If you are interested in questions such as “how can environmental problems be assessed”, “how do companies and public authorities work to prevent and solve environmental problems” and “how can different types of actors influence and control in order to drive positive change”, then this Master’s programme will appeal to you. The International Master’s Programme in Environmental Management and Policy (EMP) is designed to enable graduates to drive change by developing their ability to evaluate, design and implement management and policy responses to complex environmental challenges. Key features of the EMP programme include its interdisciplinary, international and applied nature.
The dual focus on environmental policy and environmental management is another central feature of the programme. This is based on our conviction that decision makers within both environmental policy and environmental management benefit vastly from having this mutual understanding. Increasingly we find that many alumni, regardless of their employer, work in the intersection of public policy and corporate management to move the environmental agenda further.
Special features of the programme:
From a fundamentally practical standpoint, in that change starts in the reality of today, our students are challenged to develop professional skills, knowledge and networks in close collaboration with the surrounding society.
Special features include a multidisciplinary and multicultural classroom, both with respect to the faculty teaching and the students admitted to the programme. This is combined with class size and an approach to student learning that allow for a high level of in-class interaction. Designed to build on the knowledge that students have acquired during the first cycle education, the EMP programme also explicitly includes learning activities that encourage the peer to peer sharing of experience and perspectives, thus allowing students to capitalise on their diverse collective experience.
The programme also offers multiple opportunities to collaborate and/or learn from a range of practitioners from both business and government, study visits and projects with outside clients.
Courses within the programme can be divided into five blocks:
- Courses providing knowledge and skills that are fundamental to all sustainability professionals.
- Courses related to Corporate Environmental Management.
- Courses related to Environmental policy at the Urban, National and International level.
- Elective courses that allow students to choose between going deeper into environmental policy or environmental management.
- Capstone courses that allow for both further specialisation and for the integration and application of all prior learning in the programme.
- Semester 1: Environmental Science and the Anthropocene, Conceptualisations of Sustainability, Fundamentals of Technical Systems, Fundamentals of Economics and Economic Evaluation of Environmental Change, Introduction to Business Management and Corporate Responsibility, Introduction to Policy and Law.
- Semester 2: Analytical Methods for Systemic Assessment of Products and Services. Lifecycle Assessment (LCA), Environmental Law and Policy in Practice, Elective course: Environmental Management and Strategy in Practice – Business Consulting, Elective course: Environmental Management and Policy in Practice – Internship.
- Semester 3: Environmental Policy Analysis, Sustainability Solutions in Context –Project Course, Elective courses in Applied Research, Research Design & Methodology for Interdisciplinary Applied Research.
- Semester 4: Thesis Project.
For further details, please see: www.iiiee.lu.se
The IIIEE MSc programme opens the door to a wide range of international environment-focused careers. Our 900+ alumni have taken positions in industry, consultancy, government, EU bodies, NGOs, academia and international organisations such as the UN, the World Bank and the OECD –essentially integrating into all relevant spheres for the advancement of the environmental agenda. Search for IIIEE at www.linkedin.com to see what positions our graduates hold at present, and how they have moved forward in their careers.
Read more about the programme: www.lunduniversity.lu.se/environmental-management-policy
Why Lund University?
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is one of northern Europe’s oldest, broadest and finest universities. The University ranks among the world's top 100 universities in the QS World University Rankings 2019 and is the #1 choice for international students coming to Sweden – one of the world's most innovative, sustainable and democratic countries.
If you would like to start building your international network in a global classroom setting, Lund University is a great option. Experience a different way of learning in a country ranked as one of the best in the world at providing higher education. Group work and informal teacher-student relationships facilitate in-depth learning.
The University is located in Lund, a charming and compact university city in southern Sweden, only 35 minutes away from Copenhagen Airport in Denmark. The city is famous for its vibrant student life and is also home to many world-leading research facilities and international companies.
Learn more about Lund University at www.lunduniversity.lu.se