The energy and environmental finance sector is a very rapidly-developing global industry with actors of all kind and size (multinationals, public institutions, start’ups, etc.) investing huge amount of money (i.e. trillions of USD annually) to meet current and projected energy demand and supply challenged, ensure energy transition technologies development, address evolving competitive markets and regulation changes, etc..
Our MSc will provide with a holistic vision of the energy business and also advance the understanding of finance theory, with a specific focus on the practical aspects of energy-environmental financial markets, encouraging you to develop creative, entrepreneurial and analytical approaches to frame issues in the energy-environment sphere as well as enhance your interpersonal skills.
Our MSc allows in-depth understanding of the economic and financial processes and procedures associated with the energy and environmental markets sector through a solid foundation in energy economics, markets and trading, transportation, renewable energy, electricity and fossil fuels, etc.
Aimed at rapid professional insertion, our MSc also develops the professional and personal knowledge and skills necessary for a career in the energy, financial energy, renewable energy and broader environmental markets.
The energy transition challenge creates a strong demand from graduates and employees have gained the skills required for a changing and increasingly agile and complex energy industry. Our MSc in Energy and Environmental Finance is a 10-month program preparing students to become agents of this revolution in the energy industry and/or participate in energy entrepreneurial ventures. M.B.S. offers students a true multi-cultural and international experience on our campus-based in Montpellier, South of France.
To address the challenges, our MSc provides with a rare opportunity by bridging relevant and non-overly technical aspects of energy management, energy transition economics, environmental finance and commodities, finance and ethics. It benefits from both relevant and applied theoretical and practical contributions, facilitated by both seasoned professionals and internationally recognized top academics.
Business projects throughout the year will pace the academic experience and give students the opportunity to gain valuable work and real-life experience.
Our MSc is opened to all students and do not require prior general or technical knowledge related to Energy or Finance. The goal of the program is to allow students of various background (general management, engineers, economists, social sciences, maths, finance, environmental science and physics, etc.) to pursue a career in the energy and environmental markets sector.
Fintech is taking over the banking and finance industry. The way we handle money is changing and the whole industry is taking note – from international banks to backroom start-upsFintech is taking over the banking and finance industry. The way we handle money is changing and the whole industry is taking note – from international banks to backroom start-upsFintech is taking over the banking and finance industry. The way we handle money is changing and the whole industry is taking note – from international banks to backroom start-ups. To do well in fintech, you need to understand technology, finance and business creation. Fintech is taking over the banking and finance industry. The way we handle money is changing and the whole industry is taking note – from international banks to backroom start-ups. To do well in fintech, you need to understand technology, finance and business creation.
Students will have the chance to participate in different seminars, workshops and meetings, where companies come to our campus to meet their future managers and high-quality interns. Our career center and alumni network are also providing students with a full range of workshops and tools to enhance their career.
- Duration: 10 months
- Intake: once a year in September
- Mode: Full time
- Credits: 90 ECTS
- Language: entirely taught in English
- Location: Montpellier Business School campus
- Tuition fees: 13 900 €
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent
- English test: a minimum score of TOEFL 80/120 or TOEIC 785/990 or IELTS 6/9 or M.B.S. English test B2 (free)
- Relevant professional goals
- You will have to complete the online application form (which can be saved and completed over time)
- Selected applicants will be scheduled for admission interviews via videoconference or at Montpellier Business School
- Copy of passport
- One passport photograph
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Copies of highest diploma obtained
- Copies of transcripts of records from the past three years. Please provide an English translation of your documents if they are written in other languages than French and English
- Proof of English Language Proficiency: minimum score of TOEFL 80/120, IELTS 6/9 or TOEIC 785/990 or Montpellier Business School English test (free) B2. Candidates with previous English studies are exempted.
- Courses and business projects: Academic year from September to June
- MSc Thesis: September to August
- Graduation: December
Fundamentals of management (24 ECTS):
- Advanced Strategic Finance
- Foundations of Risk & Asset Pricing Theory
- Financial Modelling
- Natural Resources & Environmental Economics
- Energy Economics
- Financial Markets, Banking & Regulation
- Soft Skills Development
Specialization in Energy and Environmental Finance (15 ECTS):
- Environmental Finance, Energy Transition: actors, markets and business models
- Energy Emerging Markets, the impact of new trends (CSR, sustainability, ethics, innovation, digital, etc.)
- Commodity Finance, Resource Policies
- Electricity Markets
- Ethics, Responsible Development and Regulation
- Renewable Energies
Business projects (21 ECTS):
- Entrepreneurial Project
MSc Thesis (30 ECTS)
Key Faculty leading the program
Montpellier Business School, a leading research business school in Europe, has been very actively researching in energy finance and energy economics through its Center for Energy and Sustainable Development (‘C.E.S.D.’) and its faculty belonging to the national academic leader, and world-renowned Chair in Energy. The M.B.S. faculty has published hundreds of papers in the top journal in the fields of Energy Finance and Economics (such as The Energy Journal, Energy Economics, Energy Policy, Resources Policy, etc., including some of the most recent impactful contributions in this dynamic field.
M.B.S. is also located in a very entrepreneurial area, with the presence of world-renowned incubators and accelerators that have given birth to recent new actors in the energy industry.
+ Access provided to students to our incubator M.B.S. Entrepreneurship Center, coaching offered to any students willing to engage into an entrepreneurial venture (such as renewable energy, app, etc.)
- Bachelor degree or higher
- English proficiency: IELTS 6/9, B2
Our MSc is one of the few internationally accredited MSc to cover both energy finance and environmental finance, offering a powerful level of specialization in global energy and environmental markets. Our program leads to significant career opportunities, worldwide, as energy and environmental finance graduates are in high demand.
Our graduate will find opportunities for careers in a wide range of public and private sector organizations, commercial and investment banks, energy and environmental exchanges through to national governments and multilateral banks. Entrepreneurial opportunities are also exciting prospects for our graduates. Smaller, newer companies are also thriving to find talented graduates to develop innovative energy technologies/products/services.
Positions in funds, venture capital firms and investment companies are also a possibility since investment decisions are also challenged by the emergence of these new trends.
- Energy Investment analyst, financial analysts, energy traders
- Banking industry (energy and power departments, etc.)
- Careers in Renewable Energies
- Energy specialist/blogger/expert
- Energy consultants
- Business developer
- Careers in research and/or academia (including Ph.D., DBAs opportunities, etc.)
Program taught in: