Students are trained to do research and development in the field of laser and fiber optic systems. Skills to carry out research in the field of info-communications and to develop advanced optical communication systems are given. Practical skills are obtained during the research works.
Program profile. Major areas of expertise:
- Basics of technology of optoelectronic devices;
- Fiber-optic communication lines and systems;
- Laser physics;
- Optics and spectroscopy;
- Info-communication technologies.
- Basic background and research experience in the field of modern fiber optic and laser systems;
- Potential to R&D in the fields of laser physics and optics;
- Analytical, critical and problem-solving skills;
- Transferable skills, necessary for employment: initiative, decision making and ability to undertake further professional training.
Curriculum (General Modules)
|Theory of Building Communication Systems and Networks
|Laser Systems and Quantum Electronics
|Information Processing. Optical Signal Processing. Space-Time Signal Processing
|Devices and Components of Fiber-optic Telecommunication Systems
|Fiber-Optic Systems and Sensors
|Fundamentals of Quantum Optics
|Light Propagation in Nonlinear Media
|Methods of Simulation and Optimization
|Spectroscopy of Materials for Laser Technologies
|Theory of Electromagnetic Compatibility of Radioelectronic Facilities and Systems
|Modern Information Technologies
|Laser Technologies and Holography
|Elective Courses (Practice on Laser and Fiber-Optic Technologies)
|Master’s Thesis and Research Work
- Bachelor’s, Specialist’s or Master’s degree in a relevant area is required
- English language proficiency - B+ (CEFR B2)
- Exam Test in a relevant field of studies
- Interview in English with a program coordinator (Skype option is available).
- National Instruments (USA)
- Schlumberger (France)
- Corning (USA)
- Lazer Zentrum Hannover (Germany)
- Technical University of Munich (Germany)
- Tsinghua University (China)
- Vietnam Research Institute of Electronics, Informatics, and Automation (Vietnam)
- A.F. Ioffe Physico-Technical Institute (Russia)
- Concern CSRI Elektropribor (Russia)
- Scientific Industrial Enterprise “Radar MMS” (Russia)
Staying in the most beautiful city of Russia - Saint-Petersburg - will reward you with an unforgettable experience!
Upon graduation of this course, one may pursue positions in R&D departments in international companies in the field of telecommunication and optic systems. There is also an option to continue studies and get a Ph.D.
See 18 more programs offered by Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University »
Last updated September 9, 2019
This course is