Are you interested in population issues like ageing, integration of migrants and poverty? The MSc Population Studies trains you in theories, methods and skills needed to comprehend population dynamics.
Essential to understanding population dynamics is the study of the demographic behaviour of people, in terms of their life events, e.g. birth, marriage, divorce, health, migration, and death. The master programme focuses on these demographic events, on how decision-making regarding these life events is influenced by the historical, economic, societal, cultural, and medical context, and on how these demographic events have an impact on population-level trends.
You will learn about:
- Pressing population issues as population ageing, integration of migrants, health inequalities and poverty;
- Individual decision-making processes behind demographic events, such as family formation, residential choices and migration, and health care use;
- Collecting and interpreting demographic data;
- Methods and techniques to analyze demographic data: life table, population projections, advanced survey analysis, qualitative research methods;
- Population policies and intervention programmes.
The field of Population Studies reflects on and deals with currently relevant demographic topics and related societal issues. The study is simultaneously concrete and broad.
Our programme is unique in its combination of analytical and social demography, its combination of quantitative and qualitative research methods, its structured progress through the research process, and its international, multidisciplinary and strong scientific orientation - as officially being recognized. Interactive ways of teaching are being employed by very enthusiastic and dedicated teachers. Within the Netherlands, Groningen is the only university offering an MSC in Population Studies.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 23, 2017