The M.Sc. in Information Security degree is awarded to candidates who successfully complete the taught courses and thesis requirements of the program. The program is targeted for students with diverse backgrounds, including graduates in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Communication Engineering, Information Technology, Mathematics, or other pertinent specializations. The program follows a “width before depth” approach, starting with common core courses that cover essential Information Security topics.
Subsequently, elective courses cover extra topics to deepen the student’s knowledge in specialized areas not covered in the core. Students are encouraged to choose their area of specialization around one of three main themes: Cryptology, Digital Forensics, and E-Business Security. The thesis is usually undertaken on research topics identified by the supervisors. Alternatively, where applicable, students may propose thesis topics of their own or work on solving problems of their sponsoring organizations.
The educational goals (objectives) of the M.Sc. in Information Security program are to produce graduates who:
- Advance professionally and are recognized as leaders in their chosen fields.
- Apply their technical expertise to address the needs of society in a critical, creative, ethical, and innovative manner.
- Further development of their knowledge and skills through graduate education and professional schools.
Student learning outcomes
A student graduating with the M.Sc. in Information Security program will be able to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve advanced information security problems through the application of advanced knowledge of information security.
- Acquire knowledge of contemporary issues and demonstrate an advanced level of understanding in the field of information security.
- Design and conduct experiments, as well as analyze, interpret data and make decisions.
- Conduct research in a chosen area of specialization, document and defend the research results.
- Use techniques and modern tools necessary for information security practice.
- Function on teams and communicate effectively.
- Understand professional and ethical responsibilities.
Overall structure and requirements
The M.Sc. in Information Security is equivalent to 36 credit hours. The program consists of two main components:
Taught Courses Component: in this component, the student is required to complete a program of advanced study in information security. This component is equivalent to 24 credit hours and consists of 8 courses, with 3 credit hours each and the Seminar in Research Methods course which has a zero credit rating. The 8 courses (24 credit hours) are 4 core courses (12 credit hours), 2 theme courses (6 credit hours) and 2 optional courses (6 credit hours) selected from a list of electives.
Thesis Component: in this component, the student is required to carry out an independent project in information security. This component is equivalent to 12 credit hours.
Summary of M.Sc. in ISEC Degree Program Structure and Requirements
|Seminar in Research Methods||0|
|ISEC Master’s Thesis||12|
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 out of 4.0, or equivalent (e.g. upper second-class honors in a UK-style degree, from a reputable accredited institution).
- A minimum level of English proficiency in the form of either:
- iBT TOEFL (internet-based test) score of 91 or equivalent, or
- Overall academic IELTS score of 6.5, or
- 1550 EmSAT English score.
- A minimum quantitative score of 150 in the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required for admission to all programs, with the exception of Master of Engineering in Health, Safety and Environment Engineering and the Master of Arts in International and Civil Security, where a minimum threshold is not set. Applicants for all programs should attempt all three sections of the GRE.
- A minimum of two referee recommendations (provided via online form).
- Statement of purpose (500-1,000 words).
- Admission interview.
About the School
The internationally top-ranked Khalifa University is the one university in the UAE with the research and academic programs that address the entire range of strategic, scientific and industrial challen ... Read More