Why this course?
The Masters degree in Investment & Finance is for those wanting to develop careers in areas such as security analysis, portfolio analysis and investment management.
The course provides you with a rigorous education in the theory of finance. It also covers the various techniques and analytical tools used by investment professionals in practical decision-taking.
The course will provide you with:
- an understanding of financial theory and analysis
- an appreciation of the nature of financial markets and institutions
- a good working knowledge of accounting principles and financial statement analysis
- an understanding of the techniques and concepts employed in the valuation of bonds and equities
- an ability to develop portfolios and investment strategies to meet risk-return objectives
- an understanding of derivatives – options, futures, swaps
- an understanding of the quantitative analysis and techniques employed in finance
The taught component of the course is covered in the first two semesters. The research project will take up the third (summer) semester.
Core subjects include Principles of Finance and Accounting & Financial Analysis. Elective classes include Topics in Corporate Finance and Derivatives & Treasury Management.
Dissertation or three research projects (MSc only)
You’ll work on either a series of research projects or a dissertation, supported by an academic supervisor. You can choose a topic from the broad range of issues covered on the programme.
You’ll be assessed on your ability to select and apply relevant theory and research methods. This work may be linked to an issue raised by, or a problem to be solved for, an employer.
Strathclyde’s award-winning Business School is one of the largest institutions of its kind in Europe. We've around 200 academic staff and more than 3000 full-time students.
The departments and specialist units work together to provide a dynamic, fully-rounded and varied programme of specialist and cross-disciplinary postgraduate courses.
The MSc Investment & Finance has been accepted into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program. This status is granted to institutions whose degree program(s) incorporate at least 70% of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK), which provide students with a solid grounding in the CBOK and positions them well to sit for the CFA exams.
- a good undergraduate degree or equivalent, in accounting, economics, business studies or a subject area with a strong quantitative basis
- applications are also considered from those with appropriate professional qualifications and relevant practical experience
- for students whose first language is not English, get more information about the English language requirements for studying at Strathclyde
- you must be able to attend the introductory sessions in mid September 2017
Pre-Masters preparation course
The Pre-Masters Programme is a preparation course for international students (non EU/UK) who do not meet the entry requirements for a Masters degree at University of Strathclyde. The Pre-Masters programme provides progression to a number of degree options.
To find out more about the courses and opportunities on offer visit isc.strath.ac.uk or call today on +44 (0) 1273 339333 and discuss your education future. You can also complete the online application form. To ask a question please fill in the enquiry form and talk to one of our multi-lingual Student Enrolment Advisers today.
This course is suitable for those intending to develop their careers in finance, broadly defined as:
- corporate finance
- security analysis
- portfolio management
- options and futures
- treasury management
- the functioning of financial institutions and markets
- financial decision-taking in the public sector
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 28, 2017