The offshore industry is a relatively recent Industry that has rapidly expanded during the last 60 years. Challenges in the industry arise such as has never been encountered before, particularly in offshore engineering. These challenges can only be synthesized and solved by upgrading and enhancing the knowledge related to offshore engineering.
The oil and gas industry plays a significant role in Malaysia’s economy. The nation largely derives these resources from offshore reserves. It is predicted that there will be a shortage of talent in Malaysia in the oil and gas industry. This complexity is due to the large segments of workforce approaching retirement and the lack of skilled graduates from Malaysian universities. Malaysian universities have limited exposure in offshore engineering, as the focus is on general engineering in major disciplines (e.g. Civil, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering). Exposure is only gained through on the job training, requiring companies to invest a significant amount of time and money. In order to fill in the skill gap and lack of talent, it is necessary to develop graduates who are trained and versed in various offshore engineering areas.
The pedagogical goal of the MSc Offshore Engineering program is to educate students to be able to take a leadership role in superior technical knowledge and application required in the offshore industry.
Qualification for Each Program
i) Academic Requirement
a) Fresh Graduate - Candidates must hold a BSc Degree with minimum CGPA 3.00/4.00 OR 2nd Class Upper Division OR equivalent in the relevant field from a recognized university
b) With relevant experience - Candidates must hold a BSc Degree OR equivalent in the relevant field from a recognized university
ii) English Requirement
Candidates are required to show proficiency in written and spoken English in one of the following forms:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 550 OR
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.0 OR
- A minimum ELTS score of Band-6 OR
- A minimum MUET score of Band-4 OR
- A minimum Cambridge English: First (FCE) score of 67
- A minimum Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) score of 52
All applicants must fulfill the English Language requirement in order to be admitted to the approved program.
iii) Additional Supporting Document for International Students
GRE Test Score (Computer-based OR Paper-based Test)
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
- Engineering graduates keen to pursue careers within the offshore sector;
- Graduates currently working in the offshore and ocean-related industries keen to extend their qualifications
- Individuals with other qualifications who possess considerable relevant experience.
- Wave Hydrodynamic
- Structural Dynamic
- Offshore Engineering Materials
- Meteorology & Oceanography
- Design of Offshore Structure
- Risk. Reliability & Integrity of Offshore Structure
- Offshore Foundation
- Offshore Project Management
- Research Methodology
B.ELECTIVE MODULES (two electives to be selected)
- Geotechnics & Geohazards
- Advanced Theory of Elasticity
- Finite Element Method for Offshore Structures
- HSE Management in Offshore Engineering
- Offshore Pipelines
- Design of Floating Offshore Structures
- Coastal Engineering & Sediment Transport
- Offshore Positioning
- Subsea Engineering for Oil & Gas Fields
- Research Project I
- Research Project II
LABS AND FACILITIES
- Offshore Engineering Laboratory:
The tank is used mainly for calm water, wave resistance, hydrodynamics and seakeeping experiments. With a length of 22 m and a breadth of 10 m across, the wave basin boasts state of the art equipment. With a maximum operating water depth of 1 m, the wave makers can be used to generate various waves, i.e. regular, irregular, long and short crested and bi-chromatic waves. The offshore lab is also equipped with a system of pumps to generate current.
- Wave Flume:
The Wave Flume is one of its kind in Malaysia and was designed for in-depth coastal studies. Measuring 1.5 m across with a length of 20 m, it is very well suited to study the effects of breaking waves on coastal and offshore structures. With an operating water depth of 1 m, the maximum wave height is rated at 0.3 m with wave periods ranging from 0.4 to 5 seconds.
- Commercial Software for Numerical Modelling:
Civil and Environmental Engineering Department subscribed powerful numerical modeling packages which enable students and researchers to conduct their studies and research. The following types software are available in the department:
Graduates with an MSc in Offshore Engineering degree will enhance their employment and career prospects in the local as well as the global oil and gas industry. The degree is also a good starting point for a career in R&D and academia.
Dr Montasir Osman Ahmed Ali (email@example.com)