Sport is part of Manchester’s DNA. It’s a big feature of the city’s history, character and economy. And it’s a big part of Manchester Met too.
As one of few management programmes in the UK focusing solely on sports, we cover topics including sport policy, sports marketing and data analytics.
Unlike other courses in the country, you’ll also explore areas such as politics, finance and law to understand how they apply to the sports industry.
The latest developments in sport
Everything you learn on this course has been informed by the University’s Sports Advisory Board of key industry experts.
All of our teachings is research-led. The majority of our staff are internationally renowned for their research in sports policy, law, politics, marketing and more.
Our teaching team work closely with key industry organisations across the globe, including UK Sport, the IOC, FIFA, and the RFY. We also have links with the local organising committees of the London 2012 and Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, and the Qatar 2022 World Cup.
After you graduate, you’ll be prepared for a career in sport business and management, policy and governance in the public and private sector.
Features and Benefits
- Global sporting city – Manchester is a world-renowned sporting city. Home to two internationally recognised football clubs and other major sporting venues, the city is a destination for all things sport.
- Explore sport policy – unlike similar courses in the UK, we’ll help you to get to grips with sport policy. We cover wellbeing, and individual, social, community and economic development.
- Excellence in teaching – learn from a team with a wealth of industry and research experience in a variety of sporting areas such as policy, marketing and mega-events.
- Connections – we have strong links to high profile sports clubs and bodies, such as Manchester City and Manchester United, the English Institute of Sport and the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
- Cover a range of vital areas – study core modules including sports events management, business analytics, international strategic management and more to expand your career opportunities in sport.
We’ve designed this course with the University’s Sports Advisory Board, made up of key sports industry experts, to ensure students graduate with the practical skills and knowledge highly sought-after by leading sports employers.
We want to help you understand the complex nature of business and policy to help you achieve employment in your ideal area. Alongside the core subjects that you study, you’ll also gain vital research skills that will impress employers.
By the time you graduate, you’ll be ready for roles in a variety of sport business and management, policy and governance specialisms - in the public and private sectors, both in the UK and beyond.
We are looking to produce the next generation of sports management professionals, therefore our courses are tailored towards providing students with the knowledge and skills highly sought after by industry employers. All of our teachings is research-led, and the majority of our staff are internationally renowned for their leading research in the areas of sport policy, sports law, sports politics, sports marketing and sports business and management.
Additionally, our staff work closely with key industry organisations across the globe, including the likes of UK Sport, the IOC, FIFA, and the RFY, as well as the local organising committees of the London 2012 and Tokyo 202 Olympic Games, and the Qatar 2022 World Cup. Furthermore, the University maintains strong links to high profile sports clubs and bodies, such as Manchester United FC and Manchester City FC, the National Football Museum, and the English Institute of Sport.
- Sport Policy and Politics
- Policy and Management of Sports Events
- Business Analytics
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Business and Management
- International Strategic Management
- Masters level learning
Choose one from a list including:
- Sport Law
- International Business and Emerging Markets
The university maintains strong links with industry, and national placement opportunities are offered all year round to those enrolled on the course.
UK and EU students
UK and EU students: Full-time fee: £9,250 per year. Tuition fees will remain the same for each year of your course providing you complete it in the normal timeframe (no repeat years or breaks in the study).
Non-EU and Channel Island students
Fees for this course have yet to be confirmed and will be updated shortly.
Program taught in: