The MSc in Energy Management is designed to provide you with a holistic, 360-degree view of the energy business, covering all energy markets from oil & gas to renewables & electricity.
It is designed to provide you with the ability to develop and implement strategies to address major issues in energy regulation and policy, and to understand the energy business environment and its fundamental economic and technological concepts.
The programme is supported by specialist faculty industry professionals, as well as our London-based Research Centre for Energy Management (RCEM). Taught at the London and Paris campuses, the programme includes an optional one-week seminar in the United States of America.
At a glance
- Duration: 18 months in total, including 9 months of studies and 9 months of professional development.
- Study Locations: London and Paris (taught fully in English)
- A Holistic Energy Industry Overview: You will cover all energy markets, including Oil, Gas & LNG Markets, as well as Renewable Energy and Electricity, and develop an understanding of how to effectively manage energy transition in the digital era.
- Integrated Work Placement: Minimum of 4 months (Internship / Direct Employment).
- Strong Support from the Energy Industry: You will be exposed to numerous professional networking opportunities via our Research Centre for Energy Management.
- Global Association of Risk Professionals Accreditation: Since 2017, the MSc in Energy Management is accredited by the Global Association of Risk Professionals, as an ERP Academic Partner.
- Start: September 2020
Our programme targets your expertise
This programme is designed for everyone who wants to:
- Develop solid general management skills with a particular focus on energy-related case studies
- Gain in-depth knowledge of energy technologies, industries and markets and how current market changes are affecting energy transition processes
- Develop skills and the strategic mindset to cope with the managerial challenges energy companies and institutions are facing
- Obtain the necessary skills, techniques and practical experience in managing real-life energy projects
A one year, full-time programme
The programme begins in September and is organised as follows:
September to mid-June: 10 months of theory classes, study of expertise, and practical cases.
The courses address both theory and real-life applications. They are taught by ESCP Faculty and successful professionals.
September – London, UK
- Seminar in Business Statistics
- Seminar in Data Analysis
October - December – London, UK
- Principles of Finance
- Corporate & Business Strategy
- Oil and Gas Business
- Renewable Energy
- Electricity Markets
- Sustainability, Geopolitics and Energy
- Energy Trading
- Seminar in Business Consulting
January - March – London, UK
- Operations and Supply Chain Management
- Energy Markets and Other Commodities
- Energy Policy
- Project Financing and Evaluation
- Energy Risk Management
- Energy Trading Challenge
- Seminar in Blockchain Technology
April - mid-June – Paris, France
- Energy Economics
- Gas and LNG Markets
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Digitalisation and Energy Transition
- Company Consultancy Project (8-12 weeks)
- Seminar in Energy Security and International Politics
- Seminar in Research Methods & PYTHON Programming Language
And a choice of one specialisation track
TRACK 1: Finance & Investment
- Portfolio Management
- Asset Management
TRACK 2: Project Management & Consultancy
- Operational Risk & Crisis Management
- Leading and Transforming Energy Companies
Examples of workshops include:
- Clean Energy Management Software
- Industry 4.0
- Project Management
- Big Data
- Agile Managemen
- Power of Artificial Intelligence in Microgrids
Company Consultancy Project
As part of the MSc in Energy Management, during Term 3 you will be completing a Company Consultancy Project that allows you the opportunity to apply in practice the skills & knowledge you have acquired during the first 2 terms. These projects will give you the opportunity to work in teams and get the intercultural work experience, while working on a specific project provided by a company.
In groups of 4-5, students are expected to perform an in-depth analysis and make recommendations for actions that can realistically be implemented by the company.
A professional mission in the form of an in-company internship of at least 4 months.
The programme ends with a minimum 16-week internship to be completed by the end of April 2021. The internship provides participants with the opportunity to be confronted with real business life conditions and develop their practical skills as part of an action learning pedagogy. These important job-seeking skills are developed with the professional support of School specialists in the Careers Office and the Alumni Association.
Writing and defending a professional thesis.
Students are required to complete a Master thesis which, in some cases, may be completed in partnership with a sponsor organisation.
The thesis is an individual project for the Master degree and must be approximately 12,000 words. It is a theory/praxis-driven investigation into a relevant business or management issue. Each student conducts the thesis under the supervision of a faculty member.
Students are encouraged from the start of the programme to think about a topic for their thesis. Master theses are processed and managed jointly by the Programme Office team and the Programme Director.
Submission Deadline: December 2021
At national and international level: Specialists, Project Managers, Analysts, Consultants, Operators, Brokers.
Graduates have gone on to work in companies such as E.ON, Total, EDF, Engie, Schlumberger, Wood Mackenzie, Schneider Electric, KPMG, Delloite, BNP Paribas, Ernst & Young, Goldman Sachs, Société Générale, JP Morgan, Uniper among others.
- 35% Energy
- 24% Banking & Finance
- 18% Consulting
- 5% Government & International Affairs
- 2% Automotive & Transportation
- 12% Other
Fees & Admission Process
- Tuition fees for the programme are set at £21,500 (all students, EU and non-EU). Travel and accommodation costs are not covered by the fees.
- There is an application fee of €130 for all applicants. Please note that the application fee is non-refundable.
- Candidates who apply by 6th February 2020 are eligible for an Early Bird Discount of £2,000.
Tuition fees may be subject to change. Scholarships are available.
To be eligible you must have completed your higher education to a level equivalent to a Bachelor degree in any discipline. Honours degrees are preferred (2:1 or equivalent from an overseas institution).
The MSc in Energy Management programme does not require any previous knowledge or work experience in the energy sector. However, we require our candidates to have at least one year of work experience (including internships in any industry).
Fluency in English
For non-native English speakers, we require the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL IBT: 100
- TOEFL written: 600
- TOEFL computer-based: 250
- IELTS: 7
- Step 1: Application form
- Step 2: Admission tests and interviews
- Step 3: Confirmation
- 5 January 2020
- 6 February 2020
- 22 March 2020
- 3 May 2020
- 14 June 2020
- 12 July 2020
- 5 August 2020
About the School
ESCP Business School is a unique school that attracts students and academics representing more than 100 nationalities to our London campus. Located in West Hampstead in northwest London, ESCP Business ... Read More