Why this course?
This course is suitable for those intending to develop their careers in finance.
If you’re already working in finance, the course will enhance your effectiveness in your current role. We’ll explore the latest developments in the field and encourage you to question traditional rules and techniques and take an analytical approach to practical problems.
The programme will provide you with:
- a good understanding of financial theory and analysis
- an appreciation of the nature and functioning of financial markets and institutions
- a good working knowledge of accounting information and its use in financial decision-making and analysis
- the ability to apply the analysis developed in the course
The curriculum provides you with a good balance between accounting and finance theory and practical skills and knowledge.
You'll study core classes, which include Principles of Finance and Accounting & Financial Analysis. You'll also choose elective classes from topics including Security Analysis and Management Accounting.
Dissertation or three research projects (MSc only)
Supported by an academic supervisor, you’ll either work on a series of research projects or a dissertation. Topics can be chosen from the broad range of issues covered on the programme.
You’ll be assessed on your ability to select and apply relevant theory and research methods. This work may be linked to an issue raised by, or a problem to be solved for, an employer.
Strathclyde’s award-winning Business School is one of the largest institutions of its kind in Europe. We have around 200 academic staff and more than 3,000 full-time students.
The departments and specialist units work together to provide a dynamic, fully-rounded and varied programme of specialist and cross-disciplinary postgraduate courses.
Our MSc programme is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA). Exemptions will be awarded from CIMA’s professional examinations, according to the route taken through the MSc.
The course counts as credits towards the Chartered Banker qualification offered by the Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland.
The MSc Finance has been accepted into the CFA Institute University Recognition Program. This status is granted to institutions whose degree program(s) incorporate at least 70% of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK), which provide students with a solid grounding in the CBOK and positions them well to sit for the CFA exams.
- an Honours degree, or equivalent, in accounting, economics, business studies or a subject area with a strong quantitative bias. The programme requires no prior knowledge of finance
- for students whose first language is not English, get more information about the English language requirements for studying at Strathclyde
- you must also be able to attend the introductory sessions in mid-September 2017
Pre-Masters preparation course
The Pre-Masters Programme is a preparation course for international students (non-EU/UK) who do not meet the entry requirements for a Masters degree at University of Strathclyde. The Pre-Masters programme provides progression to a number of degree options.
To find out more about the courses and opportunities on offer visit isc.strath.ac.uk or call today on +44 (0) 1273 339333 and discuss your education future. You can also complete the online application form. To ask a question please fill in the inquiry form and talk to one of our multi-lingual Student Enrolment Advisers today.
This course is suitable for those intending to develop their careers in finance, broadly defined as:
- corporate finance
- security analysis
- portfolio management
- options and futures
- treasury management
- the functioning of financial institutions and markets
- financial decision-making in the public sector
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 18, 2018