The MSc in Marketing & Technology aims to transform students into uniquely-trained individuals possessing the knowledge and skills required to be successful marketers in dynamic and technology-driven industries.
Companies such as Netflix, Airbnb, and Tesla have one thing in common: they break with the norms of existing markets and employ unconventional, technology-driven marketing approaches. Traditional marketing education all too often neglects the marketing abilities that these companies possess.
The MSc in Marketing & Technology departs from the rather passive marketing logic that assumes markets and marketing channels are fixed features of reality. Instead, it shows how managers can proactively shape and create new markets and marketing landscapes.
The goal of this programme is to transform students into uniquely-trained individuals who understand how to leverage emerging technologies, such as 3D printing, Virtual Reality, and the Internet of Things, to design unique customer experiences, disrupt existing markets, and create entirely new ones.
The programme will direct students’ attention to significant and emerging technological trends, and show how they can address important social and environmental problems.
It seeks to enable students to discover new market opportunities that will have a positive impact on the economy, society, and the environment. Students will be equipped with the skills required to effectively navigate today’s technology-dominated marketing environments, and they will learn how to be successful marketers in the digital marketing era.
You will find this programme valuable if you:
- aim to find a marketing job in an entrepreneurial company, in a creative or technology-dominated industry, and/or in the area of digital marketing,
- prefer working in dynamic and fast-changing environments,
- have an entrepreneurial mindset and enjoy thinking outside the box,
- are fascinated by human ingenuity and the latest technological discoveries,
- seek to make a positive impact on society.
Modules & structure
The MSc Marketing & Technology consists of:
- six core modules (90 combined credits)
- two optional modules (30 combined credits)
- a research dissertation (60 credits)
You will study the following core modules:
- Technological Innovation & Market Creation 15 Credits
- Digital Marketing & Branding 15 Credits
- Creating Customer Experiences 15 Credits
- Marketing Strategy 15 credits
- Marketing Analytics 15 Credits
- Research Design & Analysis 15 Credits
You'll undertake an independent piece of research focusing on the intersection of marketing, technology management, and innovation. The research dissertation should be no longer than 10,000 words. You'll be advised by an experienced supervisor.
You can choose two optional modules to make up the remaining 30 credits:
- Consumer Behaviour 15 credits
- Psychology of Marketing and Advertising 15 credits
- Innovation Theory 15 Credits
- Innovation Case Studies 15 credits
- Design Thinking 15 Credits
- Digital Research Methods 15 credits
- Leadership and Talent Management 15 credits
Please note that due to staff research commitments not all of these modules may be available every year.
Skills & careers
Companies across many industries have to cope with increasingly technology-dominated marketing environments. This programme is a response to the marketing needs of such companies. Also, entrepreneurial, technology-based firms will value the skills provided by this programme. Typical jobs include, but are not limited to, the positions of marketing manager, product manager, brand manager, advertising manager, PR manager, media manager, digital communications manager, account manager, marketing strategist, marketing analyst, marketing consultant, or sales manager.
You will be expected to hold a 2:1 minimum. Relevant work experience will be considered in place of an undergraduate qualification on a case-by-case basis.
We accept a wide range of international qualifications. Find out more about the qualifications we accept from around the world.
English language requirements
If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to meet our English language requirements to study with us.
For this programme we require:
IELTS 6.5 with a 6.5 in writing and no element lower than 5.5.
If you need assistance with your English language, we offer a range of courses that can help prepare you for postgraduate-level study.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 31, 2018