The MSc Investment Analysis is the UK’s longest-established postgraduate level course in the field of investment management education. It is one of the very few Master’s degrees in the UK to have CFA® Institute Program Partner status and one of a select group of partner institutions worldwide.
As a CFA® Institute Program Partner, at least 70% of the learning outcomes of all three levels of the CFA® Programme are covered and so the course is ideally suited to those who wish to become qualified as a CFA® Charter-Holder.
Top Reasons To Study With Us
- The MSc in Investment Analysis at Stirling was the UK’s first postgraduate programme in the field, and is one of the few such programmes in the world to have CFA® Institute Programme Partner status. 70% of the learning outcomes of the CFA® Charter Programme are covered, the course is ideally suited to students who wish to qualify as CFA® Charter holders.
- Students undertake the free Amplify Trading week long masterclass giving practical experience of financial markets.
- The Course Director, Dr Kevin Campbell, is an internationally respected expert with specialist research interests in corporate finance and governance.
- University of Stirling students have reached the final of the CFA® Institute Research Challenge on eight out of the last nine years, a record unique amongst the UK Partner Programme universities. In 2016 Stirling won the UK final.
- In the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF) the School was placed in the UK’s top 25 institutions for Business and Management, out of 101 business schools. In Scotland, the School was ranked in the top five.
The syllabus has a distinctly international orientation that reflects the increasingly globalised nature of financial markets and the investment management profession.
Such is the international reputation of the course that students come from a wide variety of educational and professional backgrounds and cultures, providing a unique opportunity for the development of worldwide contacts. The Stirling MSc in Investment Analysis team has an unrivalled record in the UK CFA© Institute Research Challenge. Stirling has won the UK final of this competition and reached the final in eight out of nine years. As a Programme Partner we are also able to offer on a competitive basis CFA Scholarships for the CFA level 1 exam.
What makes us different?
A minimum of a second class Honours degree or equivalent. Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant appropriate/relevant work/life experience are encouraged to apply.
INTO University of Stirling offers a Graduate Diploma for those students who do not meet the required criteria for this course. If you successfully complete the Graduate Diploma in Business, Finance and Sport and meet the required progression grades, you will be guaranteed entry onto this Master's degree.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills:
- IELTS: 6.0 with 5.5 minimum in each skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade C
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Grade C
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): 54 with 51 in each component
- IBT TOEFL: 80 with no subtest less than 17
If you don’t meet the required score you may be able to register for one of our pre-sessional English courses. To register you must hold a conditional offer for your course and have an IELTS score 0.5 or 1.0 below the required standard.
Scholarships & funding
Stirling Management School Postgraduate Scholarships
Stirling Management School is committed to investing in academically talented students, enabling them to further their education with a reputable qualification from one of the many Postgraduate degree courses on offer at the University of Stirling. There are various categories of funding available to support the cost of your studies at Stirling Management School.
The Investment Analysis course has two specific scholarship opportunities: The Karen Napier Scholarship and the Wauton Scholarship.
The Karen Napier Scholarship will meet the course fees and will also provide a £3,500 maintenance award and the Wauton Scholarship provides £1,000 funding towards tuition fees. Scholarship applications for 2016 entry are now closed.
Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan
This course is currently approved for PTFL (Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan) funding from SAAS. More information
Structure and content
This one-year full-time course has an initial taught component of two 15-week semesters involving lectures, practical case study work and workshops followed by a supervised dissertation.
As soon as you arrive at Stirling you are introduced to your course, fellow students and the University by taking part in the Stirling Management School Flying Start Leadership Programme. This induction enables you to develop skills to get the most out of your studies and to progress quickly in your career.
Delivery and assessment
Students experience lectures, small group seminars, problem-solving classes, drop-in sessions, computer labs and group working during their studies. Successful completion of the taught modules leads to the award of a Postgraduate Diploma. The Master’s degree is awarded on satisfactory completion of a dissertation, following the Diploma examinations. Dissertation topics range over all areas of relevance to investment analysis and allow completion of a case study or research topic dissertation.
The top student on the course receives the Walter Scott Global Investment Management Prize.
Where are our graduates now?
Stirling Management School is unique in having a dedicated Employability Manager and from the very beginning of the course your career is our focus.
MSc Investment Analysis graduates work around the world and the following are examples of the organisations they are employed by:
- Aegon Asset Management
- Alliance Trust
- Baillie Gifford
- Barclays Global Investors
- Ernst & Young
- Investec Securities
- JP Morgan
- Russell Investments
- Silk Invest Ltd
- Standard Charted Bank
- Walter Scott Global Investment Management
Graduates entering into employment in the recent years have secured positions such as:
- Financial Consultant, e-FSW (Greece)
- Relationship Adviser (Private Banking), Royal Bank of Scotland (UK)
- Quantitative Analyst, Silk Invest Ltd (UK)
- Investment Banking Analyst, Government Savings Bank (Thailand)
Alumni of Investment Analysis who graduated between five and ten years ago have advanced into positions such as:
- Partner, Corporate Services Bureau Limited (Zambia)
- Senior Broker (Retail Sales & Trading), National Securities (Greece)
- Portfolio Manager – High Yield, Fortis Investments (UK)
- Senior Analyst, Bank of Thailand Risk Analyst, RBS Insurance (UK)
- Investment Researcher, Jiajing Investment Company (China)
Our alumni are leading and shaping the strategy of global financial organisations:
- Managing Director, Citi – Global Banking (Hong Kong)
- Head of Asset Management, Allemby Hunt (UK)
- Fund Manager, MCB Investment Management (Mauritius)
- Chief Financial Officer, Nanyang Press Holding (Malaysia)
- Vice President, MCB Bank Ltd (Pakistan)
- Senior Equity Analyst, Atlantic Investment (USA)
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
- Overseas £14,600
- Home/EU £7,750
From 2016/7 onwards, the fees for all taught postgraduate courses are to be held at the level set upon entry.
Please note there is an additional charge for the conferral of your degree. This will be charged at the rate applicable when you complete your studies.
Last updated January 16, 2017