Design for businesses is now changing from a narrow project-based to a key strategy-based function. IT becomes instrumental in forging strategies for value creation in a wide range of sectors, institutions, situations, etc.. Design Management combines innovation processes to create effective products and services or to tackle in new ways key challenges for corporations (such as sustainability and diversity, digitalization, global performance, etc.).
Our MSc in Management through Design blends the original designers’ way of thinking and creating with the management strategies and market value creation challenges to forge efficient, innovative solutions.
The design process involves observations, interviews, interactions with the users/customers to empathize with them, to define the real underlying issues and to discover unmet needs within the context and constraints of a particular situation. This approach frames the opportunity and scope of innovation, generating creative ideas, testing, and refining solutions. Design involves learning by doing and a positive approach to failures as a path to improve a particular solution.
Methodologies used by designers to solve complex design problems have been used more broadly and has been applied in business and to social issues. These approaches rely on logic, imagination, intuition, and systemic reasoning, to explore possibilities and to create desired outcomes that benefit the end-user.
Our MSc in Management and Design is a 10-month program preparing students to use the approach of designers in their everyday work of managers. It offers students a truly multi-cultural and international experience on our campus-based in Montpellier, South of France.
Students will develop their general management skills and explore the different way to use design methodology for the purpose of problem-solving in a business or social setting. The curriculum put a special focus on the digital transformation of the industry and the importance of a multi-cultural approach. Business projects and visits throughout the year will pace the academic experience and give students the opportunity to gain valuable work and real-life experience.
Students will have the chance to participate in different seminars, workshops, and meeting, where companies come to our campus to meet their future managers and high-quality interns. Our career center and alumni network are also providing students with a full range of workshops and tools to enhance their career.
- Duration: 10 months
- Intake: once a year in September
- Mode: Full time
- Credits: 90 ECTS
- Language: entirely taught in English
- Location: Montpellier Business School campus
- Tuition fees: €13,900
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent
- English test: a minimum score of TOEFL 80/120 or TOEIC 785/990 or IELTS 6/9 or M.B.S. English test B2 (free)
- Relevant professional goals
- You will have to complete the online application form (which can be saved and completed over time).
- Selected applicants will be scheduled for admission interviews via videoconference or at Montpellier Business School.
- Copy of passport
- One passport photograph
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Copies of highest diploma obtained
- Copies of transcripts of records from the past three years. Please provide an English translation of your documents if they are written in other languages than French and English
- Proof of English Language Proficiency: minimum score of TOEFL 80/120, IELTS 6/9 or TOEIC 785/990 or Montpellier Business School English test (free) B2. Candidates with previous English studies are exempted.
- Courses and business projects: Academic year from September to June
- MSc Thesis: September to August
- Graduation: December
Fundamentals of management (24 ECTS):
- Advanced Strategic Marketing
- Consumer psychology & behavior
- Digital Marketing
- Sustainable Innovation Development
- Digital Change
- Graphic design and brand communication
- Soft Skills Development
Design and Management (15 ECTS):
- Design Thinking Certification
- Design, Technology and prototyping
- Business design
Business projects (21 ECTS):
- Entrepreneurial Project
MSc Thesis (30 ECTS)
- Bachelor degree or higher
- English proficiency: IELTS 6/9, B2
Graduates could go on to successful careers within professional design and/or management organizations, business enterprises, leadership and management roles in the private, public and voluntary sector, or further their academic study (Ph.D., DBA, etc.).
Graduates may reach a wide range of management and marketing positions where design will help them differentiate within the pool of applicants. Armed with solid management foundations, more specifically, they may find positions in the field of:
- Research and Development
- Business development
- Innovation management
- Team management
- Creativity and design
- Digital transformation
They may also become entrepreneurs or consultants
- design department managers, brand managers, design directors,
- innovation directors, service designers and design strategists.
- Also work as managers and executive responsible for making decisions about how design is used in the organization, in companies, design and innovation agencies, but also in education and government agencies.
Design managers deal with managing teams that might include industrial design, graphic design, service design, environment design, brand identity, fashion design, interface design, interior design, experience design, architecture and engineering.
About the School
Founded in 1897, Montpellier Business School developed high level study programs accessible through an International Entrance Exam, in a tradition of quality and innovation. The school is internationa ... Read More