Globalisation, the growth of multinational enterprises, the convergence of international accounting practices and the expansion of the European Union all contribute to the importance of an international focus in accounting and finance education.
The increasing influence of international financial reporting standards and the shortage in some countries of international accounting expertise have led to significant demand for relevant education. In the EU the speed and significance of recent reforms have also led to a demand for Master’s level education which reflects these developments and facilitates transition.
Logo ACCA 2014The global accounting body ACCA recognises the MSc International Accounting and Finance giving graduates of the course automatic exemption from four of their papers, F1-F4 with a fifth and sixth, F7 and F9, possible based on the spring semester options that are chosen.
Top Reasons To Study With Us
- The global accounting body ACCA recognises the MSc International Accounting and Finance, giving graduates of the course exemption from up to six of their papers. In addition, the course provides an ideal base for progression to PhD level study.
- Students undertake the free Amplify Trading week long masterclass giving practical experience of financial markets.
- The course is led by Professor David McMillan, an internationally respected expert in modelling and forecasting of asset returns as well as identifying the links between stock markets and the macro economy. He has published more than 100 papers in peer-reviewed journals including the Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, the International Journal of Forecasting and the Journal of Business Finance.
- The course attracts a high proportion of students from overseas, presenting invaluable opportunities to establish a global network of contacts at the outset of a career in International Accounting and Finance.
- In the most recent Research Assessment Exercise, the School was placed in the UK’s top 25 institutions for Business and Management, out of 101 business schools. In Scotland, the School was ranked in the top five.
Globalisation, the growth of multinational enterprises, the convergence of international accounting practices and the expansion of the European Union all contribute to the importance of an international focus in accounting and finance education. The increasing influence of international financial reporting standards and the shortage in some countries of international accounting expertise have led to significant demand for relevant education. The ACCA Accredited MSc International Accounting & Finance from the University of Stirling Management School reflects these developments and provides a solid foundation for a career in accounting or finance.
The course attracts students from every continent presenting a valuable opportunity to establish a worldwide network of contacts that last beyond the time spent studying on our beautiful campus. In 2014/15 the ACCA recognised MSc in International Accounting and Finance was the most popular Master’s degree at Stirling.
What makes us different?
A minimum of a second class Honours degree or equivalent. Applicants without these formal qualifications but with significant appropriate/relevant work/life experience are encouraged to apply.
INTO University of Stirling offers a Graduate Diploma for those students who do not meet the required criteria for this course. If you successfully complete the Graduate Diploma in Business, Finance and Sport and meet the required progression grades, you will be guaranteed entry onto this Master's degree.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language you must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of your English language skills:
- IELTS: 6.0 with 5.5 minimum in each skill
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade C
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE): Grade C
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): 54 with 51 in each component
- IBT TOEFL: 80 with no subtest less than 17
If you don’t meet the required score you may be able to register for one of our pre-sessional English courses. To register you must hold a conditional offer for your course and have an IELTS score 0.5 or 1.0 below the required standard.
Scholarships & funding
Stirling Management School Postgraduate Scholarships
Stirling Management School is committed to investing in academically talented students, enabling them to further their education with a reputable qualification from one of the many postgraduate degree courses on offer at the University of Stirling. There are various categories of funding available to support the cost of your studies at Stirling Management School.
Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan
This course is currently approved for PTFL (Postgraduate Tuition Fee Loan) funding from SAAS.
Structure and content
The Master’s course is a one-year, full-time course with an initial taught component of two, 15-week semesters, involving lectures, practical case study work and workshops, with a supervised dissertation in the final period.
As soon as you arrive at Stirling you are introduced to your course, fellow students and the University by taking part in the Stirling Management School Flying Start Leadership Programme. This induction enables you to develop skills to get the most out of your studies and to progress quickly in your career.
Delivery and assessment
Successful completion of the taught modules leads to the award of a Postgraduate Diploma. The Master’s degree is awarded on satisfactory completion of a dissertation following the Diploma examinations. Dissertation topics range over all areas of relevance to accounting and finance and allow completion of a case study or research topic dissertation.
Where are our graduates now?
Stirling Management School is unique in having a dedicated Employability Manager and from the very beginning of the course your career is our focus.
Since the introduction of the course in 2007, our graduates have gone on to build their careers in a variety of sectors around the world in countries such as Malaysia, China, UK, Ethiopia, Italy, Oman, Kazakhstan and Taiwan. In doing so, they are contributing to the performance of organisations including investment banks, universities, car manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies.
Some of the roles that our alumni currently hold include:
- Head of Internal Audit, University of Putra (Malaysia)
- Accountant, Beijing Benz Automotive Co. Ltd (China)
- Multi-Functional Financial Analyst, Lockheed Martin (UK)
- PhD Students in Universities around the world
- Relationship/Business Development Manager, BGL Plc. (Nigeria)
This school offers programs in:
Cost & Fees
- Overseas £14,600
- Home/EU £7,750
From 2016/7 onwards, the fees for all taught postgraduate courses are to be held at the level set upon entry.
Please note there is an additional charge for the conferral of your degree. This will be charged at the rate applicable when you complete your studies.
Last updated September 28, 2017