With the sports industry witnessing significant growth and outperforming many major sectors the time could not be better to study and work in the business side of the sport. With our MSc Sport Business Management course rated 1st in the UK and 4th in Europe (Sports Business Postgraduate Course Rankings 2018), there is no better place to study with a team that is committed to helping you secure employment in a global industry that is worth between $600 - $700billion per year
- Prepare for an exciting career in the sports industry on a course with excellent industry links.
- Gain the knowledge, skills and attributes required for a professional career in sports at the UK's City of Sport
- Work with world-class sports organisations on industry-based projects.
- Undertake an optional 12 weeks of industry placement.
- Gain a detailed understanding of the core aspects of sports business and finance.
- Benefit from the experience of tutors with substantial industry, research and consultancy experience.
This course builds upon your existing experience or qualifications equipping you for an exciting career in sport. You will learn about this fast-growing industry in a city known for its sporting heritage, international facilities and a track record in hosting major events. This provides a fantastic learning environment for you to develop your career.
You will develop employability skills alongside detailed knowledge of the global sports industry. You will learn to identify and develop creative solutions for major clients, gain practical experience through optional industry placements and gain a sound theoretical grounding with guidance from experienced specialists in world-class facilities. You will also have access to an employability adviser who will assist you with one-to-one sessions on application writing, preparation for the interview, CV development and individually tailored career guidance.
For the latest developments, follow the course team on Twitter @HallamSBM
- Financial Skills For Business Decisions
- Global Economics Of Sport
- International Sports Event Management
- International Sports Marketing And The Media
- International Sports Strategy
- Managing People In Sport Organisations
- Researching Sport Management
- Sports Business Consultancy
- Work-Based Learning Project
Normally a first degree 2:2 or above in a sport-related or business and management related subject or a first degree 2:2 or above in an unrelated subject, but with experience of working in sport or general business and management.
If English is not your first language, you typically need an IELTS 6.0 score with a minimum of 5.5 in all other skills or equivalent.
You can find out more about the country-specific qualifications we accept on our international qualifications page.
You have the option to complete a 12-week work placement, and we use our network of local, regional, national and international employers to help secure you a challenging and fulfilling placement.
Recent clients have included Manchester City FC, the International Cricket Council, the Singapore Sports Council, Badminton England, UFC (Ultimate Fight Championship), Sheffield United FC and Sheffield Wednesday FC.
As part of your study, you will be able to undertake industry-based research projects, linked to assessments, where you can work with sports organisations to develop solutions to problems or explore potential market opportunities.
This course prepares you for a career in
- regional, national and international sporting bodies
- local authority and voluntary sector sport
- sporting clubs sport leagues
- major venues and facilities
- event management organisations
- sports consultancies
- player-agent organisations
- sport related government agencies
- sponsorship procurement
Duration and fees
- Start dates: September, January
- Duration: One year
- EU students 2019/20 academic year £7,200 for the course
- International students 2019/20 academic year £13,500 for the course
- Deadline: Request info
Program taught in: