About this course
Designed and delivered by expert academics and scientists, this full or part-time interdisciplinary programme blends theoretical study with practical, field-based work. You will cover specialist subject areas and gain the skills required to tackle the complex issues associated with the sustainable development of marine ecosystems.
As well as access to cutting-edge facilities and learning resources at our Europa Point Campus, the iconic Straits of Gibraltar, a unique location for marine biological research, provides a natural laboratory for your studies. The Straits and their surrounding area have long been recognised for their marine biodiversity.
You are able to choose a full, or part-time study and have the freedom to choose your exit award (Post Graduate Certificate, Post Graduate Diploma or full Master’s Degree).
The programme is based on a series of modules in increasing levels of specialism.
- The first part of the programme will focus on oceanography and marine biology, research skills and methods, marine conservation, sustainability and management of marine ecosystems.
- The second part will concentrate on climate-change impacts, particularly climate change adaptation and ecosystem-based disaster-risk reduction.
- The final section of the Master's programme will involve an independent and original research project, which will be assessed via dissertation and viva.
You will undertake your research project working directly with researchers at the University of Gibraltar and with external specialists. It may be possible to carry out your research project abroad.
Course Structure and Indicative Schedule
CATS = Credit Accumulation Transfer Scheme where 1 CAT = 10 notional (contact + individual) hours of study
English Language Requirements
If English is not your first language, you are required to have one of the following qualifications as evidence of their English language skills:
- IELTS: 6.5 with 6.0 minimum in each skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade C
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Grade B
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): 60 with 51 in each component
- IBT TOEFL: 90 with no subtest less than 17
- A minimum of a second class Honours degree (2.1 preferred) or equivalent in a relevant subject. Applicants from other disciplines with a 2:1 or 1st, or with a 2.2 degree in a relevant subject but with significant appropriate/relevant work/life experience (at least two years of work/life experience deemed by the University to be either appropriate in the fulfilment of minimum entry criteria) are encouraged to apply.
- At least a good level of high-school Maths and English (GCSE, Grade C, or equivalent). Proven ICT skills in word-processing, database management, email and Internet are a requirement. Students must also be able to communicate their ideas effectively in writing, in discussions and media presentations.
Offers are based on a combination of qualifications or predicted grades, the applicant’s personal statement and references.
Accreditation of Prior Learning/Experience (APLE)
Students who can provide evidence of having attended similar programmes, obtained equivalent awards and/or extensive specialist experience, may be granted APLE and may enter the programme at PGDip level.
Non-standard Entry Requirements
Alternate entry into the PGCert level can be achieved through suitably documented extensive work experience (e.g. >1 year) relevant to the programme (e.g. marine environmental research, government planning, environmental impact work, work for NGO or international agency). Such applicants may be required to submit a discursive account of why this experience is relevant.
If you have overseas qualifications you can check their comparability with the UK equivalent through the UK National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC), who provide an advisory service.
- Home: £7,750
- International: £15,000
Applications for academic year 2020/2021 will open in October 2019. Application deadline June 2020.
About the School
Get ready to go further with the University of Gibraltar. Whatever you choose to study with us, you will get a more personal learning experience at a new kind of university. Our UK-aligned, industry- ... Read More