This one-year taught course is primarily aimed at design graduates who wish to enhance their skills and knowledge of cutting edge product design practice.
It aims to produce successful individuals who can:
- Understand the whole of the professional design development process and how the initial phases flow to inform the latter stages.
- Appreciate commercial realities and the designer’s role in business.
- Design desirable products for bespoke, batch or mass manufacture.
- Understand sustainability, inclusively, and other important ethical and social issues that must be considered by today’s designers.
- Have traditional design skills such as sketching, dealing with form, communication and innovation.
- Are able to use design tools such as 3D CAD, CAM and rapid prototyping in order to optimise the design and reduce time to market.
Learning & Teaching
Employability & Careers
Students will normally have achieved a first class or second class upper division first degree (1st or 2.1 degree classification) in an appropriate subject, and/or equivalent professional standing or experience in a Design discipline (based upon assessed Accredited Prior Learning or assessed Accredited Prior Experiential Learning), or a discipline associated with their programme of study.
Claims for Accredited Prior Learning (APL) are assessed in accordance with the CMU Academic Handbook, based upon either demonstrable evidence of assessed learning outcomes with equivalence, or equivalent experience where students "have learned in similarly ambitious ways". APL claims are normally expected to be approved at the time of enrolment.
Students whose first language is not English will need to provide evidence of fluency to at least an IELTS 6.0 (6.0 listening and 5.5 in each other element) standard or equivalent. For full details about how to apply and English Language qualifications please visit the International pages on the website.
About the School
Located in an exciting, modern European capital city, Cardiff Metropolitan University is a global university. We are continually investing in our students' future and provide education and training op ... Read More