About the Programme
The programme in Mathematics aims at training professional researchers in mathematical sciences and experts in mathematical education.
On successful completion of the programme students:
- will be prepared for Ph.D. qualifying tests in Algebra, Topology and Analysis,
- will have own research agenda and experience;
- will have teaching experience at university level.
The M.Sc. programme takes two full years of study. All M.Sc. students complete their Individual Plans of Study (IPS). The IPS includes some mandatory items. However, most courses are student chosen (students can choose from a certain number of special topics courses and a certain number of research seminars). A course project must be completed by the end of the first year. By the end of their course of study, students are required to submit a Master’s thesis. A presentation of thesis results, in the form of a seminar, is required. Every M.Sc. student has a faculty advisor, who supervises the course project and the Master’s thesis.
Applicants can expect to:
- Learn from leading experts in Mathematics and Mathematical Physics
- Take advantage of a great variety of mathematical events happening in Moscow, a world famous mathematical center
- Choose to combine our M.Sc. programme with international M.Sc. or integrated graduate programmes
- Take advantage of our student exchange programmes with universities in Europe and Japan
- Choose from a wide range of special topics courses and research seminars
- Continue their research in our Ph.D. programme or in any international Ph.D. programme in Mathematics (This year our first class of six M.Sc. students entered their second year and already they have received offers from the Universities Princeton, Bonn, Hanover and Nice )
- Benefit from a uniquely stimulating, dynamic and supportive learning environment
- Discover the rich and fascinating cultural life of Moscow
- Apply for Teaching Assistantships and Research Assistantships
- Apply for travel grants
The Faculty of Mathematics has a 4-year Ph.D. programme that is free for everybody. Students who wish to enter this programme are required to pass an entrance exam.
International Ph.D. programmes in Mathematics are also offered by the Institute of Information Transmission Problems and the Steklov Mathematical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (both institutes in Moscow). They are focused on fundamental and applied research.
The M.Sc. programme in Mathematics offers a wide range of mathematical courses.
- Mathematical methods of Science
- Graduate students seminar
- Complex analysis
- Ordinary differential equations
- Introduction to probability
- Functional analysis
- Equations of mathematical physics
- Partial differential equations and distributions
- Introduction to dynamical systems
- Analysis of several complex variables
- Integrable systems
- Advanced algebra
- Representation theory
- Commutative algebra
- Introduction to number theory
- Galois theory
- Logic and computability
- Lie groups and Lie algebras
- Homological algebra and sheaf theory
- Academic writing
- Advanced topology
- Riemann surfaces
- Differential geometry
- Algebraic geometry: a start-up course
- Differential topology
- Symplectic geometry and topology
- Singularity theory
- Riemannian geometry
- History of mathematics
Mathematician is the best job according to the 2014 survey of the career website CareerCast.com. Alumni of mathematical departments are often employed for the top three jobs of 2016 (these are data analyst, statistician and information security analyst).
However the majority of our “Mathematics” program graduates plan an academic career and continue their education at PhD level. They were invited to Mathematics PhD programmes at such universities as HSE, Princeton, MIT, Columbia, Stony Brook, Michigan - Ann Arbor, Leiden, and Nice, among others.
Exceptional candidates receive 100% tuition waive.
To apply for the Master of Science programme in Mathematics candidates must have or expect (by the end of August) a Bachelor of Science diploma (or equivalent) in Mathematics, Theoretical Physics, Computer Science or related fields. They are expected to have a strong interest in pure mathematics or mathematical physics and a record of extra-curricular activities in this field.
International applicants are requested to submit an application package. They do not have to take entrance exams.
List of documents required:
- Application form
- Letter of motivation (1-2 pages)
- Scans of diplomas and academic transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one from someone familiar with your academic work)
- Scan of English proficiency exam results (IELTS or TOEFL) *
* Applicants who are graduates of B.Sc. programmes, on which the official language of instruction was English, are exempt from providing a language certificate.
Our minimal requirements are as follows:
- IELTS 5
- TOEFL IBT (Internet Based) 60
- TOEFL PBT (Paper Based) 400
- CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English) C
- CAE (Certificate of Advanced English) None
- BEC Higher (Business English Certificate) None
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 22, 2017