Industrial production has an enormous impact on the environment, and society’s awareness of such effects is constantly growing. The course offers an integrated approach towards current and long-term strategic environmental issues, focusing on technologies and concepts in environmental planning and management for the sustainable development of industrial production systems. This programme provides interdisciplinary solutions in a market-based economy through the integrated management of water, wastewater, solid wastes, and air pollutants.
The programme aims to provide students with needed skills to enable an interdisciplinary approach when applying environmental technologies and using environmental management tools, based on the principles of sustainable development and environmental sustainability. The curriculum aims also to deepen knowledge and understanding of the major trends in environmental technologies, environmental protection and sustainable production, linking environmental problems with engineering and economic aspects.
The 2 year (120 ECTS) curriculum comprises the following modules:
General Studies (24 ECTS)
- Environmental Management (24 ECTS)
- Environmental Engineering (36 ECTS)
- Free choice courses (6 ECTS)
- Graduation Thesis (30 ECTS)
Why this speciality?
- Students have the possibility to take part in research projects.
- Some of the topics for thesis have been:
- "Preliminary feasibility study of MSWI fly ash utilization" Hakan Berber
- "Evaluation on Estonia's success in implementing the EU Directives for landfilling" Gero Schumacher
- "Influence of Same Additives on the Thermal Behavior of Ammonium Nitrate" Evelin Edro
- "Biogas Potential of Crude Glycerol and its Suitability for Co-Digestion" Andra Paltser
The curriculum offers knowledge and skills in various fields of environmental technology (air protection, water management, waste handling) that enable graduates of Masters to:
- advise, guide the company in introducing environmentally friendly and sustainable engineering solutions, increasing material, water- and energy efficiency and reducing emissions;
- successfully work as an enterprise environmental councillor, an environmental specialist in local municipalities, water service companies, consultancy firms, public institutions (ministries, environmental boards, inspectorates, research and scientific institutions as well as applying for doctoral studies.
Programme specific requirements
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in engineering fields
industrial, chemical, electrical, mechanical, materials, civil, etc.
For each programme you apply to, an individual motivation letter (statement of purpose) must be inserted.
- Please include the following:
- What and where have you studied, how does your academic background fit to the degree programme you are applying for?
- Why do you think you are the right person for this programme? Previous experience, interest in the special field. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Describe your professional goals. How does the degree programme you are applying for will support your professional profile?
- Why do you apply for the chosen programme? Which of the courses offered in this programme are particularly beneficial in pursuing your professional goals?
- Why do you want to study at the Tallinn Technical University? How do you see your future after graduation?
Grading scale: 0-5
PS! It is important to properly cite any sources (quotations, publications, ideas which are not your own etc.) used in your motivation letter, because to do otherwise would be plagiarism and result in disqualification.
Candidates who obtained 2 points or more for motivation letter will be invited to interview.
- Describe the key issues, problems in the field and your role in solving them.
- What were the main criteria for selecting a speciality?
- What you can give to our study program?
- What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses in acquiring a speciality, e.g. learning ability, language, teamwork, etc.?
- What is your opinion about the need for environmental engineering and management specialist in your home country, anywhere else in the world?
Grading scale: 0-5
Students for TalTech international study programmes are admitted based on the admission threshold. The maximum score for the motivation letter and online interview is 10 points. An applicant who receives the minimum of 5 points is admitted.
Program taught in: