- More than 40 years of experience in environmental education and research
- A multidisciplinary and integrated approach to deal with environmental issues
- Raising the professional careers of its graduates to a higher level, through continuous mutual cooperation and networking
Since 1988, the Center Environmental Science & Technology of UGent offers the Master of Science in Environmental Sanitation. As of the academic year 2020-2021, the program has been reformed and innovated and will be offered under a new name "MSc in Environmental Science and Technology (ENSCITEC)".
The general objectives and learning outcomes of this reformed and innovated study program remain unchanged. The 'MSc in Environmental Science and Technology' still focuses on the education of environmental specialists with ample knowledge of (1) the concepts and issues associated with environmental pollution, (2) the detection and quantification of environmental contamination, (3) the possible impact of environmental pollutants on ecosystems and biota, together with the current techniques for risk assessment, and (4) the available technologies for the prevention and remediation of environmental pollution (soil-water-air-waste) and the way they are designed and applied in practice.
Semester 1 & 2 (Sept-June): comprehensive basis (60 ECTS)
- Environmental sustainability and policy
- Environmental diagnostics
- Environmental technology
- Applied ecology
- Environmental research skills
Semester 3 & 4 (Sept-June): specialization (60 ECTS)
Majors (24 ECTS)
- Environmental assessment and management of chemicals
- Resource recovery technology
- Environmental health and technology for developing economies
- Urban environmental management
- Environmental health and technology for marine systems
Elective courses (6 ECTS)
- Course(s) from other major
- Ghent University elective courses in English
- Master dissertation (30 ECTS)
Academic Year 2020-2021
Pending approval by the Executive Board of Ghent University.
- Bachelor in de bio-ingenieurswetenschappen; Bachelor in de ingenieurswetenschappen; Bachelor in de biochemie en de biotechnologie; Bachelor in de biologie; Bachelor in de biomedische wetenschappen; Bachelor in de biowetenschappen; Bachelor in de chemie; Bachelor in de farmaceutische wetenschappen; Bachelor in de fysica en de sterrenkunde; Bachelor in de fysica; Bachelor in de geologie; Een diploma van een opleiding 'Bachelor in de industriële wetenschappen'; Bachelor in de bio-industriële wetenschappen.
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Food Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Molecular Biotechnology
Admission Procedure for Students holding a Non-Belgian Diploma
- Information on admission requirements and the administrative procedure for admission on the basis of a diploma obtained abroad.
- The program is open to holders of an academic Bachelor degree (minimum 3 years or 180 ECTS credits) in the field of engineering or sciences (physics, chemistry, biology, ecology, geology, biochemistry, biotechnology, microbiology, earth science, environmental science) or an equivalent level from a recognized university or engineering college.
- Sufficient academic knowledge is required in:
- Mathematics + physics + statistics = 20 ECTS
- Chemistry = 10 ECTS
- (1 ECTS corresponds to 30 hours of study time, which includes at least 10 hours of effective teaching time, i.e. contact with course instructors)
- Language requirements for this study program differ from the required standard level for English-taught study programs as specified in the Ghent University Education and Examination Code.
- Dutch: no language requirements
- English: Nationals of Australia, Botswana, Canada, Eritrea, Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, India, Ireland, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, UK, USA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, need to send proof of at least one year - 60 ECTS (finished successfully) - of comprehensive English-based instruction at a Higher Education Institution (mode of instruction).
- Candidates from any other nationality need to present test results of one of the following tests (validity of 5 years; TOEFL/IELTS predictive tests and TOEIC will not be accepted):
- TOEFL IBT 86
- TOEFL PBT 570
- ACADEMIC IELTS 6,5 overall score with a min. of 6 for writing
- CEFR B2
We urge you to complete the academic admission procedure as described on the enrollment pages. Do respect the deadlines for academic admission. Files received beyond the deadline will not be taken into consideration whatsoever. For all questions in relation to this procedure, please contact email@example.com.
- Tuition fee
- Living & accommodation expenses: min € 850/month
- Some scholarship schemes take charge of particular costs
Contact & Info
Questions concerning your application: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions during your study: email@example.com
- MSc in Environmental Science and Technology
- Campus Coupure, UGent
- Coupure links 653, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
About the School
The Faculty of Bioscience Engineering within Ghent University is a European research leader in the field of applied biological and life sciences or bioengineering. We educate generations of scientists ... Read More