The MSc in Sociology prepares students for PhD studies in Sociology as well as for advanced professional work in sociological inquiries and community planning. The programme allows students considerable freedom to select courses according to interest and future needs. The programme enables students to develop critical thinking, analytical skills and ability to conduct societal analysis, as well as to acquire specialised knowledge of sociology. On completion of the programme, students are awarded a degree of Master of Science (120 credits) specialising in Sociology.
In the programme, the students will acquire:
• Knowledge and understanding ofsociology, including both broad knowledge of the field and a considerable degree of specialised knowledge ofcertain areas of the field as well as specialised insight into current research and development work
• specialised knowledge of research methods in sociology
• the ability to critically and systematically integrate knowledge, and analyse, assess and deal with complex phenomena, issues and situations, even with limited information
• the ability to identify and formulate research questions critically, autonomously and creatively as well as to plan and, using appropriate methods, undertake advanced tasks within predetermined time frames and so contribute to the formation of knowledge as well as the ability to evaluate this work
• the skills required for participation in research and development work or autonomous employment in some other qualified capacit
Courses and number of credits: Classical and Contemporary Theory (15), Methods and Social Analysis (15), Modern Classics (15), Selected courses in theory of science and research methods (in total 15 credits), for example: Participatory Methods of Change and Development (7.5) and/or Methods of Text and Discourse Analysis (7.5) and/or Evaluation Research –Theories and Methods (7.5) and/or Quantitative Methods: Multivariate Analysis (7.5), elective courses/study abroad/internship (30), Master’s thesis (30).
There is a possibility for students to apply for double degree with Peking University, Fudan University or National Taras Shevchenko University of Kyiv.
The programme provides you with both the background knowledge and the practical skills needed to work in a broad range of fields including governmental, non-governmental and the private sector. You will be prepared for a future career as a policy maker, a leader or a practitioner working in government agencies, private companies or NGOs, or, alternatively, for doctoral studies and a continued academic career.
Read more about this programme on http://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/sociology
Why Lund University?
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is one of northern Europe’s oldest, broadest and finest universities. The University ranks among the world's top 100 universities in the QS World University Rankings 2019 and is the #1 choice for international students coming to Sweden – one of the world's most innovative, sustainable and democratic countries.
If you would like to start building your international network in a global classroom setting, Lund University is a great option. Experience a different way of learning in a country ranked as one of the best in the world at providing higher education. Group work and informal teacher-student relationships facilitate in-depth learning.
The University is located in Lund, a charming and compact university city in southern Sweden, only 35 minutes away from Copenhagen Airport in Denmark. The city is famous for its vibrant student life and is also home to many world-leading research facilities and international companies.
Learn more about Lund University at www.lunduniversity.lu.se
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 25, 2018