Master of Science in Finance (FinTech and Financial Analytics)
With the rise of disruptive technologies and the new generation of Big Data and FinTech, concepts of money, payments, identity, and security need to be looked at through a new lens -- how can finance professionals respond early and effectively to ride the wave, and take advantage of the new opportunities before it’s too late?
Through lectures, workshops, round-table discussions, case studies and expert sharing from industry practitioners, this inter-disciplinary programme taught by both Finance and Management Information Systems faculty, will widen and deepen your understanding of the rapidly changing landscape and the impact of new technologies on traditional finance models. You will be empowered with knowledge in Finance, FinTech, Financial Analytics, Machine Learning, Financial Computing, Textual Analysis, Cybersecurity, Privacy, Blockchain, Cryptocurrency, Algorithmic Trading, Financial Fraud, and Regulatory Compliance. Get well-prepared for the fast-growing demand of today’s data-driven economy, and develop new insights and perspectives towards emerging technologies and harness them to take the Financial Industry to the next level.
Who Should Enrol?
The Department of Finance and Decision Sciences is committed to nurturing more FinTech talent in Hong Kong
Looking for Change
Candidates who seek to adapt their traditional financial business to the new-age digital economy and prepare for the challenges coming out of the new data-driven economy.
Candidates who seek to deepen their knowledge in the disruptive innovations and transformative forces in the finance ecosystem.
Entering the New Era
Candidates who seek to enter the FinTech or Financial Analytics Industry.
How does the programme help?
- Students are encouraged to participate in internships during their studies and we will assist with providing internship opportunities.
- The programme is interdisciplinary. Courses are taught by both Finance and Management Information Systems faculty, and industry practitioners with finance, business, and computer science backgrounds.
- Some courses are co-delivered by our faculty alongside industry practitioners to equip students with both theoretical and practical knowledge.
- Our advisory committee will not only provide advice on programme design but when possible, share their valuable first-hand experience with the students.
- Students who have a postgraduate degree in Finance or related disciplines could have up to 50% of credit transferred towards the finance-related curriculum; subject to departmental approval. Students with credit transfers will be offered a discount on the programme fee, proportional to the courses exempted.
The Programme aims at empowering students with knowledge in Finance, FinTech and Financial Analytics, helping them develop the ability to solve finance-related business problems, and nurturing them to better prepare for the fast-growing demand in today’s data-driven economy.
Students are required to complete eight core courses and two elective courses for graduation. In addition, students are encouraged to participate in internships during their studies, and the program will assist in providing internship opportunities.
Total Required Units of Core Courses - 24 Units
- FIN 7780 Financial Technology (FinTech) (3 units)
- FIN 7790 Machine Learning for Financial Data (3 units)
- FIN 7800 Corporate Finance (3 units)
- FIN 7810 Investment Management (3 units)
- FIN 7830 Financial Computing with Python and R (3 units)
- FIN 7860 International Financial Management (3 units)
- FIN 7870 Financial Derivatives and Risk Management (3 units)
- FIN 7900 Cybersecurity, Privacy and RegTech for Finance (3 units)
Total Required Units of Elective Courses - 6 Units
- FIN 7820 Applied Financial Econometrics (3 units)
- FIN 7840 Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (3 units)
- FIN 7850 Algorithmic and High-Frequency Trading (3 units)
- FIN 7880 Textual Analysis in Finance and Accounting (3 units)
- FIN 7890 Compliance in Finance (3 units)
- FIN 7910 Independent Studies Integrative Project (3 units)
International Postgraduate Scholarships
To enhance internationalization and provide students with global educational experience, the International Postgraduate Scholarship is offered to outstanding international students. Scholarship recipients will get full tuition waiver plus HK$100,000 living allowance (approx. US$12,820). Eligible international applicants will be automatically considered for the scholarship based on their all-around record and interview performance. For details, please click here.
Diversity Contribution Scholarships
We believe that diversity inspires new thinking, fosters greater understanding and enriches the learning experience. The Diversity Contribution Scholarship is attributed to new entrants who can enhance the diversity of the programme. Applicants are assessed on a broad range of criteria, including international exposure, cultural experiences, overseas education, work experience, special achievement and talents. The scholarship amount ranges from half tuition waiver to a full tuition waiver.
Entrance Scholarship / Young Talent Scholarships
For Full-Time Applicants Only
These Scholarships range from HK$5,000 to HK$50,000 and will be provided to students with outstanding academic backgrounds and public examination results. Applicants who submit completed applications before the deadline of the first round admission will be considered for the scholarships automatically.
Excellence Academic Performance Awards
Student(s) who obtain the highest GPA in the class will be awarded at the time of graduation.
- A Bachelor degree with honours from a recognized university or comparable institution, or a professional qualification deemed to be equivalent.
- A satisfactory score on the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)/Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is encouraged but not mandatory.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- A minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5; or
- TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based)/79 (internet-based); or
- The equivalent score of other tests.
Applicants should possess proof of English proficiency if their first degrees were obtained from non-English-medium institutions:
For part-time mode applicants, preference will be given to applicants who have a minimum of three years of relevant work experience, although this may be relaxed for highly qualified applicants.
It is mandatory for students to possess basic training/experience in Finance, Mathematics or Computer Science before embarking on the program. This requirement can be satisfied by the possession of a prior academic degree with major/minor in one of the required fields, by the completion of a substantial number of courses in these fields or by related previous working experience. Applicants who do not possess these qualifications will be required to satisfactorily complete specific preparatory courses covering areas such as quantitative methods (Mathematics, Statistics), Finance and Economics. The students should gain a “pass” in the required preparatory courses before being officially admitted to the Programme.
Qualified applicants will be required to attend an admission interview as part of the selection process.
Program taught in: