The Master's program in Financial Management is a new program, established in September 2018 (Υ.Α. 5584/ ΦΕΚ 3841/τ. Β’ /6-9-2018) and is entirely taught in English, mainly aiming to attract international students or Greek students who are interested in attending a Master's program in English. The program flaunts this way an international profile, in line with the latest global economic and business developments, thus reinforcing AUEB and its graduates’ skills for competing in the international market place. The program’s curriculum is up to date and in line with the latest scientific developments, designed to offer high-quality specialized scientific knowledge in the field of Financial Management, focusing on current international trends in the area.
The Program’s Mission
The program’s mission is the advancement of knowledge and scientific research in the field of Financial Management. Especially when considering the unstable national and international economic conditions, as well as the high complexity of financial markets, specified knowledge in this field is now more than ever essential for climbing the executive ladder in any given industry. This mission is accomplished through a contemporary and well-designed curriculum that utilizes a variety of teaching methods apart from the study of international scientific literature, such as laboratory classes, case studies, and individual or team assignments.
Flexible structure and state of the art curriculum
The Program offers:
- A full-time course of 12-month duration
- A part-time course of 24-month duration
The Master’s Program in Accounting and Finance is equal to seventy-five (75) ECTS credits (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) and includes twelve (12) courses, worth five (5) ECTS credits each, as well as the MSc thesis, worth fifteen (15) ECTS credits.
For part-time students, eight (8) courses are offered in the first year of studies and four (4) or five (5) in the second, and classes are held during evening hours. More detailed information regarding student obligations, class attendance, grading system and payment of tuition fees are included in the Program’s Academic Regulations (Υ.Α. 5651/ ΦΕΚ 3998/ Τεύχος Β’/ 17.09.2018).
Admission criteria and application process
The evaluation and acceptance of applicants are based on the following criteria:
- Bachelor Degree (GPA) from a recognized university (non-Greek degrees must be recognized by the National Academic Recognition Information Center).
- Two reference letters.
- Very good command of the English language, as indicated by a TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS score or CAE/CPE.
- Grades received in postgraduate courses in accounting and/or finance.
- Evaluation of the undergraduate thesis if there is one.
- Work experience obtained upon completion of the undergraduate studies (only for part-time applicants).
- Personal interview by the Admissions Committee.
The Evaluation Committee ranks all applicants according to the above quantitative and qualitative criteria.
How to apply
The program has a rolling admissions procedure, which commences in January, with multiple deadlines every year. Places available are limited, so prospective students are advised to submit their applications early. Applications are submitted online.
- A printed version of the application form submitted online.
- Certified Copy of all University Degrees/Diplomas (Recognition by the Hellenic National Academic Recognition Information Center is required. For further information regarding the recognition procedure, please contact the program’s admissions’ office).
- Official transcripts of grades received (with certified translation in English or in Greek where applicable).
- A CV in English.
- Two academic recommendation letters. Part-time applicants only may also submit professional recommendation letters as well as academic ones.
- Proof of knowledge of the English language (at least C1 level), as determined by a TOEFL, TOEIC or IELTS score, or the Cambridge or Michigan Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) or the Certificate of Advanced English (CAE). Native speakers, as well as candidates having conducted their undergraduate studies in English, are exempt from the above-mentioned prerequisite.
- One recent passport size photograph.
All required documents can be submitted in person or posted to our address.
Why Study at AUEB’s MSc in Financial Management
Attracting top-quality applicants from all over the world
The Master's program in Financial Management offers an intense study program and aims to attract highly motivated intelligent applicants, with good undergraduate studies, very good command of the English language, talent, and good prospects, who are ready to work hard and have the ambition to reach top positions on the executive ladder. The Program is addressed to students that have recently graduated and seek to continue their studies at postgraduate level (full-time course), as well as to business executives holding a bachelor degree who wish to upgrade their knowledge in the fields of Accounting and Finance (part-time course).
Attractive value for money tuition fees
The program’s tuition fees come up to 6.200€ for the full-time course and 6.400€ for the part-time course. The tuition fees are paid in several installments. Upon the decision of the Departmental staff meeting, and taking into consideration the then current social and economic conditions, the program may grant individual scholarships. Moreover, students of Greek origin may be exempt from the tuition fees according to Law. 4485/2017, article No.35.
Modern facilities and infrastructure
All AUEB’s postgraduate lectures take place in Postgraduate Studies Building. Lectures also take place in the nearby building as well as at a new, fully renovated building of AUEB.
The Laboratory of Accounting Applications
The Laboratory of Accounting Applications develops academic thinking and research in the areas of Accounting and Accounting Information Systems. Modern software is available, such as Modern Accounting 2000, EVal, EViews, WinRats, Limdep, Gauss, and Stata, and access provided to several databases such as DataStream Advance, Compustat, ICAP Data, Perfect Analysis, International Accounting Standards, and the Stock Exchange Database from the Athens Stock Exchange. Furthermore, the Accounting Laboratory has developed a series of integrated information systems which support accounting processes for a number of private and public institutions.
The Laboratory for Applied Finance
The aim of the Laboratory is to develop advanced – theoretical and applied – research in finance and to employ this research not only in teaching but also in the process of problem-solving for companies and organizations in the modern economic environment. The Laboratory offers twenty-four (24) work stations and is equipped with specialized computer software and databases, such as Eviews, SPSS, WinRATS, Matlab, OxMetrics, Limdep, Stata SE, Pertrac Analytical Platform, Perfect Analysis, and DataStream Advance, Thomson1, Bloomberg, Clarkson, Compustat, DealScan. Several educational seminars on the usage of databases and software are organized in the laboratory’s premises.
The Laboratory for Business Analysis and Valuation
The Laboratory serves teaching and research needs of the Department in the scientific fields of “Business Analysis and Valuation”, “Fraud Examination”, “Auditing”, and “Tax Accounting”.
The Laboratory of Behavioral Finance
The Behavioral Finance Laboratory (BeFin Lab) has been founded in order to support the research and teaching needs of the Department of Accounting & Finance at AUEB, with a focus on issues related to Behavioral Finance. More specifically, the research focus of the Lab will be on issues such as Prospect Theory & Rationality, Investor Psychology, Heuristics, Investor Sentiment, Herd Behavior, Investor Overreaction, Investor Underreaction, Contrarian and Momentum Strategies, Monetary Policy and Economic Expectations. Furthermore, the Lab aims to encourage scientific collaboration with international research centers and academic institutions, to organize scientific lectures, seminars, symposia, and conferences, like the 2018 National FEBS Conference, as well as to invite guest speakers for open lectures, and encourage its members to publish high quality research papers that contribute to the scientific literature in the field of behavioral finance. The Lab is also able to provide services related to research projects.
The Interdepartmental Laboratory for International Shipping, Finance, and Management (in association with the Departments of Management Science and Technology, and International and European Economic Studies)
The Laboratory for International Shipping, Finance, and Management of the Athens University of Economics and Business (ISFM Lab) is dedicated to performing theoretical and applied research in the key areas of shipping, finance, and management. The mission of the ISFM LAB is to:
- Conduct forefront research on topics related to: Shipping markets (freight, newbuilding, sale and purchase, demolition, bunker, energy and other markets); Maritime and Port Economics; Shipping Freight Derivatives and Risk Management; Investments and Financial Management; Alternative Sources of Ship Financing; Shipbuilding Finance; Debt Financing; Public and Private Equity markets; Structured Finance; Maritime investment appraisal and budgeting; Financial analysis and modelling of Shipping Investments; Corporate Governance and other topics related to Finance and Management in Shipping and other sectors of the economy;
- Enhance collaboration with other Research Centers and Academic Institutions worldwide, within a frame of solidarity and mutual trust, with similar or complementary scientific objectives;
- Collaborate with various public and private organizations, to address potential challenges in related fields;
- Develop educational, research-based and other similar activities in accordance with the general principles and Research Code of the University;
- Organize and host conferences, seminars, talks, etc., like the 27th Annual Conference of the International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME) 2019, and publicize the scientific results produced.
- Undertake projects and consultancy work related to shipping, finance or management.
Effective networking with the industry
The University enjoys excellent relations with industry, offering customized programs to an increasing number of Greek or international companies, cooperating with leading organizations in research, and receiving grants for research, consulting and executive training. These relations offer a strong competitive advantage to our students while they study, but also after they graduate, and help them meet the demands of the local and international labor market. The program’s students and graduates are assisted and guided by AUEB’s Career Office, in decisions related to their future employment and career path. Within the framework of services provided, the Career Office has developed and is constantly expanding a broad network of dynamic partnerships with large organizations and corporations in Greece and abroad, is posting job announcements, organizes events and workshops, and offers consultancy in career-related areas. The Office has been hosting, ever since 1993, the “Career Days” event, during which all AUEB’s undergraduate and postgraduate students and alumni have the chance to meet in person and interact with potential employers from a variety of different business sectors.
Living in Athens!
Athens, the capital and largest city of Greece, with a growing population of 4 million people, has always been the crossroad between Europe, Asia, and Africa. The unique historical character of the city, shaped across the millennia by the interaction with a wealth of cultures and civilizations is evident throughout the city’s monuments and everyday life. Athens is one of the most interesting and exciting cities of the world, successfully combining yesterday’s history with tomorrow’s aspirations for a unique environment for any student or visitor alike. Living in Athens will give you the best student memories. As an AUEB student, you are sure to have a most productive, rewarding and enjoyable time!
The Athens Experience
Athens is one of the world’s oldest cities, since its recorded history spans around 6,000 years, offering exquisite sightseeing and cultural opportunities. Due to its history, Athens ranks highly among the richest cities of archaeological interest in the world, boasting prehistoric, ancient, Roman, Byzantine and Islamic monuments. Walking through the various ancient monuments in the center of the city is nothing short of an unforgettable experience, especially, since the creation of a unified ‘archaeological park’ of public spaces, parks, and facilities for culture and recreation, linking all the significant cultural landmarks of Athens. Athens, also, offers the opportunity to visit some of the most fascinating museums in the world: the new Acropolis Museum, the National Archaeological Museum, the Benaki Museum, the Byzantine Museum, the Museum of Cycladic Art, the Numismatic Museum etc. Pay a visit to the Panathenaic Stadium where the first modern Olympic Games were held in 1896 and to the new Olympic Stadium Complex (OAKA), a whole area remodeled by the famous architect Santiago Calatrava, the site of the 2004 Olympic Games. Athens has a vibrant culture and nightlife, offering an exciting choice of events, happenings and exhibitions, unique shopping experiences, and a nightlife that lasts well into the morning hours. In the summer the southern suburbs of Athens are full of beach bars, clubs, restaurants, and cafes by the sea, while in the winter, there are several skiing areas like Kalavryta and Parnassos nearby. Also, Athens can serve as a springboard for ideal weekend destinations: numerous easily accessible clusters of islands in the Saronic Gulf or the Cyclades or the most charming nearby mountainous regions of continental Greece. Just visit one of the many websites on Athens, to find out more. An exciting cosmopolitan and modern city, Athens is a top destination for thousands of people from every corner of the world. Join AUEB and live the experience!
Program taught in: