We are at a historic point in time as China, the world's second-largest economy deregulates and grows its financial markets. In the coming years, the demand for graduates with a solid education in financial markets, securities and investment management is expected to grow significantly.
In the MSc Investment Management programme, you will learn about the complexities of contemporary economics and financial principles and how these apply to decision-making in financial intermediation, savings and investment. While this is a practised-based masters programme, it can also serve as a solid foundation for further study.
The programme is delivered in the International Business School Suzhou (IBSS), one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS). Less than 100 business schools worldwide have both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation.
Why Study Investment Management at XJTLU?
- Take advantage of the IBSS Financial Lab and Trading Floor located on campus, which gives you access to a world of data for study and research purposes, including data, feeds from the Thomson Reuters EIKON system, Bloomberg Terminal, Wind Financial Terminal, Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS), and CSMAR Financial Database;
- Graduate with a degree recognised by the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute (CFA)'s University Recognition Program;
- Connect with industry through internship, networking and work experience opportunities;
- Earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
IBSS Financial Lab
IBSS is unique in China with its on-campus IBSS Financial Lab and Trading Floor. This trading and analytics room, created in partnership with financial institutes, has 25 positions and contains the Thomson Reuters EIKON system, Bloomberg Terminal, Wind Financial Terminal, Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS), and CSMAR Financial Database, used by financial institutions around the world for both trading and analysis purposes. These sophisticated terminals and databases give students access to a wealth of data for study and research purposes. Students will be trained to use these terminals. Students may take exams to obtain certificates offered by, for example, Thomson Reuters for its EIKON certificate, a valuable skill for anyone that wants to enter the financial industry, whether in China or abroad.
Recognition by the CFA Institute
The MSc Investment Management programme has been designed to map to the CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) Program Candidate Body of Knowledge™ (CBOK) and has been formally recognised under the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program.
Knowledge and skills
By the time you graduate from the MSc Investment Management programme, you will have:
- a solid understanding of financial markets in China and internationally;
- a strong foundation to undertake the CFA exam;
- the ability to navigate a number of financial data systems including Thomson Reuters EIKON system, Bloomberg Terminal and Wind Financial Terminal, which are used throughout the financial markets and securities;
- programming skills in accessing WRDS and CSMAR Financial Database;
- specialist, technical knowledge in financial markets and securities.
"The hands-on experience helps position me for a great job upon graduation."
Alumna, MSc Investment Management, China
- Financial Analysis
- Quantitative Methods for Finance
- Equity: Cash and Derivative Instruments
- Ethical and Professional Standards in Finance
- Financial Derivatives
- Advanced Corporate Finance
- Alternative Investments and Strategies
- Fixed Income and Derivative Instruments
- Portfolio Management
- Industry Research Project
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your master's degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
Additional learning activities on MSc Investment Management include:
- Development in Personal and Employability Skills
- Postgraduate English
- Chinese Language
- Volunteer Work for University and School Projects and Events
- Graduate Research Assistantship
- Participation in IBSS research seminar series
- CFA Research Challenge
- Professional Software Skills
- EIKON Certificate Achievement
- Datastream Certificate Achievement
- In-Company Project
- Field Trip/Company visit
- Career Development Activities
- Graduate Work Placement
- Family Enterprise and Ownership
- Training in Advanced Quantitative and Programing Skills
- Empirical Data Analytics
- Time Series Analytics
- Asset Pricing Analytics
- Python and Machine Learning
- Programing in SAS and VBA, etc.
Graduates from this programme are well prepared for careers in the financial sector not only in China but in any international bank or financial institution with ambitions to build their business in the world's second-largest economy.
RMB 120,000 for the entire 18-month full-time programme.
If you are a graduate of XJTLU, the University of Liverpool or Xi’an Jiaotong University, you will automatically receive a discount of 20 per cent of the tuition fee.
Masters students have the option to pay tuition fees in instalments each semester. You can also choose to pay the fees upfront at the time of registration, in this case, a discount of five per cent of the total fees will be offered.
You will be asked to indicate how you would like to pay the fees when you confirm your acceptance of the unconditional offer.
XJTLU offers a generous scholarship of up to 50 per cent of the total tuition fee for all full-time masters programmes based on academic merit. Should you wish to apply for XJTLU master scholarship, please submit a scholarship application letter in your application stating the reasons why you should be considered.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai Ranking--75 per cent or above
- Non 211 project; Non-Top 100 of 2019 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% per cent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update http://www.zuihaodaxue.com/zuihaodaxuepaiming2019.html
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme.
- Equivalent academic qualifications.
- An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in mathematics, finance, or a related subject. Or relevant work experience and a good knowledge of quantitative methods, statistics or financial mathematics.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5 – 1.0 of an overall IELTS band but meet the language requirements for the Pre-sessional English (PSE) courses (including minimum component scores or equivalents), you may be accepted onto the PSE course subject to Programme Director’s approval. Upon successful enrolment on the PSE course, you will be able to change your XJTLU Master’s offer letter to ‘Unconditional’ for English level.
If you are a conditional offer holder, you can also send an email to email@example.com to apply to take the onsite Password English language test provided by XJTLU in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or its equivalent.
Please note that the Password Test is only available to students who have been issued a conditional offer to study at XJTLU. The University provides one Password Test opportunity for each conditional offer holder. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students who are admitted onto a Master’s programme by taking the Pre-sessional English (PSE) Course are required to complete English language modules listed on the Programme Specification on a pass/fail basis as part of their Additional Learning Activity plan during their studies at XJTLU.
"This master’s programme combines investment theories, professional knowledge and skills: allowing you to analyse real investment problems and solve portfolio management issues in practice. It helps you get familiar with the data, tools and platforms widely used in investment industries."
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted via our online application system:
- Click/tap the apply link
- Create an account or log in to your existing account
- Complete your application
Once your application account is successfully created, enter all the information required in the application form carefully and make sure the information you provide is correct, complete and up to date. Upload the required documents to the corresponding fields.
You may log-in to view your application form at any time. If you need to provide any additional supporting documents after you submit the application online, please send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org(with your application ID, name, and applied programme name).
For further details of how to successfully apply to study at XJTLU, please visit the how to apply page.
Application cut-off dates
To effectively manage the application and admissions process, important cut-off dates for applying for Master's programmes (September 2020 Intake) of International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) are introduced: 30th April, 31st May and 30th June 2020.
Programme Directors will review applications received from the Master's Admissions Team, Graduate School at XJTLU on each cut-off date. Only applications with full documents that have been reviewed by the Master's Admissions Team will be passed to Programme Directors. You are strongly advised to submit your completed application by providing all required supporting documents at least one week prior to the cut-off date. Incomplete applications will be automatically postponed to the next round review. Under normal circumstances, applicants will receive application outcomes no longer than 2 weeks after each cut-off date.
About the School
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the United Kingdom in 2006. ... Read More