- This programme is designed for students with a background in Political Science, or related disciplines
- Gain the skills and knowledge to understand political interaction, and the theoretical background today's political systems
- Explore problems facing developing political systems, and analyze current topics dealing with power, cooperation, political economy, and more
- Prepare yourself for a career as a policy maker, advocate, analyst, diplomat, researcher, journalist or more
Why study Political Science at Radboud University?
Radboud's Master's programme in Political Science has been recognized for its quality in past years. In 2018, the programme was voted Best Master's programme according to Elsevier magazine's Beste Studies 2018; similarly, it was awarded the label 'Top Programme' by Keuzegids Masters, and was rated best in the field. Our students also give us high marks (8,6/10) according to the National Student Survey in 2018. The programme is also NVAO accredited.
Besides benefitting from the programme's reputation, you will also have access to Radboud's extensive network, giving you plenty of internship and career opportunitites during, and after your studies.
What will you learn?
Power shapes politics, but what shapes power in the 21st century? The Radboud Master’s programme in Political Science offers a unique opportunity for highly motivated students to prepare for a rewarding career in leading positions in the public and private sector.
We are interested in uncovering the social, economic, and political causes of recent political developments, while also questioning whether they are destabilising or whether they will be accommodated into existing institutional structures.
Graduates from this programme could find career opportunities in a variety of roles:
- Policy makers
- Positions in NGOs, or governmental organizations
- Financial institutions
The Master's programme in Political Science offers a choice of six specialisations:
Focus on political challenges faced by contemporary (non-)democracies in a globalising world, such as growing inequalities, new demands on representative institutions, and pressures created by both migration and demographic change.
Conflict, Power and Politics
Critically explore themes such as warfare, political systems, the articulation of political demands, ethnic violence and which ethical dilemmas arise in such situations.
- Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in PoliticsThis specialisation introduces you not only to issues and ongoing debates in the field of gender and diversity studies in organisations and politics but also offers the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the state of the art in the field and to acquire knowledge of different policy practices related to it and their gendered implications.
- International Political EconomyUncover the economic and political dimensions of global issues and power struggles behind policy choices. Learn to understand and explain the world from the perspectives of different stakeholders.
Learn how to investigate global cooperation and conflict from different perspectives and to analyse the essential players that shape global politics: governments, international organisations, media, businesses and NGOs.
- Political TheoryStudy various aspects of the relationship between political power and morality. The central question here is whether political principles, institutions, and practices can ever be legitimate. What may we force each other to do? What should we do?
1. Complete Bachelor's degree
A completed Bachelor's degree in Political Science or a related discipline from a recognised, academic university.
A substantial part of the courses in your Bachelor’s degree should be in your preferred specialisation: International Relations, Political Theory, Comparative Politics or Public Administration.
2. Competency in Social Science Research Methodology
Due to the strong academic nature of this programme, it is essential that students have the necessary basic research skills (both quantitative and qualitative). Applicants with little or no Social Science Research Methodology in their previous education may get admission, provided they first complete an (oral) examination in research methodology. The oral exam can be held in person in Nijmegen or via Skype.
In order to take part in this programme, you need to have fluency in both written and spoken English.This requirement has been satisfied when the student meets one of the following conditions:
- Has successfully completed a three-year Bachelor's programme at a Dutch university.
- Is a citizen of Australia, Canada (with exception of Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, or the United States of America.
- Has successfully completed a Bachelor's programme that was taught completely in the English language in one of the following countries: EU/EEA-countries, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United States of America.
- Has successfully completed a Master's programme from a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO).
All other students need one of the following certificates (All certificates may not be older than two years):
- A TOEFL score of ≥90, with subscores not lower than 18
- A IELTS score of ≥6.5, with subscores not lower than 6.0
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) with a mark of C or higher
Programmes starting in September
- Non-EEA students: 1 April
- EEA students: 1 May
This programme was recently rated ‘Best Programme’ in the Netherlands in the Keuzegids Masters 2016 (Guide to Master's programmes).This programme was also rated ‘Best Master's Programme’ by Elsevier magazine’s annual survey of the best degree programmes. For the third time in a row, this programme was rated number one and was awarded the quality label ‘Top Programme' in the Netherlands in the Keuzegids Masters 2015 (Guide to Master's programmes).
About the School
At Radboud University in the Netherlands, you can obtain a high-quality and internationally accredited Master’s degree. Leading academics and excellent professors offer you what you need a a top-200 r ... Read More