SNEAM/ANWM - Advanced Nuclear Waste Management specializes in nuclear waste management. It develops fundamental scientific, technical and industrial knowledge, has a particular focus on the backend of the nuclear fuel cycle, nuclear waste management, long-term safety, and environmental impact assessment and provides strong insights on dismantlement and decommissioning of nuclear installations.
The master forms engineers exposed to a highly complex scientific environment where technical expertise is omnipresent in the field of nuclear waste management. The program provides:
- The scientific knowledge, necessary for nuclear waste management and the capability to understand how to assess long-term safety and environment impacts.
- The competencies to master the operational techniques and strategies for the management of nuclear waste.
- The appropriate solutions according to the type of waste through project work in the industry.
- The possibility to build contacts with a large number of international key players in the field.
- The competencies to master dismantlement and decommissioning of nuclear installations.
- Societal considerations in the management of nuclear waste with regard to the public acceptance.
The Master of Science starts in September and is divided into 4 semesters:
- MSc year 1: 2 academic semesters in Nantes campus
- MSc year 2: 1 academic semester for specialization in Nantes campus + 6 months Master Thesis in industry or research laboratory.
Scientific and technical modules:
- Physics of Ionizing Radiation
- Introduction to Nuclear modeling
- Introduction to Neutron physics
- Safety and Radioprotection
- Physico-Chemistry of Environment
- Introduction to Nuclear Technology
- Wastes conditioning and storage
- Dismantlement and Decommissioning of Nuclear Installations
- Geological disposal
- Nuclear: Management, Safety, and Society
- Energy mix and energetic transition
- Environmental Management and Strategy of sustainability
Company visits, scientific seminars, technical projects, generic methods for engineers, French language & culture
Professional coaching (a Student-centered process of reflection on competencies and professional objectives)
- 6-month MSc thesis in Industry or research lab
- Project engineer related to nuclear energy, decommissioning, nuclear waste processing, conditioning, safe storage.
- Manager of nuclear waste in industrial, hospitals or research institutions.
- Research scientist and development engineer.
- Safety engineer for radioactive waste management solutions.
- Regulators for governmental control of waste management practices.
- Engineer of international agencies involved in nuclear waste issues
A committee consisting of professors is charged with selecting the applicants, based on the following criteria:
- Motivation letter
- Applicant's previous scientific background and grades
- English level
- Working or training experience
- Description of the professional plans after the SNEAM program
- Reference letters
Please upload the required documents for SNEAM application on the dedicated online platform: https://sneam.imt-atlantique.fr
Participation cost: 12000 €/year
Special rates for:
- European students from the Erasmus zone (6000 €/year)
- EU Graduate students from our partner universities(3000 €/year)
- EU students met at Education fairs (5400 €/year)
- Excellent EU applications or recommended EU applications(2600 €/year)
- Non-EU students graduated from our partner universities (6500 €/year)
- Non-EU students met at Education fairs (9600 €/year)
- Non-EU Excellent applications or recommended applications (6000 to 9000 €/year)
- Double-Degree students
- Possible Industrial sponsorship.