MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Location: Abu Dhabi
Mechanical Engineering is a broad engineering discipline with a range of activities and functions that touch almost every aspect of technology.
Mechanical Engineering covers subjects related to energy, fluid mechanics and dynamics, solid mechanics, heat transfer, and design and manufacturing. This diverse background uniquely positions Mechanical Engineers to help define the future of technology and play a critical role in solving global energy and sustainability challenges.
The Mechanical Engineering Program at Masdar Institute aspires to become renowned for outstanding graduate education and research that is at the forefront of engineering advancements. The mission of the Mechanical Engineering Program is to provide students with the fundamental knowledge, skills, and professional experience necessary for successful careers in industrial or academic roles that involve alternative energy and sustainable technologies.
Graduates of the Mechanical Engineering Program at Masdar Institute will be able to work collaboratively, conduct independent and multidisciplinary research, communicate effectively and recognize their role in solving global challenges, while simultaneously promoting sustainable engineering principles.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Mechanical Engineering Master of Science program, graduates are expected to attain the following outcomes:
- Successfully apply advanced concepts of fundamental sciences and engineering to identify, formulate and solve complex mechanical engineering problems.
- Successfully apply advanced concepts of mechanical engineering to the analysis, design, and development of systems, components, or processes to meet desired needs of society professionally and ethically.
- Use an advanced approach to design and conduct experiments, and to analyze and interpret data.
- Be continuously aware of contemporary issues and research opportunities/challenges related to energy and sustainability and engage in life-long learning in the field and in the fundamentals of other related disciplines.
- Use advanced techniques, skills, and modern scientific and engineering software tools for professional practice.
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form, both, individually and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
Mechanical Engineering research at Masdar Institute is aimed at providing major advancements in key areas of renewable energy and sustainable technology. Specific research topics include, but are not limited to, thermo-fluid sciences and include advanced computational methods, hydrodynamics, solid/fluid interactions, sustainable heating and cooling, power systems, materials and devices for renewable energy, waste to energy conversion and design for sustainability. Examples of ongoing Mechanical Engineering research activities at Masdar Institute are as follows:
- Hydrodynamics of wave power extraction
- Advanced technologies and controls for building energy efficiency
- Modeling of the urban thermo-fluid environment
- Waste-to-energy conversion via gasification
- Wind flow simulation on low and high rise structures including wind turbines
- Sustainable manufacturing
- Nuclear reactor engineering
All students for all programs are required to take four program core courses. In addition, each student must complete the following:
- Three elective courses from any program with the approval of advisor
- One university core course – Sustainable Energy
- 24 credits of thesis work (3 for 1st year Fall; 3 for 1st year Spring; 6 for Summer; 6 for 2nd year Fall; 6 for 2nd year Spring)
- A relevant undergraduate degree - undergraduate degrees must be in the fields of science, engineering or information technology
- CGPA - The minimum required for consideration for admissions is 3.0 on a scale of 4.0
- GRE scores - The minimum score required on the GRE Quantitative is 700 (or 155 on the new scale). There is no cut-off score for the Verbal and Analytical but these scores are also important and evaluated. The GRE exam cannot be waived.
- TOEFL (or academic IELTS) - The minimum TOEFL score required is 91 (Internet-based) on the international TOEFL. Equivalent paper/computer-based TOEFL is also accepted. The TOEFL can only be waived for native English speakers. The minimum academic IELTS score required is 6.5.
- High grades and scores are a prerequisite but are no guarantee of admission. Admission standards are in accordance with those of MIT.
About the School
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology is the world’s first graduate-level university dedicated to providing real-world solutions to issues of sustainability. A world-class research-driven univers ... Read More