Combine a technical and specialist skillset for the competitive edge needed to succeed in the international financial world
- For students holding a Bachelor’s Degree minimum in any field.
- MSc in approved by the Conférence des Grandes Ecoles.
- 18 months including a 6-month internship.
- Taught in French & English.
- Delivered in Lyon-Ecully & Paris with 2 learning trips abroad.
18 months to gain technical and financial skills
- Develop fundamental sets of skill: The first term will bring you both knowledge and skills required in your future professional environment whatever specialization and the job you are targeting in the end, from investment banking & corporate finance to quantitative finance & data analytics. Courses are offered in English or French depending on your choice. Interactions between the real economy and digital transformations are an important focus.
- 4 specializations to develop your expertise: After the first semester, you will go deeper into the specifics of your future professional environment: Investment banking & corporate finance (strategy, valuation, M&A, etc.), Market finance (equity & debt capital market, asset management, etc.), Innovation finance (business modelling, growth financing, etc.), Quantitative Finance & data analytics (stochastic calculus,risk management, etc.).
- Get an international dimension: The MSc in Finance environment will be international, through professors profiles, courses and contents, fellow students and two international learning trips. For the first one, you will choose between Casablanca or Shanghai, thanks to emlyon business school’s campuses there. The second learning trip is linked to your choice of specialization, as the program agenda will be different.
The program and pedagogy are driven by recruiters expectations that lead you to master major skills:
- Strategic analysis skills: beyond models, technical skills, tools, technologies and hard work you will need to master, you need to understand the big picture and be able to interact with different teams and activities.
- Financial engineering & modelization know-how (including disruptions in legal tech and complex environments).
- Develop added value in valuation and analysis to face complexity and transformations.
- Soft skills to work on the project, in teams and globally with multicultural differences in order to avoid silos that are enemy and limitations to organizations efficiency and agility.
The courses are taught by professors from emlyon business school and from another top higher education establishments as well as by professionals from the world of finance. What all these trainers have in common is their high technical level as demonstrated by their numerous publications in international reviews or their senior positions in the corporate world. The MSc in Finance benefits from research and expertise by:
- CEFRA - Centre for Financial Risk Analysis, dirigé par Olivier Le Courtois
- Research Centre for Entrepreneurial Finance (ReCEntFin), dirigé par Alexander Groh
Careers services track
As a student of the MSc in Finance, you will benefit from a dedicated career track which includes workshops, expert panels, fairs, events, company visits, etc.
The Careers Services Department provides continual support in identifying career goals and developing action plans. Program-specific careers services include:
- Workshops: Careers workshops help you prepare for your internship search and future career. Self-assessment tools and individual coaching provide you with the opportunity to prepare your next move.
- Tools: Our wide range of career tools help you find out more information on partner companies and sector-specific resources, including databases with internship and job offers.
- Events: Over 200 companies visit emlyon business school campuses each year and provide students with continuous access to the business community.
Each year we recruit several students from emlyon business school. They fit with our identity and our technical needs. - Guillaume Floquet, Chief People Officer
Graduate employment results*
- 90% employment rate within 6 months after the end of the program with + 50% before graduation.
- Gross salary: 73 726 US$ (Masters in Finance - Financial Times 2018 ranking).
- Job location: mostly France with 57% in Paris IDF, 21% international, 22% other regions.
*Survey carried out in 2018. Concerns class of 2017.
Get to know how to choose the job you want
Of courses, job profiles and positions depend on your background and specialization choice. Major firms in finance in France or abroad recruiting our graduates include:
- Banks: BNP- Paribas, Calyon, Société Générale, Natixis, Crédit Mutuel, UBS, Crédit Suisse, HSBC, Barclays, Dresdner Bank, City Bank, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, CIBC, Tokyo Mitsubishi Bank. ABN Amro UK, Bank of America Securities, BNP Paribas, Calyon, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank, Dresdner Kleinwort, Fortis Banque, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, ING Barings, ING Real Estate, JP Morgan, etc.
- Insurance companies: Axa, Allianz, Generali, Général Ré, Münich Ré, Swiss Ré, Scor, etc.
- Investments funds: 3i Gestion, Activa Capital, AGF Private Equity, Axa Private Equity, Barclays Capital SA, BNP Paribas Développement, Butler Capital Partners, Capital Invest, Carvest, Crédit Agricole Private Equity, Initiative & Finance, MBO Partenaires, Naxicap Partners, Ofi Private Equity, Siparex, etc.
- Financial institutions: Arkeon Finance, Asian Mezzanine, Infrastructure Fund, Atis Real Auguste Thouard, Avenir Finance, Axa SA, Caisse des Dépôts et Consignation, Coface, CIT Structured Finance, GE Corporate Finance Bank, Swicorp, General Electric Commercial Finance Sers, etc.
- Consulting firms: Deloitte, EY, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, KPMG
- Financial computing companies: Murex, Cazenove, Close Brothers, Aforge Finance, Boston Consulting Group, Capgemini Consulting, Deloitte Finance, Ernst & Young Corporate Finance, Grant Thornton Corporate Finance, Kpmg Corporate Finance, Mazars Corporate Finance, Oddo & Cie, PwC Corporate Finance, Secafi Alpha, Societex, etc.
To apply to the MSc in Finance, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Holding a validated Master 1 or Bachelor's Degree equivalent (Bac+4 equivalent to 240 European credits ECTS).
- By way of derogation, students holding a Licence 3 diploma or an equivalent (180 European credits ECTS) with an excellent profile may be accepted.
This program welcomes graduates from engineering schools, management schools, and universities. Depending on your profile, you may need to acquire first some fundamentals by e-learning. It is important that you have a clear comprehension of the finance sector and activities to be able to develop and implement your professional project over the 18-month program.
For students interested in the Quantitative Finance & Data Analytics specialization, a strong background or ability to acquire techniques in a few weeks in mathematics, computer science, physics and/or scientific courses such as econometrics, economic forecasting will be necessary.
Selection sessions run from November to July.
Current selection session is closing on April 1, 2019.
Should your application be complete, you will receive the admission board's final decision within 15 working days. Please send back your enrolment form within 10 working days after your admission results.
At emlyon business school, we take an applicant's entire potential into account. Elements like your motivation to pursue the MSc in Finance, your background and career aspirations weigh just as heavily in our selection procedure.
You can apply through your personal space (program dashboard). You need to provide the following information:
- A résumé,
- Two recommendation letters,
- A copy of an official valid identity card or passport,
- A certified copy of your most recent academic degree translated into English or French,
- Official management aptitude test score: GMAT, GRE, TAGE MAGE, CAT (optional),
- English proficiency test (optional).
The program will offer a choice of courses in French or English for the first semester. Most specializations are delivered in English during the second semester. Therefore, English full proficiency is required for you to be admitted, follow courses and efficiently interact with the other members of the cohort. For the admission process, your English level will be evaluated taking into consideration 3 different fundamentals:
- Examination of all written and redactional elements within the application file.
- Your video interview.
- Potential face to face or Skype interview, if the Admission Board requires it.
While filling out your application, you will be asked to record a video of yourself using an online platform. Your video will be submitted to the jury directly.
The video complements your online application and aims to increase understanding of what your motivations and career objectives are, and discover more about your personality, interests, and experience.
Applications fees for the 2019 intake: €120
Pricing is for the 2019 intake. All indicated fees include tuition, enrolment fees and lifelong membership of emlyon business school forever alumni network.
Extension of studies beyond the official length of the program is subject to payment of €500 administration fees per year.