MSc Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
Do you want to unravel the fundamental processes in living cells? Do you want to understand ‘life’ at a molecular level? Do you want to explore applications based on basic molecular research? Biomolecular Sciences is an internationally oriented research and business area that strongly focuses on these topics, with emphasis on structural biology, biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology, microbiology, systems biology (incl. bioinformatics), and biotechnology (incl. synthetic biology).
The fundamental knowledge on 'life' at a molecular level drives several applied-oriented research projects in collaboration with major industrial partners and government support to provide biobased solutions for current societal challenges in the areas of Environment, Energy, Chemistry, Materials, Water, Agro/Food, and Health.
During the Master's degree programme in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, you acquire in-depth knowledge and skills via upper level theoretical and practical training in such a way that you become highly competent in the field of Biomolecular Sciences and obtain excellent perspectives for an independent career in an academic or industrial research environment. The Master's degree programme in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology is mainly organized by the Groningen Biomolecular Sciences and Biotechnology Institute (GBB) research institute. Research is primarily fundamental and curiosity-driven within two major themes, Molecular Mechanisms of Bioprocesses and Physiology and Systems Biology. The research is both often multidisciplinary and collaborative with specialization in the following GBB key areas:
- Molecular Systems Biology
- Molecular Cell Biology of Complex Processes
- Membrane Proteins
- Structure-function Relationships of Proteins
- Microbial Biotechnology and Biocatalysis
- Chemical and Synthetic Biology
A Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields:
- Biology, including the specialization Molecular Biology or Biotechnology or the specialization Medical Biology (including courses on General Chemistry and Bioinformatics).
- Biology or Life Science & Technology, majoring Molecular Life Sciences or Biomedical Sciences.
- Chemistry, including the specialization Biochemistry or Biophysical Chemistry.
- Life Science and Technology, specialization Genomics and Proteomics or Molecular Medical Cell Biology.
The Admission Board may decide you need to take supplementary courses
Proof of English proficiency is required (TOEFL 580/237/92, IELTS 6.5, Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English), with the exception of students whose native language is English.
This school offers programs in: