MSc in Electrical Power Engineering
Location: Abu Dhabi
Electrical Power Engineering is an important and vital discipline for paving the way to wide-spread integration of renewable and sustainable technologies. The Electrical Power Engineering Program covers a broad range of activities and evolving issues that are of great importance in the field of sustainable and smart power systems.
Electrical Power Engineering covers subjects related to the integration of renewable energy to power systems, power electronics applications and experimental design, power system stability and control, dynamic systems, control and optimization techniques in power systems. The program has been designed to provide students with technical knowledge in the area of power systems, in addition to mathematical tools that are necessary for developing new innovative solutions.
The mission of the Electrical Power Engineering Program at Masdar Institute is to provide students with the fundamental knowledge, skills, and professional experience necessary for successful careers in industrial or academic roles that involve alternative energy and sustainable technologies. Graduates of the Electrical Power Engineering Program at Masdar Institute will be able to work collaboratively, conduct independent and multidisciplinary research, communicate effectively and recognize their role in solving global challenges, while simultaneously promoting sustainable engineering principles.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Electrical Power Engineering Master of Science program, graduates are expected to attain the following outcomes:
- Successfully apply advanced concepts of fundamental sciences and engineering to identify, formulate and solve complex electrical power engineering problems.
- Successfully apply advanced concepts of electrical power engineering to the analysis, design, and development of electric systems, components, equipment or applications to meet desired needs of society professionally and ethically.
- Use advanced techniques, skills, and modern scientific and engineering software tools for professional practice.
- Successfully apply advanced concepts of electrical and power electronics engineering to design and develop electric/electronic hardware systems for effective renewable energy conversion, control, and power delivery.
- Use an advanced approach to design and conduct experiments, and to analyze and interpret data.
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form, both, individually and as a member of a multidisciplinary team, and thus to put forward the scientific findings at national and international levels successfully.
Electrical Power Engineering research at Masdar Institute is aimed at providing major advancements in key areas of electrical design and operation of renewable energy systems and sustainable technology. Specific research topics include, but are not limited to, smart grids, modeling and control of inverters for renewable energy sources, innovative protection and control techniques in power systems and electric machine design. Examples of ongoing Electrical Power Engineering research activities at Masdar Institute are as follows:
- Smart grid control and protection
- Impacts of renewable energy on power systems
- Electricity market operation with stochastic sources
- Demand side management
- Renewable generation modeling
- Power electronic converters for renewable energy sources
All students for all programs are required to take four program core courses. In addition, each student must complete the following:
- Three elective courses from any program with the approval of advisor
- One university core course – Sustainable Energy
- 24 credits of thesis work (3 for 1st year Fall; 3 for 1st year Spring; 6 for Summer; 6 for 2nd year Fall; 6 for 2nd year Spring)
- A relevant undergraduate degree - undergraduate degrees must be in the fields of science, engineering or information technology
- CGPA - The minimum required for consideration for admissions is 3.0 on a scale of 4.0
- GRE scores - The minimum score required on the GRE Quantitative is 700 (or 155 on the new scale). There is no cut-off score for the Verbal and Analytical but these scores are also important and evaluated. The GRE exam cannot be waived.
- TOEFL (or academic IELTS) - The minimum TOEFL score required is 91 (Internet-based) on the international TOEFL. Equivalent paper/computer-based TOEFL is also accepted. The TOEFL can only be waived for native English speakers. The minimum academic IELTS score required is 6.5.
- High grades and scores are a prerequisite but are no guarantee of admission. Admission standards are in accordance with those of MIT.
About the School
Masdar Institute of Science and Technology is the world’s first graduate-level university dedicated to providing real-world solutions to issues of sustainability. A world-class research-driven univers ... Read More