The Master of Science in Global Marketing Management (MScGMM) is a joint award taught postgraduate programme offered by the Department of Marketing, Hong Kong Baptist University in Hong Kong and the Management School of the University of Sheffield in the United Kingdom on a one-year full-time study basis.
The programme is designed for relatively recent graduates in any discipline with interest in working in the marketing function for multinational organizations. It will also benefit those in general and line management, who seek a thorough education in the theories and practice of global marketing management. Applicants from all countries will be considered.
The thoughtfully designed curriculum embraces a global view with case studies embedded in courses and the dissertation addressing the principles and practices of international marketing management. More importantly, by having students spend the first semester in the UK and the second semester in Hong Kong, the programme utilizes the synergies of having two partnering institutions located in different regions of the world – bringing global exposure to students.
By spending the first semester in the UK and the second semester in Hong Kong, students can experience firsthand the east and the west in one single year through global exposure.
World Class Learning Experience
A unique international cooperative opportunity for students to experience high-quality learning and that utilizes the strengths of two research-led universities, which offer internationally recognized business and management programmes.
MScGMM is a single master degree issued jointly by Hong Kong Baptist and the University and the University of Sheffield.
Opportunity to Work in Hong Kong
Graduates of the programme can apply to stay and work in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation, no matter they have been secured an offer of employment or not.
Professional Association Accreditation
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is the leading professional body for marketers worldwide and exists to develop the marketing profession, maintain professional standards and improve the skills of marketing practitioners. This accreditation is very beneficial for graduates of this programme. Students registering on the programme automatically become Affiliate Post-Graduate Members of the CIM. On successful completion, students will be qualified for full membership of the Institute. Following further development, graduates from our MSc in Global Marketing Management will also be qualified for Chartered Marketer after three years' work experience and an additional 35 hours of personal development.
The Programme aims to:
- Equip students with the knowledge and skills needed to commence an international career associated with marketing management.
- Develop students’ understanding of marketing theories and practices associated with global organizations in order to enable them to identify and critically evaluate the strategies adopted in meeting the challenges created by changing social, political and economic environments.
- Develop students’ understanding of the impact of contextual forces acting on businesses in the marketing discipline.
- Develop students’ understanding of and ability to conduct rigorous international related market research through independent study, leading to the submission of a dissertation.
- Provide students with a unique international opportunity to experience high-quality learning delivered by two research-led universities In Hong Kong and the United Kingdom
The programme has 27 units (135 credits) of core taught courses. The dissertation counts for 9 units (45 credits). Requirements of the programme are as follows
Semester 1 (Starts in September) The University of Sheffield (15 units)
- MGT6073 Global Marketing 3 units
- MGT6145 Marketing Management 3 units
- MGT6180 Contemporary Marketing Practices 3 units
- MGT6181 Marketing Communications 3 units
- MGT6182 International Consumer Behaviour 3 units
Semester 2 (Starts in the following January) Hong Kong Baptist University (12 units)
- MKT7250 International Services Marketing Management 3 units
- MKT7260 Strategic Marketing 3 units
- MKT7270 International Marketing Research 3 units
- MKT7280 Socially Responsible Marketing in an International Context 3 units
Summer (May to early-September) Hong Kong Baptist University/ The University of Sheffield – 9 units
- MKT7290 Project Dissertation (equivalent to MGT7689 Project Dissertation of the University of Sheffield)
Total Units 36 units
One year full time taught postgraduate programme, semester 1 in the United Kingdom and semester 2 in Hong Kong.
Medium of Instruction
English is the official medium of instruction.
The Master of Science in Global Marketing Management degree will be granted to students who have completed and passed all the 9 required core courses and the dissertation with a total of 36 units having met the requirements of both HKBU (including a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5) and the University of Sheffield in their respective semesters
Applicants would need a bachelor degree in any discipline with good grade average (a second-class honors degree, upper division or an approved professional qualification) from a recognized university or comparable institution. Applicants do not need prior marketing or management experience.
English Language Requirements
If you are a national (or university graduates) of a majority native English speaking country, you do not need to complete a specific English language qualification.
For non-English native applicants, you need to meet the English requirement as stipulated below:
- An overall band score of 6.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam, with not less than 6 in each component test
- Applicants may opt to take TOEFL if they are unable to sit for the IELTS. If you take TOEFL, please note that the internet-based test (iBT) is the only TOEFL qualification that we accept.
- Comparison of English language test scores (IELTS, TOEFL iBT etc)
- Other acceptable English language qualifications
How to apply → click here
Exempted Course at Non-local Courses Registry, Education Bureau (Reference number: 452359/452445). It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognize any qualification to which this course may lead.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 22, 2018