MSc Risk Management & Financial Engineering is a highly quantitative one-year programme, designed to prepare recent graduates for careers in financial engineering and risk management. The programme, which is accredited by the Professional Risk Manager’s International Association (PRMIA), is designed for technically-minded graduates who want a deep, analytical study of risk management and financial engineering.
You will learn how to put the latest academic thinking and business strategies into practice from leading practitioners and world-class faculty, giving you a thorough and hands-on understanding of risk management.
Our dedicated Careers and Professional Development Service will work with you to identify and achieve your career goals. The reputation of Imperial College as a top 10 global university combined with our strong corporate connections with global financial institutions, will ensure you present yourself with confidence to the world’s top employers.
During the programme, you will use and have access to Bloomberg terminals, Reuters Eikon, Datastream, Matlab and two bespoke computer labs.
You will study foundation modules in September that introduce the tools of modern finance and enhance your career development skills.
Example Foundation modules:
- Application of Matlab to Science.
- Data Structures and Algorithms Using Python.
- Financial Modelling.
- Markets and Securities.
- The Finance Industry.
Core modules build rapidly on previous experience while introducing new and challenging disciplines.
Example core modules:
- Empirical Finance: Methods and Applications
- Financial Statistics
- Financial Engineering
- Investment and Portfolio Management
- Risk Management and Valuation
- Stochastic Calculus
Tailor your learning to meet your career ambitions and match your interests through a choice of electives. Example electives:
- Advanced Financial Statistics
- Advanced Options Theory
- Applied Trading Strategies
- Asset Allocation and Investment Strategies
- Banks, Regulation and Monetary Policy
- Big Data in Finance
- Credit Risk
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Fixed Income Securities
- International Finance
- Introduction to Algorithmic Trading (international elective)
- Macro and Finance for Practitioners (international elective)
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Structured Credit and Equity Products
- Topics in Corporate Finance
- Topics in Fintech Innovation
- Wealth Management and Alternative Investments
In the spring and summer terms, you will choose between undertaking two types of projects, in order to develop specialist skills and subject knowledge to benefit your future career. You can either pursue an Applied Project together with an additional elective, or a traditional Research Project.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 8, 2018