MSc in Innovation Management
Application period 1 November 2018 - 31 January 2019. Follow http://www.uef.fi/web/mdp-innovation-management to keep up to date.
Intake: 15 students
MAKE IT DIFFERENT
Thinking outside the box is critical for organisational competitiveness and survival. This has created a need for a new type of business professional with an understanding of how innovation, change and renewal are initiated and achieved in organisations.
The Master’s Degree Programme in Innovation Management provides students with expertise in initiating and leading change in enterprises and other organisations. Students will learn how to manage projects and processes around product and service design, human resources, strategy and in sales, marketing and customer care.
Students learn to identify opportunities for renewal, to apply the right methods and tools for innovation and change and to implement challenging development projects within specific areas of business. Students will also improve their communication and co-operation competence as well as information-seeking, analytical and problem-solving skills. They will acquire the confidence to take initiative, make decisions and carry things through in a responsible manner. They will also learn to assess the outcomes of innovation and change initiatives.
WHAT IS MDP IN INNOVATION MANAGEMENT MADE OF?
The two-year Innovation Management studies is designed to give students the skills to initiate and lead innovation and renewal in companies, start-ups, family businesses, and large organizations. Through hands-on projects, close collaboration with companies, and working with case studies, the students learn to combine analytical and creative thinking in leading innovation. Our highly qualified faculty utilize the latest research and pedagogical knowledge in creating an interactive and supportive learning environment. With a personalized learning plan, each student builds a personal competence portfolio for pursuing a management or a specialist career in business. The Curriculum also provides skills to operate in an academic field.
Major in Innovation Management programme is concerned with the renewal of business and organisations. The key issue is the creation of new modes of action, processes, products and services – innovations. Innovations determine the competitiveness of a company, hence the need for innovators in working life. The secret of success for every enterprise and individual is the ability for renewal.
Innovation Management will teach you to identify opportunities for renewal, to apply the right methods and tools for renewal work and to accomplish challenging renewal and development projects. Being innovative entails both the ability to question prevailing practices and to create new ones. You will learn to lead, plan and implement development and renewal projects connected to organizing, strategy, personnel resources, sales and customer care.
WHO CAN APPLY, AND HOW?
At least a 3-year Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university or a recognised university of applied sciences/polytechnic. A minimum of 60 ECTS in business studies is required. Language, communication and research method studies are not included in the above-mentioned studies. However, one course in economics and one course in logistics may be included in the above-mentioned studies. The degree must be completed by the end of the application period.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
For students from EU / ETA region, MDPTMM does not charge tuition fees. For the best applicants outside European Union / ETA area, we have an attractive scholarship scheme available. For good applicants, it is possible to receive 80 % or 100 % scholarships.
As a specialist in innovation management, the graduate will have a wide range of career prospects depending on one's own particular interest. Graduates will find opportunities in various types of organisations: from small enterprises to the business units of multinational companies and public-sector organisations.
Graduates will have excellent prospects for placements as business experts, change consultants, managers and entrepreneurs. Students specialising in innovation management typically begin their careers as team leaders, project leaders, experts and consultants, moving on to line manager and managerial positions. Many of our graduates start their own businesses or take a position in family enterprises.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The two-year programme will equip you to act as an innovator or change agent in enterprises and other organisations. You will learn to identify opportunities for renewal, to apply the right methods and tools for innovation and change and to implement challenging development projects within specific areas of business. Like many of the world's top universities, we combine competence in management, marketing, entrepreneurship and international business to achieve a comprehensive view of business activities.
As your studies progress, you will improve your communication and co-operation competence and your information-seeking, analytical and problem-solving skills. You will acquire the confidence to take initiative, make decisions and carry through tasks in a responsible manner. You will learn to assess the outcomes of innovation and change initiatives. You will also develop additional expertise by choosing your minor subject from among several interesting alternatives.
Tuition fees and scholarships - non-EU/EEA students
1 December 2018 – 13 January 2019.
The tuition fee is 8 000 € per academic year.
What does the tuition fee include?
The tuition fee includes the studies included in the degree (120 ECTS) and studies-related counselling and supervision.
- Assistance in applying for student housing
- An orientation programme
- An appointed student tutor
- Access to IT services
- Wireless Internet access on campus, computer classrooms available 24/7
- Free use of the Library
- Finnish Language courses
How to apply for a scholarship?
The scholarship is applied for when applying for admission to the university by filling out the relevant section of the application form. The decision about the scholarship is made in connection with student admission, and the student is notified of the matter in the letter of acceptance.
The scholarship is awarded on the basis of the student's academic achievements described in the admission criteria. The scholarship is personal and it is awarded for two academic years.
See the criteria at http://www.uef.fi/en/web/mdp-innovation-management/admission-requirements
The scholarship exempts the student from the tuition fee either in full (100%) or partially (80%). In this programme, scholarships are available to 50% of students who are accepted to the programme and required to pay tuition. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance to the university and possible scholarship by 31 March 2019 at the latest. Students who are awarded a scholarship are required to sign and return a scholarship payment form to the programme coordinator before the payment of the scholarship can begin.
Payment of the tuition fee
The tuition fee is paid in two instalments. The first instalment is paid by 31 July 2019 and the second instalment by 30 November 2019.
Another mandatory fee
All degree students of the university are members of the Student Union. The Student Union membership fee is 126 € per academic year.
The Student Union membership fee entitles the student to, for example:
- free basic health care
- reduced lunch prices at student cafeterias
- discounts on local buses and long-distance transportation
- discounts on many public services and free-time activities.
Further information is available on the website of the Student Union.
If you have any questions about tuition fees or scholarships, please don't hesitate to contact: ville-veikko.piispanen(at)uef.fi
Eligibility for Master's Degree Programme in Innovation Management
Applicants with the following degrees are eligible for the studies:
- At least a 3-year Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university or a recognised university of applied sciences/polytechnic. A minimum of 60 ECTS in business studies is required. Language, communication and research method studies are not included in the above-mentioned studies. However, one course in economics and one course in logistics may be included in the above-mentioned studies. The degree must be completed by the end of the application period.
Applicants with a Finnish or foreign higher university degree in business administration [Master of Science (Economics and Business Administration)] are not eligible.
Proficiency in English
The applicants are to prove their language skills in English as follows:
English language test:
- TOEFL paper-based: Total score 600 and Writing 4.0
- TOEFL Internet-based: Total Score 100 and Writing 22
- IELTS (Academic): Overall Score 6.5 and Writing 5.5
- PTE (Pearson Test of English), min. 59 points
Or, if the applicant fulfils at least one of the following requirements, a separate language test is not required but the applicant is to prove his/her English proficiency with the applicable degree certificate and the transcript of his/her academic record:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree conducted in English language in a Nordic country (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
- Bachelor's or Master's degree conducted in English language in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States
- Bachelor's or Master's degree conducted in English language in an EU/EEA country
- Secondary education conducted in English language in a Nordic country (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
- Secondary education conducted in English language in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States
- Secondary education conducted in English language in an EU/EEA country
- Secondary education conducted in a Nordic country (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden)
- English as the A1 language as part of an International Baccalaureate examination (minimum grade 2)
Letter of Motivation
The letter of motivation is to contain the following:
- Max. 1000 words
- Introduction of the applicant (degrees and studies, current professional activity, special academic and professional interests)
- Reasons for applying to the programme
- Financing plan for the studies
- Career plans after graduation
- Preliminary proposal for the Master's thesis topic (max. 200 words)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 27, 2018