The Molecular Biology, Genetics, and Bioengineering program (BIO) aims to develop an integrated scientific perspective on the fundamentals of molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics and cell biology. These topics all rely on a solid background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. The program also has a biotechnology dimension with courses on the exploitation of biological systems for developing new technologies and industrial applications. We educate future bioengineers who benefit from interdisciplinary undergraduate courses to build an understanding of engineering concepts and techniques. Students learn to apply engineering principles to the re-conceptualization of biological phenomena and are trained to acquire skills for developing new materials and processes, including genetic modification of agriculturally important plants and human cells.
Most of the graduates of the BIO program continue on with graduate education in Turkey and abroad. All of our graduates are equipped with in-depth knowledge of modern molecular biology. Our graduates attain research and management positions in industrial and research institutions operating in various areas of the biological sciences and biotechnology.
MSc in Molecular Biology, Genetics, and Bioengineering
Diploma Area Advisor:
The Biological Sciences and Bioengineering graduate program is designed to offer a careful balance of fundamental courses such as biochemistry, cell biology, and molecular biology with extensive project and application-oriented courses. As an integral part of the engineering faculty, the program provides the student with a unique opportunity for direct interaction and integration with other fields such as computer engineering, material science, and mechatronics. The main areas of research are plant biotechnology, molecular biology, and bioinformatics.
Furthermore, the research program gives special attention to the development of new bioinformatics tools for exploring the diversity of protein families and gene discovery, and investigation through experimental methods and modeling of structural features, which confer functional characteristics to biological molecules. In addition to plant biotechnology, research activities penetrate into basic sciences with applications to biological industries.
Master's and Ph.D. programs are built on a core foundation in a design that facilitates mobility between the two programs.
Applications for graduate programs are evaluated by the respective Admission Jury along with individual program entries. Admission is finalized by the approval of the related Graduate School Board upon the recommendation of the Jury and announced to the applicants.
Applicants may be called for written exams and interviews. All written exams and interviews are held in English.
Periods for application are announced in Academic Calendar
Your registration will be done upon the approval of Turkish Higher Education Council regarding the equivalence of the last graduated higher institution and the course of study.
- Online Application Form: Candidates can apply for more than one program via an online application form. Separate forms are to be filled for each applied program. Print-out of Completed Application Form should be added to the Application Package. Applicants can either submit the application package including the required documents in person or can send via post to Student Resources. A separate application package is to be submitted for each applied program. All the application documents become the property of Sabancı University. It is suggested to keep the original reports of TOEFL, GRE and ALES scores for you, and apply with the copies of those exams.
- Official Transcript: Sealed and taken from Student Resources/Affairs of the applicant's university indicating the courses and grades taken.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: These should be either submitted online or posted in a sealed envelope. After you complete your online application, an email will be sent automatically to your recommenders which you enter to Recommenders part. Recommenders can click the link to write the recommendation letters or give letters in a closed envelope signed and stamped.
- One Photograph: If you have already added one photograph to your online application, you do not need to send it.
- Result for Graduate Program Entrance Exam: Any of the following science test results baring the min. scores and which are within the validity period: ALES: Numerical ALES min. score 65; GRE : 153 (Scores on the Current Scale); GAT: Accumulative Percentile : %60 (for international student). Photocopies are acceptable for application, but original copies should be submitted during admission. Graduate Program Entrance Exam Results must have been taken no more than ALES 3 years, GRE 5 years and GAT 2 years.
- English Proficiency Exam Result: As the language of instruction at Sabancı University is English, any of the following English Proficiency Exam results baring the min. scores and which are within the validity period: TOEFL: Min. score 80 in an Internet-based test; KPDS: Min. score 67; ÜDS: Min. score 67; YDS: Min. score 67; e-YDS: Min. score 67. Photocopies are acceptable for application, but original copies should be submitted during admission. The TOEFL must have been taken no more than two years, KPDS, ÜDS, e-YDS, and YDS must have been taken no more than three years prior to the application to Sabancı University
- Statement of Purpose
- Degree Requirements: An undergraduate degree is required to apply for all graduate (master's and Ph.D.) degree programs. It is possible to apply for Ph.D. programs with only undergraduate or undergraduate + master's degrees. Holders of all major degrees are eligible to apply. An applicant should have an undergraduate or graduate diploma to be admitted to a graduate program and a graduate diploma for a doctorate program. Applicants must complete their previous degree programs by the admission period at the latest.
About the School
With science, technology, and social structures advancing day by day, the world needs more qualified individuals who possess the knowledge and skills required to pursue a career anywhere in the world. ... Read More