Dubai in the United Arab Emirates or Shanghai in the People's Republic of China. The field trip includes visits to real estate companies and construction firms, site visits and meetings with various professionals. From these briefings, students need to produce a country report that includes a detailed strategy including how they could break through in the real estate or construction market in these overseas destinations.
- A minimum of a 2:1 Honours degree, the subject area does not matter as a number of students undertake the course as part of a career change
For Surveying graduates/professionals
- A minimum of a 2:1 Honours degree in a Surveying subject, or
- Corporate membership of a professional body concerned with property or construction, for example, CIOB, RIBA, RTPI, CIOH or another relevant body of equal standing.
- An applicant who is offered a place on the course may seek credit for recent prior academic qualification or professional experience. The applicant should expect to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Course Director and Module Coordinator substantial relevant knowledge and skills at least equivalent to Level 6 or Level 7 as appropriate to those modules for which credit is being sought. Applications should be made before the commencement of the semester in which the particular modules are being offered.
- Please note, however, that if you are granted any APEL/APL which allows you module exemption you will be ineligible for a Student Finance England Postgraduate Loan. If you have already started to receive loan installments and you are then granted module exemption, the University has a duty to inform SFE that you are no longer eligible for the loan and no further loan payments will be made.
Part-time additional requirements
The P/T mode requires the student to be in employment related to Building Surveying (a reference from the employer will be required)
Admissions based on experience
Applicants who do not meet this requirement will be considered for entry on the basis of the length and quality of their employment experience in areas cognate to surveying and construction. Evidence of this will be required in support of any application made.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 8, 2018