The MSc Investment Management programme will provide you with a solid understanding of financial markets, securities and investment management theories and strategies. You will also grasp the complexities of contemporary economics and financial principles and how these apply to decision-making in financial intermediation, savings and investment. The programme is designed to meet the growing demand amongst banks, fund managers, regulators and other financial institutions in China and Asia. It aims to produce graduates who have specialist knowledge and an understanding of financial markets and investment management.
This is a practiced-based masters degree with the objective of preparing you for employment in the financial markets after graduation, though it can also serve as a base for further academic study. International Business School Suzhou has worked with Thomson Reuters, Bloomberg, Wind, WRDS, and CSMAR to offer students on this programme privileged access to the on-campus Financial Lab and Trading Floor as well as to a wealth of analytics and data on global financial markets for both study and research purposes.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System）in 2016 and 2018 respectively. AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation. The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritative and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
Unique selling points
IBSS Financial Lab
IBSS is unique in China with its on-campus IBSS Financial Lab and Trading Floor. This trading and analytics room, created in partnership with financial institutes, has 25 positions and contains the Thomson Reuters EIKON system, Bloomberg Terminal, Wind Financial Terminal, Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS), and CSMAR Financial Database, used by financial institutions around the world for both trading and analysis purposes. These sophisticated terminals and databases give students access to a wealth of data for study and research purposes. Students will be trained to use these terminals. Students may take exams to obtain certificates offered by, for example, Thomson Reuters for its EIKON certificate, a valuable skill for anyone that wants to enter the financial industry, whether in China or abroad.
Recognition by the CFA Institute
The MSc Investment Management programme has been designed to map to the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) Program Candidate Body of Knowledge™ (CBOK) and has been formally recognised under the CFA Institute University Recognition Program.
Knowledge and skills
The MSc Investment Management programme will equip you with:
- knowledge and understanding of financial markets in China and internationally
- preparation for the CFA exam
- training on the Thomson Reuters EIKON system, Bloomberg Terminal and Wind Financial Terminal, used throughout the financial markets and securities
- training on programming skills in accessing Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) and CSMAR Financial Database throughout the research on financial markets and investment strategies
- specialist, technical knowledge in financial markets and securities
- career guidance and support in CV writing, interview skills, and other career support services
- Financial analysis
- Quantitative methods for finance
- Equity: cash and derivative instruments
- Financial Derivatives
- Ethical and professional standards in finance
- Advanced corporate finance
- Alternative investment and strategies
- Fixed income and derivative instruments
- Portfolio management
- Industry research project
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
We are at a historic point in time as China, the world's second largest economy, deregulates and grows its financial markets. The country is short of qualified professionals, at both graduate and career levels, as financial markets are so new to the country. In the coming years we expect to see very high growth in the employment of new graduates with a solid education in financial markets and investment management. This is not just an opportunity for Chinese nationals who wish to work in Shanghai or other Chinese cities, but also for international students, as banks around the world build their "China desks" and search for people with knowledge and contacts within China. The MSc Investment Management programme at IBSS is designed to meet this growing demand.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in mathematics, finance, or a related subject. Or relevant work experience and a good knowledge of quantitative methods, statistics or financial mathematics.
- North America: 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
- Other regions: Equivalent academic qualifications
English language requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 6, 2018