This MSc aims to provide advanced education in Political Science and the topics of public policy analysis. Students will understand the complex political, economic and social dynamics of the modern world, how national and international institutions deal with them and how to act in such contexts. They will acquire advanced training in the methods of analysis and study of both public policies and the institutions which lead the decision-making process.
Specifically, the program:
- Gives students a complete preparation in the two major areas of Political Science (Comparative Politics and International Relations), integrated with knowledge of the role of laws and of the evolution of population dynamics in political contexts.
- Gives a complete preparation with advanced quantitative skills in both theoretical and empirical methods, which will be applied to evaluating public policies, the public sector, the policy decision-making process, and political dynamics.
- Develops competencies promoting soft skills such as teamwork, the ability to present and discuss effectively, the capacity to think critically and to understand major political and policy-making issues.
- Develops skills through interdisciplinary teaching activities organized into workshops, which foster the understanding of political and social problems from different perspectives. Teaching methods support interaction between faculty and students and among students.
The MSc in Politics and Policy Analysis offers three different paths, which will expose you to different international learning environments (Politics and Policy Analysis, LSE-Bocconi Double Degree, Sciences Po-Bocconi Double Degree).
You can choose the program that best fits your individual needs and preferences.
Applicants to LSE-Bocconi Double Degree and Sciences Po-Bocconi Double Degree are required to complete a specific application.
at Bocconi (Milan)
- Quantitative Methods for Policy Analysis
- Comparative Politics
- Functioning of Public Sector
- Public Economics
Students learn the key concepts of political theories and phenomena in a comparative perspective as well as quantitative methods for theoretical (game theory) and empirical (statistics and econometrics) analysis regarding politics and public policy, and the organization of public administration and its interaction with political systems
- Legal Aspects of Policy Making
- International Relations
- Population Dynamics and Demography
Students acquire advanced knowledge of international relations, they become familiar with the legal and institutional aspects of negotiation and implementation of international agreements, and they understand the crucial role of population dynamics and demographic changes (such as aging, migration, fertility and the evolution of gender roles) on political behavior and on the policymaking process.
at Bocconi (Milan) and/or abroad
- 4 electives to be chosen from a wide range of courses offered by Bocconi. Students can choose courses offered in the traditional areas of expertise of economics and management, as well as courses which will be activated in the major areas of Political Science, such as, for example: Political Violence, War and Conflicts, Migration and Refugees, Human Rights, Political and Economic Development, Gender and Politics, Geo-Politics and History of Africa and Middle East (courses to be confirmed).
Study Abroad Programs
- Exchange Programs
Foreign languages (two languages)
The MSc in Politics and Policy Analysis (PPA)– taught in English – aims to provide advanced education in the political science disciplines and on the topics of public policy analysis, in order to allow the understanding of the complex political, economic and social dynamics of the modern world, how national and international institutions are dealing with them, and how to take actions in such contexts.Specifically, PPA qualifying goals are:
- To provide advanced preparation in the two major areas of Political Science (Comparative Politics and International Relations) integrated by adequate knowledge of the role of laws and of the evolution of population dynamics in political contexts in order to allow a critical understanding of major political and policy-making issues;
- To complete preparation with advanced quantitative skills in both theoretical and empirical methods, which will be applied to evaluate public policies, the public sector, the policy decision-making process, and political dynamics;
- To develop behavioral skills via ad hoc seminars and via in/out of class activities related to courses, namely skills in communication, in interaction, in addressing complex issues;
- To promote fluency in English to work effectively and efficiently; proficiency in a second EU language (Italian for non- native Italian speakers). Finally, to foster a wide-ranging culture to develop critical thinking and to delve into cutting-edge topics.
There is an enormous and growing need worldwide of graduates with extensive knowledge and a complete international perspective in the context of policy-making. Our graduates have access to both the national and international markets. They are expected to develop decision-making careers in international organizations, diplomatic services, and the private sector.
As Politics experts, our graduates will analyze and evaluate political issues related to the global socio-economic and political scenario, and they will contribute to the design and implementation of innovative political strategies. As Policy Analysis experts, our graduates will define, evaluate and implement policies of public intervention in the economy in different socio-economic-political contexts. Graduates will work in political organizations, international organizations, think tanks and lobbies, NGOs and non-profit organizations, public administration, embassies, large companies, and consultancy firms.
The MSc in Politics and Policy Analysis will be offered, starting from 2018-2019, therefore placement information is not yet available.