Estonia’s e-government and the country’s other innovative e-solutions have grown into one of Europe’s success stories of the last decade. TalTech has taken a leap into the future of e-Governance education. Largely focusing on IT solutions at the governmental level, its interoperability between different faculties in the University is giving fundamental background also in other aspects (law, public management and economics) of government. The programme is especially important due to the fact that it is unique in Estonia and in Europe and the demand for the specialist with broad knowledge of e-governance is increasing tremendously.
The programme gives students broad knowledge on developing a modern state, its transition to e-governance and paperless management. Studies include a wide overview of administrative and legal aspects of e-governance.
What you can expect from this Master's programme:
- Experienced lectures
- Access to world-class know-how
- Hands-on collaboration with practitioners in the field
The 2 year (120 ECTS) curriculum comprises the following modules:
- General Studies (24 ECTS)
- Core Module (24 ECTS)
- e-Governance Technologies and Services (42 ECTS)
- Free Choice Courses (6 ECTS)
- Graduation Thesis (24 ECTS)
Why this speciality?
- The programme focuses on designing, developing and improving governmental systems and implementing e-government components on every state level
- Specialization in IT, innovation/services in public and private sectors or adoption and marketing of e-governance
- User-oriented services offered by the government that are based on ICT
- Offers experience in the field, practical research and project work already during studies
- The curriculum is closely related to “e-state technologies laboratory” offering students a possibility to do research in e-governance field as well as take part in new development projects
The curriculum will help to prepare managers and specialists responsible for the development of e-Governance, who are able to comprehend the business processes and the management of public administration; and are familiar with the information systems and software development.
Giving students a broad knowledge about the transition to e-governance, its management and development, helps graduates to work as a public sector high-level officials whilst leading eGov projects by having also a wider overview of administrative and legal aspects of e-governance.
Master’s degree holders have the opportunity to continue their studies in the PhD programme.
Programme specific requirements
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in IT, Law Social Sciences, Economics or a related field
For each programme you apply to, an individual motivation letter (statement of purpose) must be inserted.
- Please include the following:
- clearly defined perspectives and motivation for developing the information society and e-governance era;
- logical, analytical and comprehensive description of e-governance based on the country candidate chooses to take as an example;
- previous experiences in the field, practical work experience in the public sector or with the technical solutions used in the public sector;
- proposals for future master's thesis topic in the field of e-governance technologies and/or services;
- grammatically correct and fluent English.
PS! It is important to properly cite any sources (quotations, publications, ideas which are not your own etc.) used in your motivation letter, because to do otherwise would be plagiarism and result in disqualification.
Grading scale: 0-5
In order to be invited to interview, the candidate should get at least 3.5 points for the motivation letter.
- During the interview the following aspects will be evaluated:
- communication and presentation skills;
- level of e-governance awareness;
- Motivation to complete selected study programme as well as to contribute to the field by applying the acquired knowledge in future career;
- analytical thinking and argumentation skills;
- ability to work on concrete projects both in a team and individually.
The length of an interview vary between 10-12 minutes and will be conducted by the specialists in the programme you have applied for.
Grading scale: 0-5
Students for TalTech international study programmes are admitted based on the admission threshold. Online interview will be conducted only to candidates who have passed the preliminary evaluation. The maximum score for the motivation letter and online interview is 10 points. An applicant who receives the minimum of 7 points is admitted.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 16, 2018