Welcome Message from the Director
The Interdepartmental MSc in International Shipping, Finance, and Management (ISFM) comprises a unique combination of the three knowledge areas in its title, which are essential for those employed or are interested to find work in the International Shipping industry. This is achieved through a modern, well-structured program, which combines the reading of the international literature, laboratory classes, case studies, workshops, teaching, visits to companies and an academic dissertation aimed at enhancing research skills. The academic members of staff involved in the program are producing highly pioneering research in their respective fields of study. Business executives are also invited as keynote speakers in the program. All the above are disseminated in the curricula of the course units to make up a distinct educational program.
The University is a highly acclaimed State institution both at National and International levels, which offers officially recognized postgraduate programs. It offers excellent study and research facilities, providing access to a complete library of books, online and hardcopy volumes of scientific and business journals, newspapers and magazines, databases and specialized software in its laboratories. This enables fast and efficient access to relevant information and data for students, which is vital in pursuing high standards of research and study. The School of Business Administration and the School of Economics are involved in the MSc program through their relevant Departments of Accounting and Finance and Management Science & Technology and of the International & European Economic Studies, respectively.
The Professors of the MSc in ISFM are Ph.D. holders. They have solid educational backgrounds, significant professional work experience, influential scientific publications and presentations in international conferences. Their work has gained international recognition, have received teaching prizes by Greek and non-Greek universities, and are members of important international associations and committees.
The Location of the MSc program, at the heart of one of the most important International Maritime Centers of the World, is deemed extremely important for the networking and the employment opportunities it offers to its participants. More than 700 shipping companies are established here in Attica (around the port of Piraeus and in Athens and its suburbs), owning and managing a fleet of ships with the world’s highest tonnage capacity. Clients of these companies are also established here to serve them, including more than 1,000 shipbroking firms, financial institutions, international auditing and accounting firms, insurance companies, classification societies and shipping lawyers, amongst others. This enables direct access to market resources, such as industry scholarships which are offered to MSc students, student placements with companies in Greece and abroad, guest speakers from the industry, visits to companies and to the port of Piraeus and COSCO and significant networking opportunities.
All the above constitute a distinguished learning environment, providing students of the MSc with top quality relevant theoretical and practical knowledge, thus allowing graduates of the MSc in ISFM to be highly competitive in the job market and obtain immediate work placement following graduation.
In other words the MSc in International Shipping, Finance and Management is a significant investment in the professional careers of its graduates.
The Director of the MSc ISFM, Prof. Manolis G. Kavussanos
The MSc program aims to
offer postgraduate education and training to graduate students and executives that wish to work or are currently employed in the sectors of Shipping, Finance and Management, and aim to advance to the highest levels of the international market via an English-speaking graduate training program, which is highly acclaimed - ranked 5th in the World by eduniversal 2018 Masters ranking.
It is addressed to graduates with officially recognized undergraduate degrees in areas such as Economics, Finance, Management, Law, Science, Engineering.
The postgraduate program leads to the award of a Master’s of Science (MSc) degree and offers:
- A 12-months full-time program, designed to meet the needs of graduates, with lectures taking place mainly during the morning or in the afternoon.
- A 24-months part-time program, designed to meet the needs of business executives, where lectures are conducted in the evenings.
The Program is designed for
Highly intelligent applicants with good undergraduate studies and talent, who are ready to work hard and have the ambition to reach top positions on the executive ladder.
The MSc program offers:
- Postgraduate study in an International Maritime Centre, in Greece – with the highest ownership (in tonnage) in the World and hundreds of companies located here
- The opportunity to study at AUEB, a top School for Economics and Business in Greece and Internationally recognized for its quality of education, research and training
- An MSc program qualification officially recognized by the Greek State
- An academic program taught by world class professors - all with PhD’s, constantly reviewed to fit the needs of the industry
- Placements of students with companies at the end of the taught part of the program
- Visits to relevant companies and organizations
- Executive guest speakers from the industry and Workshops
- Access to major databases, newspapers, periodicals and academic journals related to shipping, finance and management
- Scholarships available to suitable applicants
- Academic excellence prizes, awarded to students at the end of the full and part time programs
The program operates in accordance with the MSc Program Regulation (approved by the 16th Senate Session of 5/7/2018) and Law 4485/2017.
Admissions Criteria – Application Process
Criteria and selection procedure
Applications are submitted electronically through: https://e-graduate.applications.aueb.gr/
1. register and login to the link above
2. find in the list of available Postgraduate Programs, the ‘MSc in International Shipping, Finance and Management’
3. select ‘full-time’ or ‘part-time’ program
4. complete all required fields in the application form
Notice: you should complete the online application and click "Submit". You will not have to upload any documents.
If any personal data is not applicable (for example VAT, which is not applicable for foreign students), please type “- “.
Within a period of three (3) days, applicants have to send by post or submit in person to the Secretariat’s office (see contact details below) the signed printed form of the electronic application along with the required supporting documents.
Secretariat, MSc in International Shipping, Finance and Management, AUEB’s Centre for Postgraduate Studies, Room 913, 9th floor,
47A Evelpidon and 33 Lefkados St, 11362, Athens, Greece.
Monday to Friday: 11:30 – 19:00 Tel. +30 210-8203696, Fax: +30 210-8203667, Email: MSc.ISFM@aueb.gr, url:http://msc-isfm.aueb.gr/en-US
Documents that must be submitted with the application:
- The signed printed application.
- Copies of all University Degrees / Diplomas (Recognition by the Hellenic National Academic Recognition Information Centre (DOATAP) is required)
- Official Transcripts of marks received (with certified translation in English in case the transcripts are not in Greek)
- CV in English
- Certified copy of the English language certification verifying very good command of the language (level C1, as determined by a TOEIC , IELTS or TOEFL score)
- Two recent passport size photographs
- Personal statement of approximately 500 words, in English
- Two confidential recommendation letters (for FT program academic references, for PT program from Employers)
- Proof of employment record, if any – required for part time applicants
Terms of study
Class attendance in course units is compulsory. Students who are absent for more than 1/3 of the contact hours in a course unit will fail it and must attend it the next time it is offered. Course units are assessed with written and/or oral examinations and/or assignments. For a course unit to be examined through an oral examination and/or assignment only, it requires approval by the Special Interdepartmental Committee. The final mark of each course unit is determined by its instructor and typically includes individual and/or team assignments. Students that fail in more than two-course units per semester are considered to have failed overall and are required to leave the Program.
The submission deadline for MSc theses is October 31 of the academic year following the initial registration for full-time students, and June 15 of the second academic year following the initial registration for part-time students.
A number of scholarships available to suitable applicants, sponsored by shipping and other companies and organizations, foundations and banks
Academic Excellence Awards
Academic excellence awards are granted to students that excel in the program at the end of the academic year.
Governance of the MSc in ISFM
The Master’s program has been established following approval by all relevant committees and bodies of the University and by the Hellenic Ministry of Education, having satisfied all relevant requirements of a scientific Master’s program. Subsequently, it follows the postgraduate and other governance rules of the University. Decisions regarding academic, student and organizational matters are taken by the Interdepartmental Committee of the Master’s program, which meets at regular intervals during the academic year. It comprises seven (7) members; four (4) from the Department of Accounting and Finance, including the Director of the MSc program, two (2) from the Department of Management Science and Technology and one (1) from the Department of International and European Economic Studies. The day to day running of the program is overseen by its Director aided by the Masters’ secretariat.
Program taught in: