In this era of market globalization, information technology has emerged as a fundamental factor in the success of business operations. The role of information technology is particularly important for service industries such as finance, insurance, real estates, transport logistics and hospitality in which efficiency provides a definite competitive edge. To improve our service industries and secure Hong Kong’s position as a leading digital city, business managers must be equipped with knowledge of most up-to-date information technology (IT) and business management, and must be able to apply that knowledge to plan and deploy information systems that enhance productivity, competitiveness and performance of their organizations. The Master of Science Program in Information and Technology Management (MSc in ITM) is specially designed to meet this need.
The Program is aimed at individuals with a technical or engineering background who would like to gain the requisite knowledge in technology management, and at business graduates who wish to acquire cutting-edge IT proficiency. The Program also offers a good foundation for students who prepare to pursue further studies in Ph.D.
The Master of Science Program in Information and Technology Management aims to equip students with the latest knowledge and advanced technical and managerial skills in information technology and management required to pursue successful careers in the new global, knowledge-based economy.
This taught Master Program is designed for those with either engineering or business backgrounds. The Full-time mode is particularly suitable for individuals from mainland China and other countries, while the Part-time mode suits working professionals.
Medium of Instruction
In-class lectures and teaching materials are mainly in English, with the exception that some courses with unique nature are preferred to be taught in Chinese.
Duration of Study
The Program is offered in both Full-time and Part-time modes. Each academic year is divided into regular trimesters (13 weeks each) and an intensive summer term.
For Full-time mode, required courses are scheduled in the daytime while elective courses are offered during weekday evenings and/or Saturdays. For Part-time mode, classes are held on weekday evenings and/or Saturdays.
Some elective courses are taught intensively over a two-to-three-week period or in Summer Term.
Afternoon and Saturday classes are held at the University's Shatin campus, whereas the weekday evening classes are usually held in the teaching centers in Kowloon Tong or Central, subject to classroom availability.
The admission requirements for applicants applied for both Full-time and Part-time modes are same as below:
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor’s degree, normally with honors not lower than Second Class; OR
- graduated from an honors program of a recognized university with a Bachelor’s degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than “B” in undergraduate courses; OR
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honors degree.
English Language Proficiency Requirement by University
- possess a passing grade in English in one of the following examinations: Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (AS Level), Hong Kong Higher Level Examination, CUHK Matriculation Examination; OR
- achieve Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; OR
- have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country; OR
- have obtained a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country; OR
- submit one of the following scores for assessment:
- TOEFL (Paper-based) 550
- TOEFL (Computer-based) 213
- TOEFL (Internet-based) 79
- GMAT (Verbal) 21
- IETLS (Academic) 6.5
GMAT Requirement by Program (GMAT taken in or after January 2012)
- Applicants may register for the test online at www.mba.com. For more information about GMAT, please contact GMAT Customer Service at (1-609) 771-7330 / Test Center in Hong Kong (852) 2167-8568.
- GRE is accepted in lieu of GMAT.
- Part-time applicants with seven years' work experience, including five years in a managerial position, can apply for GMAT exemption. The application is subject to approval.The applicantt shall submit GMAT Score Report (School Copy) to fulfill the GMAT requirement if exemption application is unsuccessful.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 14, 2018