MIS faculty teach and research the application of information systems in organizations. This includes the study of social networks, cloud computing, Information Technologies (IT) consumerization, virtual reality, negotiation systems, collaboration technologies, office automation, electronic payments, strategic information systems, electronic commerce, collective intelligence, telemedicine, electronic markets, social media, information requirements analysis, systems development methods, enterprise resource planning systems, systems implementation, adoption, and diffusion, mobile computing, and much more. The information technologies and systems we teach and research transform people’s lives, jobs and, for industry after industry, business models, products, supply chains, and distribution channels.
We are also interested in the implications of those technologies for people and society; personal privacy, infrastructure dependency, security, safeguarding of intellectual property, and IT-related stress all capture the interest of MIS faculty. So too do the political implementations of the Internet, the evolution of the field, and IT in developing nations. And that’s just today! Ours is one of the most dynamic fields; the area your dissertation will focus on in several years may not have even been conceived of today.
Graduates of MIS specialization often find jobs as systems analysts or as chief technical officers; chief information officer positions, also known as computer and information systems managers, are another possibility. The professionals in these managerial positions work together to ensure that a business chooses the right management technologies for the task at hand, as well as the most effective ways to implement them.
The requirements for an M.S. degree without thesis include 36 credits of coursework (12 courses) and a non-credit master’s project. For an M.S. degree with thesis, besides the 24 credit coursework (8 courses), a non-credit seminar and a successful defense of the M.S. thesis is required.
Kadir Has University is one of Turkey’s 32 universities with undergraduate programs in MIS and Business Informatics in Turkey. There are huge numbers of vacancies in MIS academic positions. It is highly likely that any time upon or close to your graduation from the M.S. program, you will get an academic position offer.
Why Should I Choose This Program?
Let us consider a couple of recently established IT based companies’ worldwide for a moment: Google, Facebook, Yahoo, YouTube, Twitter, Amazon, e-bay, LinkedIn, FourSquare, Alibaba. The market value of each of these companies is measured in terms of billions of USD. Is this a coincidence or is it the new way of business? We believe that the answer is the latter. As we progress within the new technological era lots of things regarding our lives will dramatically change whether we like it or not. Some of these changes are a way of doing business, social life, entertainment, communication, commercialization, medicine, drug design, education, customer relations, resource planning, logistics, etc.
Thus, “if you are the one who is interested in IT and its application in organizations and have an interest in conducting research, performing excellent teaching, and in helping to invent a future around, applications of IT”, then you have a common passion with us. Just drop by and let’s have a talk. This may be the first step towards an exciting and promising career for you!
Some Reasons to Consider an M.S. in MIS from Kadir Has University
- Active research projects in healthcare information systems, social media, innovation management, enterprise systems, technology adoption, big data, and cyber-infrastructure,
- Research experience in a variety of traditions such as experimental methods, data mining, and its applications, econometric analysis, qualitative case-based research, social media, mobile systems, data governance, design and management of information systems,
- Publications in leading journals across multiple disciplines, including all major information systems journals.
What Will I Learn in This Program and How Will It Contribute to My Career?
In addition to furthering your knowledge about information systems, you will be given the opportunity to develop the research skills and mindset necessary to be a successful scholar. In our seminars, as well as those you will take in other disciplines, you will learn about research methods, data analysis approaches, and theories applicable to your research. You will also gain the necessary teaching expertise and experience.
Information on the Institution
MIS department was officially founded in 2013 under the School of Engineering and Natural Sciences. MIS graduate program, however, was established in 2008-2009 under the Institute of Science and Engineering as one of the graduate programs of Information Technologies Department. The first graduates of the MIS graduate program were in the 2010-2011 academic year.
Qualification Awarded/Level of Qualification
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be awarded Master of Science in Management Information Systems (The Qualifications Frameworks in the European Higher Education Area (QF-EHEA): Level 2, European Qualifications Framework (EQF): Level 7)
The applicants of the program are required to hold a B.Sc. degree in Engineering, Letter, and Arts, Business etc. and to have scored at least 55 in the quantitative section of Academic Personnel and Graduate Education Entrance Examination (ALES) and 50 in the Interuniversity Council Language Examination. ALES or GRE score requirement is applicable to international students. International language examinations' (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) scores are acceptable for all applicants according to the equivalencies as imposed by the regulations of the Higher Education Council. The applicants fulfilling these requirements are further interviewed (Detailed information: http://www.khas.edu.tr)
Recognition of Prior Learning
Students are required to successfully complete the curriculum accepted by the Senate corresponding to 120 ECTS credits in total; that is, coursework with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.50/4.00 and an M.S. thesis.
Students are required to successfully complete the curriculum accepted by the Senate corresponding to 120 ECTS credits in total, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.50/4.00, and an M.S. thesis.
Definition of the Program
In MIS graduate program besides the topics of business such as management accounting, finance, sales, marketing, students are required to conduct research in information system analysis and design. Topics of computer and Information system security, decision support systems, protection of data, data mining, e-commerce, database systems, web technologies, cloud computing, mobile technologies, social media, and how these subject affect business activities are thought.
- Ability to reach knowledge deeply and widely and to evaluate, interpret and apply to business activities, by doing research in management information systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge in contemporary techniques and methods in management information systems and their constraints.
- Ability to integrate and apply knowledge using scientific methods on uncertain, limited or incomplete data; the ability to use knowledge from different disciplines.
- Awareness of new and emerging applications in management information systems, the ability to analyze and learn them whenever necessary.
- Ability to identify and formulate problems related to management information systems, to develop methods for their solutions and to use innovative techniques in the solutions.
- Ability to develop original ideas and methods, to design complex systems or processes and to present innovative/alternative solutions in these designs.
- Ability to design and apply theoretical, experimental and model-based research; ability to interpret and analyze complex problems in such processes.
- Ability to work in and lead single- or multi-disciplinary teams and to develop solution approaches for complexities; ability to work and take responsibilities independently.
- Ability to communicate in written and oral English at level B2 of European Language Portfolio.
- Ability to communicate the progress and results of her/his studies openly and systematically in the national and international circles of the same or other disciplines.
- Knowledge about the social, environmental, health, security, and legal aspects of information system applications, project and technology management and their applications to business' activities and, awareness of limitations brought by them on these applications.
- Ability to observe social, scientific and ethical values in collecting, interpreting and disseminating data and all other professional activities.
Occupational Profiles of Graduates
MIS graduates are employed in all sectors, in all industries (such as banking, telecom, logistics, health, management, tourism etc.), in all aspects of business such as accounting, management, finance, and (technology) management.
Access to Further Studies
Upon successful completion of the graduate program, candidates can apply to doctoral programs.
Course and Instructor Evaluation Questionnaire, Graduation Questionnaire, Satisfaction Questionnaire
Exchange programmes with various North American, European and Asian universities and ERASMUS (13 universities in nine countries) programmes (see http://www.khas.edu.tr/en/international2/International-Programs/main-page.html)
About the School
Kadir Has University (KHU) was founded in 1997, in Istanbul. The university, with its five faculties of Engineering and Natural Sciences, Economics and Administrative Sciences, Communication, Law and ... Read More