- Duration (years): 1.5 years
- Qualification Awarded: Science and Physical Education (MSc)
- Level of Qualification: 2nd Cycle ( Master Degree)
- Language of Instruction: Greek / English
- Mode of Study: Full-time / Part-time
- Minimum ECTS Credits: 90
Profile of the Programme
- Provide the student with an advanced working knowledge in the physical education, and exercise science;
- Help all students acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and appreciations in organizing and scheduling physical activity for lifespan;
- Create an academic environment conducive to learning new methodologies, techniques and concepts;
- Cultivate analytical skills and critical thinking;
- Promote ethical conduct of practice and research;
- Provide specialized knowledge and extensive expertise in the areas of study.
The specific objectives of this program are to prepare the graduates in order to be able to:
- Become physical education teachers and physical education specialists;
- Conduct and disseminate educational research;
- Provide leadership in sports pedagogy;
- Understand health and wellness programming based on the ability to assess need, and to design, implement, and evaluate a program;
- Assess health status, conduct fitness testing, and prescribe and administer exercise programs for individual and group programs across the lifespan;
- Develop programs that are goal-oriented and meet the needs of broad populations;
- Succeed in an ever growing, demanding and highly competitive professional world in sports, physical activity, and health promotion;
- Develop critical thinking skills that will enable success in graduate school and beyond;
- Carry out research on advanced topics in exercise science, and health.
Graduating students from the Master’s program can be employed in the following sectors:
- Primary/Secondary physical education teaching;
- Instructing (e.g. academies, schools, colleges, universities, after-school programs);
- Recreation centres;
- Rehabilitation centres (working on exercise training programs);
- Sports teams;
- Consulting individuals or teams (professional and amateur) with regards to advanced peak performance and improving physical fitness;
- Coordinating, administrating and/or organizing programs in the public/private sector with regards to the:
- Advancement of health and physical activity.
- Lifelong exercise and health lifestyle.
- Organizing and/or managing:
- Group/Personal programs in gyms.
- Athletic establishments.
- Health, recreation and fitness centres.
- Continuing research in physical education and health promotion.
Access to Further Studies
After completion of the MSc program and broaden their academic skills students can pursue doctoral studies.
Course assessment usually comprises of a comprehensive final exam and continuous assessment. Continuous assessment can include amongst others, mid terms, projects, and class participation.
Letter grades are calculated based on the weight of the final exam and the continuous assessment and the actual numerical marks obtained in these two assessment components. Based on the course grades the student’s semester grade point average (GPA) and cumulative point average (CPA) are calculated.
A total of 10 courses for each of the two concentrations (a. Exercise Science, Fitness & Health; b. Physical Education and Sports Pedagogy) will be offered to support the program from which students will take 7 (4 compulsory and 3 electives; 70 ECTS) from one concentration. Additionally, students may conduct a Thesis Research (i.e., Masters' Thesis) (20 ECTS). For students who will desire to obtain a non-Thesis Master two additional elective courses are necessary. Specifically, the program includes 90 ECTS and normally will be completed in 18 months.It is possible to complete the program in 12 months if the summer term (June-September) is utilized.
Upon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Apply fundamental knowledge of physical education, exercise science, and health promotion;
- Identify environments that promote and encourage life-long learning and professional/ service-related collaborations;
- Critically evaluate forms of information related to exercise science, health, and/or physical education;
- Develop physical conditioning programs based on scientific principles designed to develop physical fitness and improve athletic performance;
- Identify and describe psychological, biological, and behavioural factors that can influence health-related adaptations to exercise;
- Monitor individual and group performance in order to design safe exercise programs and deliver exercise instruction that meets learner developmental needs in the physical, cognitive, and social/emotional domains;
- Use managerial routines that create smoothly functioning learning experiences;
- Apply disciplinary and pedagogical knowledge in developing and implementing learning environments and experiences;
- Select and implement appropriate (i.e., comprehensive, accurate, useful, and safe) teaching resources and curriculum materials.
Scholarships - Financial Aid
The University offers scholarships and financial aid to full-time students, in the form of academic merit scholarships, financial-aid assistance, athletic scholarships, and on-campus work-study programmes.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 9, 2018