This is an advanced postgraduate course specializing in structural engineering covering advanced structural analysis and design, structural computing simulation and also offering units linked with steel, concrete, timber and other structural designs. It will also provide you with the knowledge to design structures under dynamic and earthquake conditions.
The modules taught to focus on learning advanced methods and techniques while developing analytic skills across a range of structural engineering topics.
Two modules, Finite Elements and Stress Analysis and Advanced Computing Structural Simulation, focus on learning advanced computing methods and commercial computing software for structures modeling and simulation.
Advanced Structural Analysis and Design and the Masonry and Timber Engineering modules will cover advanced structural theory and designing traditional structures, such as steel, concrete, masonry, and timbers. Earthquake Engineering will cover design of structures in seismic areas and analysis of structures under dynamic loading.
Soil-Structure Engineering will cover the interaction of geotechnics and structures as well as foundation structures. Finally, you'll either conduct a structurally related research project or a design project.
This degree is accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation and the Institute of Highway Engineers on behalf of the Engineering Council as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for registration as a Chartered Engineer. Candidates must hold a CEng accredited BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree to comply with full CEng registration requirements.
Key course information - ordered by mode
|Full-time||16 months/13 months||February; September||Southwark Campus|
|Part-time||28 months||February; September||Southwark Campus|
Teaching techniques include lectures, workshops, tutorials, laboratories, field trips and IT-based blended learning. Visiting lecturers from industry contribute in some modules.
- Advanced structural design
- Soil-structure engineering
- Finite elements and stress analysis
- Masonry and timber engineering
- Structural dynamics and earthquake engineering
- Advanced computing and structural simulation
Employment prospects for graduates of Structural Engineering are strong. Successful students will enter into a variety of positions with employers which might include: structural engineer, consultant, project manager, government advisor and researcher.
LSBU Employability Service
We are the University of the Year for Graduate Employment - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
LSBU is committed to supporting you develop your employability and succeed in getting a job after you have graduated. Your qualification will certainly help, but in a competitive market, you also need to work on your employability, and on your career search.
As an LSBU student, you have access to the Employability Service and its resources during your time here and for two years after you graduate.
Our Employability Service will support you in developing your skills, finding a job, interview techniques, work experience or a placement/internship, and will help you assess what you need to do to get the career you want at the end of your course. LSBU offers a comprehensive Employability Service, with a range of initiatives to complement your studies, including:
- Direct engagement from employers who come into network with students.
- Job Shop – daily drop-in service to help with, tailoring CVs, cover letters and applications, sourcing online resource, mock interviews and general job search. One to one appointments for further support also available.
- Mentoring and work shadowing schemes.
- Higher education achievement report - The HEAR is designed to encourage a more sophisticated approach to recording student achievement, which acknowledges fully the range of opportunities that LSBU offers to our students.
- It pulls into one certificate: Module grades, Course descriptions, Placements, LSBU verified extra-curricular activities.
- Employability workshops - delivered free to students all year round on a variety of related topics.
- Careers fairs throughout the year to really focus your thoughts on a career after university.
- 2:2 UK BEng Honours Degree in a relevant discipline or international equivalent; or
- 2:1 UK BSc Honours Degree in a relevant discipline or international equivalent; or
- Substantial work experience will be considered on an individual basis.
All modules are subject to change by the university and may differ from the modules you are offered during your studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 8, 2018