This course builds knowledge and skills in the planning and management of development projects and programmes. It is designed to deepen a critical understanding of the strategies, processes, techniques, and issues involved in taking ideas for development and turning them into practical realities with identifiable outcomes and benefits.
The degree provides an excellent basis for career enhancement or conversion for those with interest and experience in projects for development. The focus of the course is on development projects in the public or third (voluntary or community) sectors, but the underlying principles are applicable to all types of project, including those for commercial benefit.
On completion of your course, you will be able to understand and examine critically:
- The discipline of project and programme management, within an overall appreciation of the nature and purpose of projects
- The principles and practice of project planning, design, preparation, and appraisal techniques for projects in a development context
- The theory and practice of management skills for project and programme management, focusing particularly on 'hard' and 'soft' skills for successful project implementation
A typical application would include a good Honours degree or equivalent. However, the University welcomes applications from all potential students regardless of their previous academic experience; offers are made following detailed consideration of each individual application.
English language requirements: IELTS at 6.0 or the equivalent.
If you do not meet the IELTS requirement, you can take a University of Bradford pre-sessional English course.
What you will study
- Project Planning and Design (DEV7033-B)
- Project Appraisal (DEV7032-B)
- Project Implementation and Management (DEV7031-B)
- Issues in Development Theory (DEV7003-B)
- Economic Growth and Development (DEV7007-B)
- Assessing Development Needs and Outcomes (DEV7036-B)
- Natural Resource Governance (PES7045-B)
- Sustainable Cities (PES7052-B)
- Finance for Development (DEV7001-B)
- Gender, Conflict, and Development (PES7041-B)
- International Environmental Governance (PES7042-B)
- Africa Study Visit (PES7034-B)
- Middle East Politics and Security Dynamics (PES7043-B)
Learning and assessment
The course will introduce you to emerging techniques and approaches to project management such as PRINCE2 (TM). We also provide familiarisation with Microsoft Project software for project management.
This MSc provides you with knowledge and skills for successful project design, implementation, and management. It provides you with the knowledge base on which to develop your professional skills and recognition in the field of project management.
All BCID students are able to choose an optional placement module and will be supported by Division staff to find an appropriate placement.
Many BCID postgraduates have experience in development and related areas of the public, private and voluntary sectors. This degree course provides the skills and knowledge required to become a development professional.
See 32 more programs offered by University of Bradford »
Last updated October 18, 2019
This course is
international students: £16,040 per year