Tourism and hospitality are expanding global industries resulting in an increased demand for skilled managers to lead and develop international organisations.
The MA International Tourism and Hospitality Management will equip you with the tools necessary to analyse the major influences affecting the international hospitality business environment, as well as a deep-rooted understanding of the issues currently shaping the management of international hospitality corporations.
The real-world assessments within this course will give you hands-on experience of planning and manage your own live projects, professional work within the industry and live client consultancy. The course has been designed through close consultation with industry partners, to ensure you gain the latest practical and professional skills necessary to succeed in this sector.
Guest lectures and industry visits will enable you to develop a strong grasp of business culture, network and immerse yourself in these industries. The international nature of tourism and hospitality will be a key focus of your studies; this is reflected through our well-established global links.
You have the opportunity to undertake a 36-48 week internship as part of your study.
Features and benefits of the course
This course offers graduates from any discipline the chance to gain access to management level careers in the dynamic tourism and hospitality industries.
- The opportunity to plan and implement your own ‘live project.’
- Work with a local tourism or hospitality industry employer to develop your professional event skills
- An external array of field trips and activity/visits and guest lectures from industry tourism and hospitality practitioners’ as part of the curriculum design
- Throughout your studies, you will engage in a range of individual and group work and consultancy projects working with an array of tourism and hospitality industry partners and clients.
- A ‘professional industry package’ with a year’s membership of an international trade association and magazine to develop your industry outlook.
- Volunteering is a great way for you to gain experience and make contacts. We have a vast range of volunteering opportunities to help you develop your CV and enhance your professional outlook and support is available to find them.
The MSc International Tourism and Hospitality Management course is underpinned by relevant management theory and contemporary research, with the aim to advance your critical thinking and writing skills. Importantly, the course has been designed in consultation with a number of industry practitioners from a wide variety of international tourism and hospitality organisations. Overall, the emphasis has been given in offering you many opportunities to develop advanced academic knowledge and skills, as well as to develop strong employability skills and relevant professional experience.
The course is comprised of a combination of taught units, live experiential activities and client-based consultancy projects. In addition, the programme includes several opportunities to network with industry through domestic and international visits and guest lectures
While you study with us, you will also have the opportunity to attend relevant conferences and conventions that we organise or host at Manchester Met. This will provide you excellent opportunities to develop your knowledge and your international network in tourism and hospitality.
Your studies will have an international focus to reflect the global nature of tourism and hospitality.
It is intended that core business topics you will study will include:
- Masters Level Learning
- Finance for Managers
- Tourism and Hospitality Futures
- International Tourism Destinations
- Tourism and Hospitality Marketing
- International Strategic Management
- Hospitality Business Analysis
- Extended Research Proposal / Dissertation
In addition, you will also choose one from a list including:
- Tour Operators and Airlines
- Food Innovation
- Work-based Learning
This course is available to graduates holding at least a 2:2 UK Honours degree (or international equivalent) from any subject. Candidates with industry-relevant management experience may be considered.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 28, 2018