With organisations seeking to employ individuals with the ability to spot and take advantage of new opportunities, entrepreneurial and innovation skills are increasingly sought after. Our MSc prepares you for a wide range of careers in business including business development and running a start-up.
Our MSc is designed to foster entrepreneurial and innovation skills in students, to enable you to have a career managing innovation in existing firms and to find new ventures. You will learn how organisations build value through the application of entrepreneurial practices, the challenges and opportunities typically facing new and existing businesses, and the ability to design and implement creative strategies. The programme places a strong emphasis on the application of your skills and knowledge to real-life situations and organisations.
You will take five core courses in the first term (Sep-Dec) and two in the second term (Jan-May). The core courses in the second term will be project-based courses within existing organisations requiring you to apply your theoretical knowledge to real-life situations. You will also be able to choose two option courses in the second term, to allow you to specialise in an area relevant to your future career path. The dissertation is written over the summer term (Jun-Aug) and is overseen by an academic supervisor.
Our programme will help you to develop business skills that are essential in a wide range of different organisations, as well as preparing you for the possibility of one day starting your own business. Graduates of the programme typically pursue a range of careers, including innovation management, policy and business development roles within the private sector and with government agencies supporting innovation, and founding their own business ventures.
Our programme combines theory with a unique focus on experiential and practical learning through direct engagement with organisations. As part of the two industry driven project-based courses in the second term, you will put your skills and knowledge into practice to address the specific innovation and entrepreneurship challenges faced by real organisations. In addition, guest speakers with entrepreneurial expertise and industry-driven case studies are embedded throughout the programme as a whole.
A deep understanding of entrepreneurship and innovation facilitates the discovery and exploitation of new opportunities within new and existing organisations By taking this programme, students will gain:
- A critical understanding of the theories, processes and behaviours underpinning entrepreneurship and innovation
- Awareness and understanding of how organisations build value through the application of entrepreneurial and innovative practices
- The ability to design creative strategies for pursuing and exploiting new opportunities
- Appreciation of the issues associated with securing and managing financial resources in new and established organisations
- First-hand experience around the opportunities and challenges of starting up a new venture or indeed in pursuing new avenues within an existing organisation
- Knowledge and skills required to be a highly competent entrepreneur who can also lead and support innovation across a range of different sectors and organisational context
Entrance to our MSc programmes is strongly competitive. You can increase your chances of a successful application by exceeding the minimum programme requirements. Academic requirements You will need a UK first-class or 2:1 honours degree in one of the subjects below, or an equivalent overseas qualification. Academic background Degree subject can be in any discipline. Supporting your application
- Relevant work experience is not required but may increase your chances of acceptance.
- Preference will be given to those with grades above the minimum requirements due to strong competition for places on this programme.
Applications from current undergraduates Final year undergraduate students are welcome to apply, so long as your studies will be completed prior to the MSc programme commencement date.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 3, 2018