The MSc Finance programme is research-oriented, with emphasis on providing you with the tools to solve the practical financial problems that will create value for companies and enable societies to evolve.
You will gain wide theoretical knowledge in both corporate finance and asset pricing as well as the quantitative skills that will allow you to conduct research and analyse real-world problems. The study of financial economics and banking will allow you to excel in both the finance and economics fields. Contemporary topics are integrated throughout the programme in order to better understand human behaviour in financial markets.
Throughout the programme, traditional academic modules alternate with research seminars, discussions with academic staff and visiting researchers, and meetings with representatives from the financial markets. This ensures an integrated and concrete learning environment with strong connections to the real world.
The programme is a perfect fit for individuals looking to enhance theoretical knowledge, quantitative and analytical skills and improve career opportunities in finance. It makes use of cutting-edge textbooks and the latest research and materials published in the field.
Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education.
International Business School Suzhou (IBSS) is one of an elite group of institutions worldwide to be accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System）in 2016 and 2018 respectively.
AACSB accreditation is a globally recognised standard for the highest quality in business education. Only five per cent of business schools worldwide have been awarded the accreditation.
The EQUIS accreditation is a quality certification system for business schools set up by the EFMD (European Foundation for Management Development). It has become the most global authoritative and select business school certification body in the world with its comprehensive and rigorous review process. IBSS becomes the youngest business school in the world to have received both EQUIS and AACSB accreditation. There are only less than 100 business schools that have received both AACSB and EQUIS accreditation. This is an important milestone in becoming a world class business school and highlights the strength and significant influence of IBSS at the international level.
Why Should I Study Finance at XJLTU?
- You will have the opportunity to apply for teaching and research assistantships within International Business School Suzhou and across the University during your studies
- You will listen to and meet high-profile people from the management world as well as attend networking events with local employers and events organised by recruiting organisations on campus
- Graduates of this programme, as with all XJTLU masters degrees, earn a University of Liverpool degree that is recognised by the Chinese Ministry of Education
Knowledge and skills
The MSc Finance programme will equip you with:
- comprehensive knowledge of contemporary financial and economic theories and their application to the challenges that organisations face today
- the research skills and quantitative analysis techniques required to evaluate and interpret complex data and research literature in the fields of finance and financial management
- academic knowledge and skills, as well as ‘softer’ business skills that employers value, such as emotional intelligence, creative thinking and high-impact communication
- Advanced corporate finance
- Advanced investments
- Advanced derivatives
- Financial economics (optional)
- Accounting and Financial Management (optional)
- Money and banking
- Time series analysis
- Alternative investments and strategies (optional)
- Macroeconomic theory (optional)
- Finance dissertation
Additional learning activities
The completion of additional learning activities is required to complete your masters degree. Normally, required ALA hours will be distributed evenly across each semester, amounting to 200 hours per semester. Part-time programmes will normally require 100 to 150 hours per semester.
The MSc Finance programme is designed to support career entry and development in finance-related roles within world financial markets, multinational corporations, investment banks, asset management companies, banks, non-financial companies, government agencies and consultancies, as well as in other financial institutions. It also prepares students for doctoral studies and an academic career.
Upper second class (2:1) honours
- 211 Project; Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai Ranking--75 percent or above
- Non 211 project; Non Top 100 of 2018 Shanghai ranking – 80- 85% percent or above, depending on your Undergraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update
Chinese applicants are not required to take the MoE postgraduate entrance exam.
3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Equivalent academic qualifications
An undergraduate degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent) in finance, accounting, economics, management, science or engineering.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your native language or if you have not studied in English at degree level, you will need to provide evidence of your English proficiency. You should normally possess one of the following qualifications:
- IELTS: 6.5 (minimum of 5.5 in all sections)
- TOEFL iBT: 90 (minimum of 21 in any skill)
In exceptional circumstances, individual cases will be considered on their own merits. You may be required to attend interviews or tests to further demonstrate your English proficiency.
If you miss the English language requirements by 0.5-1.0 of an IELTS band, or a similar number for other English language exams, you can be admitted to the programme after successful completion of our five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
You can also apply to take the XJTLU English language test in lieu of an IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent. Based on the score, students may be admitted or may be required to take and successfully complete the five- or eight-week intensive English presessional course.
Additionally, students may be required to complete English language courses on a pass/fail basis as part of the additional learning activity requirement during their studies at XJTLU.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 21, 2018