Do you want a high flying, well paid economics career in government, business or finance? Do you have excellent critical thinking and analytical skills and are you a good communicator?
Economics plays an important role in the business world providing an understanding of the motives and actions of customers, suppliers, competitors, employers and financiers. It’s also crucial for informing the strategic and operational decision making of managers and directors. On this degree, you’ll acquire transferrable skills that will make you highly sought after by employers across the public and private sectors, and accelerate you into a high earning career.
Your MSc Economics programme at Swansea University is designed for graduates in economics related subject areas who are looking for an advanced programme to enhance their career or explore further research opportunities.
You will develop the skills and expertise required of the professional economist, whilst developing your ability to understand and conduct innovative research in both theoretical and applied situations.
The sophisticated and multi-faceted transferable skills you’ll acquire on this course will open doors or provide stepping-stones to a wide variety of other less specialist career paths in commerce, industry and academia.
Why Economics at Swansea?
- All modules are taught by our world-class faculty who have industry and academic knowledge
- Our staff regularly advise organisations and government agencies with policy development and economic research and publish international learning research journals
- Swansea University was voted Second in WhatUni? Student Choice Award 2019 - Postgraduate study
- Swansea is joint 1st in Wales for international ranked research (Research Excellence Framework 2014)
- Swansea is 1st in Wales for world-leading impact - 60% at 4-star level (REF 2014)
- Based in the £22 million School of Management building on the new Bay campus
Your Economics Experience
From the moment you arrive at the School of Management we will work with you to help build your skills and experience to enhance your career prospects.
You will have unlimited one to one bespoke careers advice from our dedicated careers team. You can go on a work placement or internship through the Swansea Paid Internship Network (SPIN) or the Week of Work initiative.
We have strong links with a range of high-profile organisations including Dell and Ernst and Young.
All our students benefit from co-location with industry at the innovative Bay Campus, working alongside companies such as Fujitsu, in facilities that boast dedicated teaching space and study areas, and extensive IT facilities equipped with the latest hardware and specialist software.
Economics Employment Opportunities
We have an excellent track record of placing our graduates with major multinational companies.
Your MSc Economics programme will give you the skills to forge a thriving career in a competitive environment across a variety of sectors.
Your next role could be in any of these:
- Investment banking
- Management consultancy
Students must attain a minimum 2:2 (or overseas equivalent) in an economics related undergraduate degree.
Non-native English speakers must achieve an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with no component less than 5.5. A list of equivalent tests is provided here. If you have studied an undergraduate degree taught through the medium of English, you may be exempt from this requirement – click here for further information.
For students who fall short of only the English language requirement, we offer a range of Pre-Master's training programmes that you may take before starting your Master's qualification.
Careers and Employability
Swansea Employability Academy (SEA) will support you at each stage of your career journey helping you build a bright future.
Our career support services include:
- Employability workshops, employers’ talks, bespoke events and careers fairs
- Individual advice and guidance from professionally qualified Careers Advisers
- Help with finding jobs, internships, work placements and volunteering opportunities
- Access to information resources on a wide range of career management topics
- Funding to support student internship opportunities and Student Society/Club events.
We also provide help and advice for Swansea University Alumni up to two years after you graduate.
The School of Management also has a dedicated in-house Employability team offering additional support.
During your time with us, you’ll have the chance to:
- Join our Employability Mentoring scheme and get mentored by an employer who can help you with the transition from student to working professional
- Get the opportunity to speak to our growing Alumni Community
- Work and network with employers from a range of national and multi-national companies through our seminars and events
- Boost your skills and meet employers during our Employability Module, which is run twice a year
- Participate in our Business in the Bay competition and compete against other university students
- Complete the Swansea Employability Award
Discover how our in-house Careers Service can support you.
About the School
Swansea University is a research-led university that has been making a difference since 1920. The University community thrives on exploration and discovery, and offers the right balance of excellent t ... Read More